Adding Another Academic Credential—Worth It?

Sassy411

Registered
Reaction score
The book is self-help, about relationships. Specifically, helping women recognize toxic relationship patterns. (Not my first book, the first on relationships).

In addition to work experience in mental health, my MS is in psychology. I also have a doctorate in a completely unrelated field, law. I am not a licensed therapist and have no wish to go through all of that at this stage. Though, I am a certified relationship coach.

The book is very well researched and I’m truly happy with it. So far.

So, at my very advanced age, I’m seriously considering going back to school to finish my PhD in psychology. There are several reasons why I’m leaning that way.

My question for all of you is, would that additional credential enhance my credibility as a relationship expert and author? Would you look for a PhD over an MS if you were buying a relationship book?

Thanks to all.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Really talented masterate holders are FAR better than average doctorate holders. Earning the PhD is just a credential.

Problems, at least in the U.S.....

The doctorate is a terminal degree. Once you earned one (J.D.), a lot of schools may not accept you for another doctorate (PhD or another professional doctorate). This is not to say this is not allowed, but trying to find funding might be extremely difficult.

I would earn a graduate certificate in something relational to relationship coaching or psychology. I would not invest the time to earn the PhD (if you do not want to teach or practice psychology with clients), not the expense.

There are a lot of underemployed and unemployed PhDs, at least in America. Some, in my field Higher Education, are working as academic advisors just to get a foot in the door to a professoriate position.

I got into a PhD program. They noted I could not use my master's classes to eliminate PhD class requirements, because the master's was a conferred degree. If I did not finish the degree, they would let me count them (but not accept me for not having a master's). Little things you have to think of and investigate (i.e. will your masters classes count to help shorten your PhD program).

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

How are you planning to publish this? Self or trade?

Which people are you marketing it to? Your clients and their word of mouth? The public at large?

And how well did your first book(s) do?

If your first book(s) didn't do so well and you plan to trade publish, then the PhD might be a good idea if you want to catch to eye of an agent or a publisher. If you plan to self publish or market it to your clients et al, then the PhD makes no sense. If your first books did great or you otherwise have a huge base of people interested in your work, then the PhD won't be necessary.

Hope that helps.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
My advice would be to resume your PhD study only if you are passionate about the research you are undertaking. I don't think it's worth the stress (and the expense, if you're in the USA) just to bolster your credentials as an author.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The book is self-help, about relationships. Specifically, helping women recognize toxic relationship patterns. (Not my first book, the first on relationships).

In addition to work experience in mental health, my MS is in psychology. I also have a doctorate in a completely unrelated field, law. I am not a licensed therapist and have no wish to go through all of that at this stage. Though, I am a certified relationship coach.

The book is very well researched and I’m truly happy with it. So far.

So, at my very advanced age, I’m seriously considering going back to school to finish my PhD in psychology. There are several reasons why I’m leaning that way.

My question for all of you is, would that additional credential enhance my credibility as a relationship expert and author? Would you look for a PhD over an MS if you were buying a relationship book?

Thanks to all.

I would certainly not say to go back to stick the credential on a book.

That said, if I were buying one, yeah, I'd look for a Ph.D (or Psy.D -- if you're interested in clinical work is there a reason you're not considering a Psy.D? God knows it's cheaper).

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Personally I would see a relevant Master combined with a license to practice as a therapist with clients more convincing than a PhD. I also have a slight tendency to roll my eyes at people who collect more than one PhD.

Errant_Fragments

Registered
Reaction score
My advice would be to resume your PhD study only if you are passionate about the research you are undertaking. I don't think it's worth the stress (and the expense, if you're in the USA) just to bolster your credentials as an author.

Very much seconding this... I did do a PhD and the thought of going through that if I wasn't committed to the research is terrifying, like PhD is a whole lot of very hard work. Of course if you want to do the PhD for its own sake then great, but definitely don't do it just for giggles.

I read a fair amount of non-fiction and while qualifications of the author are important, I believe most people can tell good solid work regardless of what letters are attached to the name.