Market near-future SF as contemporary fiction?

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
I've been going back and forth on this question: If it takes place in the future is it automatically SF? Particularly if the future is fairly near.

My latest book is only ten years out. I was inspired by Tom Clancy's The Hunt for Red October, made into a movie starring Sean Connery. It's a trilogy that leads up to a war with China. It has broken into three parts, and one of the "New Chinas" decides to shore up its citizens' shaky allegiance by focusing attention on an external threat.

I'm an aerospace engineer who's worked at the forefront of industry, so I made some modest projections of future tech development. Some of them are in aerospace, such as a one-stage-to-orbit spaceplane. It is based loosely on a project I worked on just before I retired from Boeing.

Other developments are in popular computer tech, such as VR/AR headsets. These are based my experience with current models. I'm guessing that in ten years they will become so light weight, cheap, and convenient that many people will routine wear one, the same way many people nowadays carry smartphones.

Overall, however, the tone and focus of the book is on life little different from now, so is it really SF? Should it be marketed as contemporary literature or SF?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Technothriller is what comes to mind as a marketting category

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Take my opinion with a large dose of salt because I lack the experience of many others on this site. I'm also a recovering Engineer like you - Silicon Valley startups for me though - and am pursuing writing after retiring.

So, with that disclaimer...

I think that if science plays a large role in the plot then it's SciFi, otherwise I'd consider it speculative or contemporary fiction.

nickj47

Registered
Reaction score
I like waylander's 'technothriller' for present-day sci-fi. If it's a thriller. Otherwise that probably won't work. A lot of Crichton's stories were present-day sci-fi, how were they classified?

BT Lamprey

Registered
Reaction score
This makes me think of Pattern Recognition by William Gibson, and Reamde by Neal Stephenson. Both are classified as Technothrillers.

rgroberts

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Technothriller/mainstream fiction. I'm in the same boat, working on a book/potential series that is a near-future WWIII (set in the 2030s). I've had to extrapolate a lot of technology, too, although mine is mostly naval, given my background. I love SF, but there's nothing SF about what I'm writing. It's far to close to now for that.