Saudi Arabia Feud With Canada Heats Up

Davy The First

Registered
Reaction score
This is a new one, to me anyway.

Emboldened by Trump indirectly, I suspect.

Ah, Canada, where did the rest of us go so wrong....? (edit, most of us)

This might just bring the shadows into the light.

BEIRUT, Lebanon — Saudi Arabia took concrete steps to disengage economically from Canada on Wednesday, escalating the feud over Canadian criticism of Saudi rights abuses and demonstrating that its expulsion of the Canadian ambassador this week was more than a symbolic protest.

The kingdom announced on Wednesday that it would no longer send its citizens to Canadian hospitals and that it would withdraw resident physicians from Canadian hospitals.
It earlier said it would suspend flights by Saudia, the national carrier, to Canadian airports starting Monday and informed traders that it would not buy Canadian barley or wheat.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/08/...-canada-rights.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Last edited:

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
someone is feuding with canada? that's just...weird....

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Well, the human rights abuses of the Saudis are pretty horrific.

And Trump has certainly emboldened autocrats and torturers the world over.

And Canada has tended to fall rather more on the human rights and decency side of things than otherwise.

So ... weird, but not beyond all possibility.

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
*cough*Kushner*cough*

...Kushner, President Donald Trump's son-in-law and senior adviser,had access to the briefing , a highly sensitive intelligence update meant to be seen by only the president and his top advisers, before being stripped of his top-secret security clearance last month. ...

Last edited:

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
And Canada has tended to fall rather more on the human rights and decency side of things than otherwise.
And Canada's government is still selling arms to the Saudis and so needs to make themselves look a little better at home because right now, the Liberals look like hypocrites willing to sell guns to anyone.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-saudi-arms-deal-1.4579772

"The $15 billion agreement was given the further blessing of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's Liberal government in the spring of 2016 when it began issuing permits for the export of the combat vehicles."

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
All I can say is: go, Canada!

Someone has to stand up for human rights, and too much of the rest of the world has abdicated on this.

(And, yeah, I'm sure there's some face-saving and backroom deals - no country has clean hands in this world, near as I can tell - but still...)

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Someone has to stand up for human rights, and too much of the rest of the world has abdicated on this.

Hmmm. Right.

On the down side Raif Badawi and his sister Samar are not about to be freed anytime soon.

-cb

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
All I can say is: go, Canada!
Go Canada on selling Saudi Arabia military vehicles that they use against their own citizens? I linked the article above, but the things that Trudeau described as "jeeps" are actually:

"The order also includes 119 LAV 6 vehicles of the "heavy assault" type, with powerful 105 millimetre canons affixed to their turrets, which were still under development at the time the documents were written. Another 119 are configured as "anti-tank" vehicles and a further 119 are designated as "direct fire" support, with a two-man turret and 30 millimetre chain gun."

and then goes on to describe:

"images surfaced online that showed Canadian-made armoured vehicles, manufactured by another company, being used by the Saudi state in its long-running conflict against the Shiite population in Qatif, a restive portion of eastern Saudi Arabia."

So, no, not impressed with this at all.

Last edited:

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Trudeau had his chance to correct it. He didn't.

Pulling out from agreements from made by past administrations is easy. It's dealing with the consequences that's often more difficult. Recent examples: the Iranian deal, the Paris accord, Brexit, and the TPP.

-cb

Last edited:

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
Pulling out from agreements from made by past administrations is easy. It's dealing with the consequences that's often more difficult. Recent examples: the Iranian deal, the Paris accord, Brexit, and the TPP.

-cb
I'm comfortable with the consequences of not trading with Saudi Arabia. Liberals, not so much.