Synopsis - how much "heart"?

unthoughtknown

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jennifersando.com
Hi there,

Sorry, I wasn't sure where to post this one.

I've written the synopsis for my novel for the aim of including it in an agent submission process -> traditional publishing.

How stylistically perky does it need to be? How much heart should it have? Should it read like more of a dry / matter-of-fact account?

Who can please link me to a successful synopsis for a contemporary romance book?

Thanks in advance!

MS KIKI

Banned
Reaction score
A synopsis should read as you say in a more matter-of-fact account. An interesting synopsis should be written in the style of the ms. If there is humor in the ms, use a humorous account. If there is sarcasm in the ms, use some sarcasm in the account. (Adjectives, adverbs.) Don't overdo though. Just place it in here and there. Hope this helps a little.

Most writers hate writing a synopsis. Not easy to do. Try googling "synopsis for romance novel". You might find some examples that way.

Last edited:

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
Just keep in mind the primary role of the synopsis should be to provide a quick overview/road map of your book's plot. If agents are asking for a synopsis, it's because they're interested in your writing, but want a quick look at the entirety of your plot to make sure that you don't have anything in there that's going to make them love the book, the suddenly... not. Like a turn towards a racist lynch mob apropos of nothing. Basically, an agent deciding to look at your synopsis means you've hooked them on the voice, now they just want to see now if the events of the book are as good as the voice, or whether you make some hard turns that they don't want to follow.

So definitely don't go overboard on injecting as much voice as possible. That's going to slow things down, and it won't help you at all if the synopsis just indicates some major plot problems that are telling the agent there's a serious structural issue here, but your voice is fine.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Synopses are not like queries. You don't have to have voice in them (although if you can find a way to slip it in a little that's fine) but the purpose of the synopsis is strictly to lay out the plot of the book and cover all the primary beats + any subplot beats that directly effect that main plot. They are, in general, a pain in the ass to write and not much fun to read, but they should give a prospective agent or editor a clear picture of how you take your characters from point A to point Z. (It's basically you demonstrating you understand how to tell a story - beginning, middle, end, escalating tension, conflict and resolution.) It's a road map and that's all it has to do.

There are a number of ways to put one together. Usually writing a little one sentence summary of each chapter and/or a one sentence summary of the beginning, middle, and end will give you something to work with. Then it's just a question of fitting it together so that it reads smoothly.

Best of luck.

unthoughtknown

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jennifersando.com
I gotta say - I thought the hard part was summarising the book in 300 words but I found a resourceful link on writing synopses that made it quite easy for me. The harder part is the style of it. Some people say don't make it to sales-y, nor too detailed, don't reveal too much - etc etc. And then I had an author tell me (one that is repped by an agent that I was planning on approaching) that often agents don't stick to what they are asking for!!! As in, they say not to make the synopsis read like a pitch, but they were the submissions she had more success with. Arrrrrrrrgh. Anyway, thanks for listening.

CharlesXav

Registered
Reaction score
I gotta say - I thought the hard part was summarising the book in 300 words but I found a resourceful link on writing synopses that made it quite easy for me. The harder part is the style of it. Some people say don't make it to sales-y, nor too detailed, don't reveal too much - etc etc. And then I had an author tell me (one that is repped by an agent that I was planning on approaching) that often agents don't stick to what they are asking for!!! As in, they say not to make the synopsis read like a pitch, but they were the submissions she had more success with. Arrrrrrrrgh. Anyway, thanks for listening.

Do you mind sharing that helpful link?

Anna Spargo-Ryan

Just pokin' about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.annaspargoryan.com
To add to the good advice already here, there's no reason your synopsis can't be voicey. People still have to read it and find it engaging, and it does still function as a marketing piece. I tend to think it's a wasted opportunity to strip it of what makes your book a joy to read.