Saying high is a little nerve wracking but here goes...

musicblind

May Cause Damage
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a little nervous about making this post. Not that you guys are vicious or anything. It's not you, it's me. It's more the whole, 'first impressions last,' thing and that most of my posts online are full of typos and grammatical errors.

Anyway, here goes nothing. Please don't hate me:

Why I'm here: I've really enjoyed reading through these boards and decided to join.

Where I'm from: I'm from North Carolina.

What genres do I write: I write mostly LGBT fiction, but not really erotica or romance. Of course, some of it does have romance involved but that's not the niche I go for. I tend to write about teenage characters, but I'm not sure my books are really for teenagers. My books tend to be NC-17, but it's more for violence, curse words, and touchy themes like suicide, sexual assault, and drug use than it is for sex scenes.

How Long Have You Been Writing: I wrote my first novel in 7th grade. I'm now in my 30's. I've been published three times by a small indie publishing house. However, compared to what some of you have accomplished, that isn't super impressive.

Do you beta-read?: Well, I have before but it's not something I'm the greatest at. I'm picky, I tend to be too blunt, or sometimes I say the wrong thing. I'm also not as knowledgeable as some others out there. If a book really strikes my interest, I'm not opposed to it. I mean, reading is fun because... reasons.

Do you have any particular hobbies? Are you an expert in any particular field or craft?: I am a circus artist. I spin plates, juggle, perform devil sticks, staff, poi, and trapeze among other things. I figure skate, I play guitar, bass, and keyboard, I am nightlife entertainer, I went to film school and have worked on a few films, I directed a feature-length documentary about drag pageantry. I promote/produce LGBT nightlife events and drag pageants in multiple states. I also promote/produce male entertainment contests in multiple states. From time to time, I compete. I'm a former Mr. NC Entertainer of the Year, Mr. KY Entertainer of the Year, Mr. Gay NC USofA, Mr. Gay Southeast USofA At Large, and Mr. Don't H8, among other titles. Oh, and graphic design. I love graphic design and photography. I run a small graphics business on the side. I do music mixes and video editing as well. Also, I like following politics and current events.

Other interesting facts?: I'm short. I wear a hearing aid.

So, with that said... Hey guys!

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Jennie

Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: to AW

I am impressed by all the things you do and you've done. How interesting!

musicblind

May Cause Damage
Registered
Reaction score
Oh wow, I shouldn't have been so nervous. You guys were really nice.

Jennie & Denevius, it's not as impressive as it sounds. It's just hectic, lol. A lot of it is just stuff I've always known and grown up around, so it's where I ended up. I do love what I do though and it impacts a lot of my stories. I've written five books (two sitting on my computer doing nothing) that all involve circus stuff, and a lot my books involve gay culture because I've been so immersed in it due to promoting and producing events in the LGBT community.

If anyone is reading this and is ever writing about those topics, and have questions, I'd be glad to answer any questions for free. You can just inbox me. If I don't know an answer, I can try and find it out for you. I think there should be more books on those topics, so I'd be glad to help with any research for books about circus, film, theater, or drag culture and LGBT nightlife events.

If anyone designs their own covers or artwork, I'd also be glad to give free advice about photoshop or graphic design. Within reason. I can't make covers for people, but I'd be glad to give advice on how to get the most out of your photoshop. For the three books I published with Bechavn, a very small indie publisher, I had to beg and beg to be allowed to make my own covers. When I did, they didn't hate them. So, I might be able to give advice.

Also, if anyone has advice or a tutorial on how to use inDesign or how to get more out of my Scrivener program, I am very open to advice. I desicvered Scrivener because of lurking on this forum and it has changed the way I write books, but I'm very new to it and any help is appreciated!

I'm really flattered you guys think my life is interesting, and I'm really appreciative of how nice you were! Thank you!