Audio Book Recommendations

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for audiobooks that you particularly enjoyed *as audio books*.

Doesn't matter what genre/author. I'm looking for audio books that you enjoyed both for story and for audio/reader/narrator.

I'm just starting to pay much attention to them; I've casually listened to a handful, but the quality was all over the place from really good to really bad computer text to voice.

Last edited:

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I've recently started listening to audio books and have made good and bad choices so far. I quickly learned the narrator is of utmost importance.

I'm currently listening to Frederica by Georgette Heyer. It's my first foray into Heyer. The narrator, Clifford Norgate, is perfect. Heyer is perfect. I'm on disc 9 of 12 and I don't want it to end.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I’ve listened to a couple hundred audiobooks - I’m a huge fan. Some of my favorites - some of the best-narrated audioboks I can think of - include:

Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte, read by Thandie Newton. Big-name actors often don’t do particularly better than Audible’s professional voice actors, but Thandie Newton did such an amazing job with this classic - I seriously can’t overstate how awesome it is.

Anathem, Neal Stephenson, read by William Dufris. Bill Dufris is one of my favorite readers anyway, but I love the way he brings the characters in this book to life with his voice work (with some help from Kevin Pariseau on a few of the characters).

Code Name Verity, Elizabeth Wein, read by Morven Christie and Lucy Gaskell. This novel has two of the most delightfully strongly-voiced narrators I’ve encountered in recent years, and these two readers do an absolutely marvelous job with them.

If I flip back through my library I am sure I can find more - but these three are so wonderful that I can remember them off the top of my head. (I have listened to each of them twice or more.)

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
These are great; thanks so much!

innocentbystander

Registered
Reaction score
I've learned over the past few years of buying audio books that the narrator is, indeed, vitally important.

A recent gem I found is Robin Miles narrating N.K. Jemisin's Broken Earth trilogy. The first book is entitled "The Fifth Season". Ms. Miles is extraordinary - I feel like she's sitting right next to me cozily telling me this fascinating story. The books have 1st, 2nd, and 3rd person POVs, and it surprised me how intimate and right the 2nd person POVs felt with her narration - I'd never encountered that before.

Another series that springs to mind is pure popcorn, but a great marriage of character and narrator - the Joe Ledger series by Jonathon Maberry. (First book entitled "Patient Zero".) Ray Porter does the narration, and he captures the main character's personality to a 'T' and does a very good job of differentiating the various characters' voices. He's also quite good at handling female character voices, which a lot of male narrators seem to struggle with.

I've discovered that more and more the narrator can make or break a book for me.

innocentbystander

Registered
Reaction score
I’ve listened to a couple hundred audiobooks - I’m a huge fan. Some of my favorites - some of the best-narrated audioboks I can think of - include:

Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte, read by Thandie Newton. Big-name actors often don’t do particularly better than Audible’s professional voice actors, but Thandie Newton did such an amazing job with this classic - I seriously can’t overstate how awesome it is.

Anathem, Neal Stephenson, read by William Dufris. Bill Dufris is one of my favorite readers anyway, but I love the way he brings the characters in this book to life with his voice work (with some help from Kevin Pariseau on a few of the characters).

Code Name Verity, Elizabeth Wein, read by Morven Christie and Lucy Gaskell. This novel has two of the most delightfully strongly-voiced narrators I’ve encountered in recent years, and these two readers do an absolutely marvelous job with them.

If I flip back through my library I am sure I can find more - but these three are so wonderful that I can remember them off the top of my head. (I have listened to each of them twice or more.)

Oh - great suggestions! -heads off to Audible to use up some credits-

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
A recent gem I found is Robin Miles narrating N.K. Jemisin's Broken Earth trilogy. The first book is entitled "The Fifth Season". Ms. Miles is extraordinary - I feel like she's sitting right next to me cozily telling me this fascinating story.

Robin Miles is an excellent reader. I’ve listened to both fiction and nonfiction read by her, and she’s always terrific. (Not all readers do an equally good job with both.) Her reading of We Need New Names, NoViolet Bulowayo, is probably my favorite of hers that I’ve listened to.

I told AW Admin I would flip through my library and se if there are any other performances that stood out beside those I listed above. Here are a couple more:

If you like Victorian literature (I do), then there are a stable of really excellent English readers whom you can always count on. Simon Vance is one - I’ve been listening to his readings of Trollope lately but he’s all over my library. Nadia May is another - her readings of George Eliot are among my favorites. Finally Wanda McCaddon’s reading of Vanity Fair, Thackeray, captures the satiric tone perfectly and is often laugh-out-loud hilarious.

The Bell Jar, Sylvia Plath, read by Maggie Gyllenhaal, surprised me. She has a relatively flat, affectless style, which ordinarily isn’t great for audiobooks, but really works brilliantly for the subject matter here. (I don’t recommend her reading of Anna Karenina.)

I generally stay away from audiobooks read by the author. Reading aloud is a very different skill from writing, and most authors can’t do it. Professional voice actors are really required, especially for fiction.

That’s probably enough for now. I have tons of audiobooks that I’ve enjoyed, and I could keep going, but the ones I mentioned in my post above are really a tier above anything else I’ve mentioned here. Have fun. :)

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I'll add one more: Bernadette Dunne's performance of We Have Always Lived in the Castle, Shirley Jackson, is excellent.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Robin Miles is an excellent reader. I’ve listened to both fiction and nonfiction read by her, and she’s always terrific. (Not all readers do an equally good job with both.) Her reading of We Need New Names, NoViolet Bulowayo, is probably my favorite of hers that I’ve listened to.

I told AW Admin I would flip through my library and se if there are any other performances that stood out beside those I listed above. Here are a couple more:

If you like Victorian literature (I do), then there are a stable of really excellent English readers whom you can always count on. Simon Vance is one - I’ve been listening to his readings of Trollope lately but he’s all over my library. Nadia May is another - her readings of George Eliot are among my favorites. Finally Wanda McCaddon’s reading of Vanity Fair, Thackeray, captures the satiric tone perfectly and is often laugh-out-loud hilarious.

The Bell Jar, Sylvia Plath, read by Maggie Gyllenhaal, surprised me. She has a relatively flat, affectless style, which ordinarily isn’t great for audiobooks, but really works brilliantly for the subject matter here. (I don’t recommend her reading of Anna Karenina.)

I generally stay away from audiobooks read by the author. Reading aloud is a very different skill from writing, and most authors can’t do it. Professional voice actors are really required, especially for fiction.

That’s probably enough for now. I have tons of audiobooks that I’ve enjoyed, and I could keep going, but the ones I mentioned in my post above are really a tier above anything else I’ve mentioned here. Have fun. :)

These are great; much appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

When you're looking for audiobooks, how do you look? Do you look for a title or author, or a performer/reader, or by genre . . .

Conrad Adamson

Registered
Reaction score
A great narrator can really enhance the experience. For that reason I look for books by the same narrators, such as Tim Gerard Reynolds and Peter Kenny. Narrators and authors tend to stick together, so following the author or the narrator is often the same result. I avoid books that are too thick to pay attention to while driving--I bought the text version of Blood Meridian for this reason. Neuromancer was on the edge of being too thick with information while driving but still manageable and enjoyable, I just had to hit the rewind button a few times to get everything that was covered.

I check every Audible daily deal and I have been quite pleased with some of my purchases from that.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
When you're looking for audiobooks, how do you look? Do you look for a title or author, or a performer/reader, or by genre . . .

Really, I look the same way I choose any other book to read. Audiobooks are my prime consumption of books these days(*). So when I come across a book I want to read, for whatever reason, I search Audible for it first. If it's there, and read by a performer rather than the author, I'll put it on my wish list. Only if the book isn't available in an audio edition will I look for it in print or eBook editions. As a result I've listened to a pretty broad variety of audiobooks; classics, contemporary fiction, nonfiction, essays, a handful of genre books.

For the most part the performances on Audible are very high quality, so I generally don't worry about listening to the sample before buying. As I said, I've listened to >200 audiobooks, and there are really only a handful for which the narration really got in the way. But you certainly can listen to the samples, and it's worth doing if you have hesitations. (When there are multiple audio editions, as sometimes happens with classics, I'll listen to the samples before I choose.)

Occasionally I've looked for performers I particularly like, to see what else they've read. (Audible lets you search by performer.) I mentioned William Dufris, who's a favorite of mine; I once searched for him, and discovered an edition of Huckleberry Finn performed by him. I probably wouldn't have listened to that book otherwise. Cassandra Campbell is another favorite of mine; when I searched for her, I discovered that she had mostly read romances, which isn't a genre of great interest to me. But she's turning up here and there in other places, too, and I've now listened to her reading a few different things. A reader I like can definitely tip the scales for a purchase I'm on the fence about.

I also go a little crazy in Audible sales - they have a daily deal and frequent 2-for-one sales (two books for one credit), half-price sales, and $5.95 sales (used to be $4.95, alas) that net me some very good deals on audiobooks. If an audiobook is cheap, I'm more likely to take a chance on something that wasn't otherwise on my to-read list - just as most of us do in physical bookstores, I'm sure!

(*) I'd say audiobooks account for about 75% of my book consumption. I do read with my eyeballs, but I'm much slower at it; my eyes are very tired after work, and I'm a slow reader anyway. Whereas I get a couple hours a day of good audiobook time, between my commute, exercising, household chores, and lying in bed with my eyes closed before sleeping.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
After Frederica *swoon* I made a couple of bad choices. But! Today I started Terry Pratchett's Nation and I'm in love again. :)

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm on a couple of facebook groups where the general interests of the other members parallel my own. I pick up lots of recommendations from there. It's like also-boughts on steroids.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I love the St. Mary's Chronicles by Jodi Taylor in audio. I think there are ten books in the series total, and a dozen or so short stories. I've read two of the books in physical format, but then I went and bought the Audio anyway. The books are good, but the narration by Zara Ramm is simply perfect.

They're rollicking, exciting, tragic, romantic, funny, dramatic time travel stories. I highly recommend.

Last edited:

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
As others have indicated, the verbal telling of a story can either totally make it or totally kill it. I'd been trying to do the audio version of the final GOT books as it's been hard to find the time to sit down and focus on the reading. It's been even harder with the narrator, Roy Dotrice. Others have found him enthralling, I found him distracting, and the pace is much too slow for me. I need the audio to go faster than what I can read at for a book like GOT and this was the opposite. I know I'm probably gonna catch he** for this, but it is my thought on the guy (may he RIP)...

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
As others have indicated, the verbal telling of a story can either totally make it or totally kill it. I'd been trying to do the audio version of the final GOT books as it's been hard to find the time to sit down and focus on the reading. It's been even harder with the narrator, Roy Dotrice. Others have found him enthralling, I found him distracting, and the pace is much too slow for me. I need the audio to go faster than what I can read at for a book like GOT and this was the opposite. I know I'm probably gonna catch he** for this, but it is my thought on the guy (may he RIP)...
So true. I desperately wanted to read Anne Leckie's "Ancillary Justice" so I picked it up on Audible. I didn't even make it through an hour. The narrator was simply terrible, like having Siri read the text to me. Awful.