• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Astronomy: What’s happened to our neighborhood’s most violent star, η Carinae?

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Astronomers propose a merger within a triple-giant-star system.

Ars Technica said:
During the 1840s, an apparently unremarkable star began to brighten. Over the course of roughly a decade, it became one of the brightest stars visible from Earth. Often, brightening like that means a supernova has destroyed the star, but η Carinae (or Eta Carinae) was still there when it was all over, and it underwent a number of smaller events over the ensuing century and a half.

Modern astronomy hardware has revealed that the resemblance to a supernova goes deeper than these early observations. Imaging of the complex nebula that surrounds η Carinae has revealed that a giant star had ejected roughly 10 times the Sun's mass worth of material into its surroundings during what's now known as the Great Eruption. Imaging also revealed that the system is a binary, containing a second enormous star in an eccentric orbit around the first.

We can't go back in time to observe the Great Eruption with modern instruments. But a team of researchers has been tracking its progress using echoes of light reflected off some dust that was more than 100 light years away from the star. The echoes reveal some material moving at a phenomenal speed—roughly 20,000 kilometers a second. That, combined with other unusual features of the system, led them to propose that there used to be three stars in η Carinae, and the outburst was the result of two of them merging.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Phew. I was worried for a moment that Eta Carinae had gone missing, which woulda been ominous. You really want to know where the most violent star in your neighbourhood is all times. It may be planning something.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Joining gangs, giving wedgies to dwarf stars, etc.

Robots

In the future where will I be ?
Registered
Reaction score
And I had told him that violence only begets violence and he'd die a gruesome death if he continued on his erroneous path !