Quote Originally Posted by aspirit View Post
One of the recent examples is misgendering of Bogi Takács leading up to Worldcon. The convention committee was publicly called out for using "he" instead of "e" in a bio.
Yeah, that was the specific situation I was thinking of. I think it's good that our society has reached a point where there are more authors who are out and where failures like this create conversations that are not completely hostile toward the author, but it's still a lot of pressure that authors don't automatically choose to sign up for simply because they aren't cis. Non-binary people are also a "novelty," and there are people who have a trans 101 level of understanding about how to treat binary trans people who pass but who struggle with people who are non-binary or who don't fit expected gender norms.

I think it's understandable to be worried about worse scenarios, too. There are people online who specifically go out of their way to mock or criticize trans/non-binary people, and sometimes it's directed at the people themselves. I don't feel like my chances of being targeted by a harassment campaign are too high, but that's a worst case scenario that's possible.