Oscars to establish "popular film" category

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
Apparently desperate to bring back the audience who every year sighs "I've not seen ANY of the nominees for Best Picture," the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has decided to add a category "designed around achievement in popular film."

This seems wrong-headedly snobbish to me. They're essentially saying there are "good" films (those that might make over 20 million if they're lucky, but are created by "artists") and popular films (the trash that audiences actually go to see.) I suppose this will allow them to recognize Black Panther this year, a film that moved and spoke to millions, without sullying their hands by awarding "Best Picture" to something that actually made a profit. Like splitting off animated movies, this step creates an artificial divide in the discussion of what is a "good" film.

The original Oscars had no such divide. They recognized some work that was not, perhaps, going to stand the test of time, but movies were not, up to the 1960s, considered an art form so rarified you had to spilt the popular from the artistic. Perhaps a better solution would be to revise the voting so that "Best Picture" nominees reflect those with enough of an audience that, whatever their merits, they have an impact on general society, not just the Academy itself.

Where, I wonder, would you place Best Picture winners like "Casablanca," "Gone with the Wind," "Going My Way" and "The Sound of Music" today? Popular or "art"?

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
So "Black Panther" can't be art but "Gladiator" must be art?

[headdesk] Headdesk [/headdesk]

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh. Someone really wants Michael Bay to have "Oscar Winning Director" behind his name?? These movies don't need awards, they win all the money at the box office.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently desperate to bring back the audience who every year sighs "I've not seen ANY of the nominees for Best Picture," the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has decided to add a category "designed around achievement in popular film."

This seems wrong-headedly snobbish to me. They're essentially saying there are "good" films (those that might make over 20 million if they're lucky, but are created by "artists") and popular films (the trash that audiences actually go to see.) I suppose this will allow them to recognize Black Panther this year, a film that moved and spoke to millions, without sullying their hands by awarding "Best Picture" to something that actually made a profit. Like splitting off animated movies, this step creates an artificial divide in the discussion of what is a "good" film.

The original Oscars had no such divide. They recognized some work that was not, perhaps, going to stand the test of time, but movies were not, up to the 1960s, considered an art form so rarified you had to spilt the popular from the artistic. Perhaps a better solution would be to revise the voting so that "Best Picture" nominees reflect those with enough of an audience that, whatever their merits, they have an impact on general society, not just the Academy itself.

Where, I wonder, would you place Best Picture winners like "Casablanca," "Gone with the Wind," "Going My Way" and "The Sound of Music" today? Popular or "art"?

I disagree with your premise on both sides I think.

Forrest Fucking Gump beat both Pulp Fiction and Shawshank Redemption.

Titanic beat Good Will Hunting and L.A. Confidential.

Those are the times I recall off the top of my head when the Academy went with the big-money popular choice over actual good films. They've also gone with popular good films -- Braveheart, Silence of the Lambs...

I think there are a lot of problems with the Academy, including, until very recent changes are starting to maybe move it along, the demographics of the voting membership, but I don't think they consider good films just those with small takes, or those made by "artists" (presuming you mean the more small-picture esoteric type directors), as they've given best director to Cameron, Zemeckis, Ron Howard (the year A Beautiful Mind, which is a simple-minded piece of crap, won best picture), and I'd wager others back in the day. I've also thought stuff should be nominated that wasn't (like everyone else, as it's just opinion), like Skyfall, but imo general 'I haven't seen any of the nominated movies' thing speaks more to both the decline in ticket sales and America's crap tastes than to the Academy purposefully nominating only 'arty' pics.

Last year's top five bo draws were (from 1-5) Star Wars, Beauty and the Beast, Wonder Woman, Jumanji, and Guardians of the Galaxy 2. The seventh top grosser was It, and past that, unless it's a franchise (Fast and the Furious whatever is in the top 10), comic book or cartoon, is Dunkirk, in 14th place,

The year before, the top ten are: Star Wars, Finding Dory, Captain America, Secret Life of Pets, Jungle Book, Deadpool, Zootopia, Batman v. Superman, Suicide Squad, and Sing. See a pattern? People go to cartoon, franchise, and comic movies kind of overwhelmingly. That's not to say some can't be 'good' movies, but in general, these aren't films with amazing scripts, plots or themes that stay with you, make you think... which I suppose kind of boils down to what someone considers a 'best picture' nominee should be.

I don't think it should just be the thing more people saw or the big box office draw, and I think the new category is hella stupid. That's why they ostensibly increased the potential # of nominees to 10, to allow inclusion of different films. Just awarding something to a popular thing to get people to tune in is ... maybe just accept that not as many people tune in and dial the ad buys back rather than this.

Last edited:

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score

I agree it seems snobbish but a lot more media is produced these days and it does seem to have created a class divide among consumers. In the time of Casablanca, the good ones won prizes because they were good; they just also happened to win at the box office. I figure the investment in films was a bit more holistic at that time; they needed to both appeal to audiences and critics. Now, it seems more a choice of one or the other. I love me a good action blow-em-up blockbuster, but I can't stand how far in that direction some people have taken that trope. I'm even falling off in interest in the superhero genre now. I've been to indie theatres more times this year than any other.

In terms of which movies will be remembered 60 years from now and how they'll be remembered, it will be the ones that make money first, then the ones recognized with awards for other reasons. If we start giving awards out to the films that are already going to be remembered for ROI alone, we're diluting the possibility that the ones awarded for other reasons will be forgotten.

[as an aside, I recall a convo with a university lit prof, who insisted that a book was good because it had been a best seller its time. the only response I could think of was "so, like, Twilight?"... she was not impressed]

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Um... aren't there already People's Choice awards, and others decided by popular vote? How is this different, except the name and presumed prestige?

The Oscars have unfairly looked a lot of very good movies in favor of some very forgettable ones (politics - part of every awards structure), but I don't see this doing much about that except creating a category that practically screams,"We, the people who Know What Good Movies Are, couldn't be bothered to honor this film, but you, the mindless ticket-buyers with more money than taste, stuffed the ballot box sufficiently to give it an award, so we have to let it share the stage, if briefly."

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It also brings up the question of how nominees would be decided as separate from Best Pic nominees.

DepressedbutnotDead

Registered
Reaction score
I've always thought that some of the best movies have a blend of both - they are popular without giving up their artistic ambitions. I think this is why Spielburg is so popular - he could regularly hit that magical blend between attracting both a popular and a artistic audience and satisfying them both. Now, as for the Oscars, I think it is merely a way to get more people involved in their shows. They know more people are going to tune in if they are rating movies more people have seen. I think it is an interesting idea and a good way to put some fun fluff in when so much of it is dry and boring.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What's next Oscar Razzies? It's unneeded and cynically classist, imo.. Good movies can be popular.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score

This seems wrong-headedly snobbish to me.

This isn't necessarily the Academy's preferred option. Ratings in the last few years have been distastrously low and ABC, who is locked into a contract with the Academy for broadcast rights through 2028, put a lot of pressure on them to add the category.

If you measure by box office, a majority of the "most popular" movies in the last few years have all been released by Disney. This year, Black Panter is by far the most popular. And of course we all know that ABC is owned by Disney.

Last edited:

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
It might work well or badly. I'm keeping an open mind & will watch how this plays out. I'll be especially interested in exactly how they do this. It will (as others have pointed out) take careful handling to keep from clashing with the Best Picture category.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Besides, you can't really judge 'popular' film based on one year. Maybe it came out at a time of little competition, or was head and shoulders above anything else in it's year.
Some films don't do well in 'their' year, and yet over time gather an audience.
There should be a long-term award for films that remain popular for, say, a decade, at least.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com

Not entirely surprised; from the article, it definitely sounds like someone's mouth ran ahead of their brains in even announcing the possibility.

(And I still say a "people's choice" is a bad idea for the Oscars as that's pretty much covered in other award shows.)