List of anachronisms

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
If you believe Carl Jung entire societies can project their own negative qualities onto others the same way individuals do. The more we try to run from or externalize our flaws the more powerful they get.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Well, he's, er, technically . . . dead. So anything goes? But he doesn't know he's dead. So his knowledge of things stops when he died, a few months before "In Flanders Fields". Anyway, I don't think it would be too "out of the way" to have him notice the poppies even before the poem came out.

he wouldn't have seen the poppies flower unless he was in the original British Expedionary Force. Poppies flower June - September and the first major action of the British forces was the battle of Mons at the end of August. The trench warfare so familiar as an image of WWI did not really develop until autumn 1914, after the poppy flowering season

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
waylander, poor George snuffed it on the Ides of March, 1915. :) He and some fellow officers were gathered to talk about an operation for later in the day (or the next day?), and he was shot in the head. He'd written home (quite cheerfully, really) about the trenches (he was pretty clearly trying to not distress Barrie).

Re witches: I was watching a program recently on Netflix and was really intrigued that James I, known for being very anti-witch, actually uncovered a father and daughter who were faking it to get revenge on someone. I mean, he was pretty high on the idea that witches were real, but he was *also* aware that people could and would falsely accuse neighbors for their own gain. James is a strange, slippery kind of figure.