KDP ebooks - x ray feature

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
I don't know a lot about this, I've just started to examine what it is. It is linking certain topics or keywords in your ebook text to textual or Wikipedia links. I can see where this might be useful for documentary non-fiction, but it seems a tad... pretentious for fiction. Does anyone here use this? Any input?

There is actually one action adventure author out there that hot links (not using x-ray) descriptions of various items, e.g. weapons, vehicles, to descriptions in his web site. I find that to be a detractor to the reading experience, personally. I would think x ray would be similar.

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
My thought is that Kindle X-ray might be handy for historical fiction or any works heavy on real-world cultural references. Maaaybe I'd consider adding articles to short fiction that ties into a larger world; I'd consider X-ray if the series was popular enough for supplemental content to interest buyers.

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
TBH, that's one of the reasons why I stopped reading on my Kindle. If was reading a book and I accidentally held down on someone's name for too long it would tell me things like who the character really was or who they chose to marry. It kept giving me spoilers and I was so mad.

Last edited:

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
I did it for a few of my books and haven't thought of it since. Might be a cool feature I guess but takes too much time to deal with.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Might be interesting/useful for reprints of books written in earlier times, when the authors didn't explain things that were commonplace then.
Or translations of books, where some readers might want some background on things that were well-known to the original readers.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
As interesting as new technology always is, I think this is a bit too much. I've read uncounted books during my lifetime, none of which had this feature, and enjoyed them all.