DIY desk chair mat?

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
Hey all, I am looking for suggestions on DIY desk chair mats. For years, we've never used chair mats and have ruined our linoleum floor. Now that we're moving to a house with a nice hardwood floor, I'd like to keep it nice. Desk chair mats are expensive!

Do you have any ideas for a cheaper alternative or a DIY project?

I did Google. They suggest wood mats, but I'm not too keen on that idea as I would rather plastic or some kind of transparent. Something not too difficult to make, either.

Thanks!

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Not DIY, but cheaper, depending on where you shop.
I don't know how they would hold up under heavy chair use, but, assuming you want something smooth (to roll on) but not likely to skid out from under you, how about one of those non-skid plastic bath mats? They come in tub-floor-sized panels, for those of us who want more coverage than individual flowers or duckies.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Consider a plastic carpet protector mat--the kind without spikes to hold it in place on the carpet. Here's one that's 26 inches by 72 inches, probably enough to make two.

Another possibility is a small flat-surface rug, the kind intended for kitchens or entryways. Like this or this. Just avoid any that are padded or have memory foam, since the weight of a chair and person will tear those up pretty quickly. FWIW, I've seen small rugs like that at thrift stores.

Maryn, going to Goodwill today, probably

mrsfauthor

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all, I am looking for suggestions on DIY desk chair mats. For years, we've never used chair mats and have ruined our linoleum floor. Now that we're moving to a house with a nice hardwood floor, I'd like to keep it nice. Desk chair mats are expensive!

Do you have any ideas for a cheaper alternative or a DIY project?

I did Google. They suggest wood mats, but I'm not too keen on that idea as I would rather plastic or some kind of transparent. Something not too difficult to make, either.

Thanks!

I bought this inexpensive chair mat and it works quite well, looks good and hardwood is fine. You have to follow the directions to unroll it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078CY3JG8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1