jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Elric-Ani-front.gif

Influence. That's the one word use to categorize the effect The Elric Saga has had on me as a writer, reader and a creative for almost 22 years. Reading the six books over and over again, they never get tired.

"Elric of Melnibone" is the story of an albino prince, the 528th and last in line to the throne of the Isle of Melnibone. The island rules the known world with its race of graceful, cruel, in human (almost dark elf-like) citizens, who live amongst riches and splendor in the Dreaming City of Immryr. However, fate has something deeper in store for Elric -- who doesn't know he is the Eternal Champion (another Moorcock theme). His fate is intertwined with a magical, rune-carved sword called Stormbringer that steals the souls of men.

As mentioned, the saga takes place over six books -- Elric of Melnibone, The Vanishing Tower, The Sailor on the Seas of Fate, The Weird of the White Wolf, The Bane of the Black Sword and Stormbringer. Moorcock is an amazing writer whose fantasy/sci-fi credentials go almost unrivaled. He penned his first works at 14 and was the editor of a well-known science fiction magazine in England by 17. Current talks with the author may have Jude Law in the role of the Albino price for the movie.

Elric is the antithesis of Conan the Barbarian. He is a wholly depressing soul, whose fate, it seems, is summarily doomed. But his adventures are lively, dark and written with the splendor of an author dedicated to his craft.

As for that influence, the Saga resonates in me. Elric is the last emporer and his albinism makes him weak. Frail. In many ways, human. Other Melnibonians don't buy him as emporer because he must stave off weakness with potions, herbs and magic. Still, his human side makes for the most interesting points of the book. Those human qualities plsu the vivid imagery Moorcock paints have hit home since I was a teenager.

These are dark books, to be sure. They will not leaving you feel "happily ever after." They will, however, open a new doorway of fantasy you may not have been exposed to previously.

If you can, pick up the 1972 Elric versions. Easily found on eBay, these also have the finest cover art I've seen of the White Wolf, paintings by Michael Whalen. Occasionally, you can spot the graphic novel adaptations (skillfully done by P. Craig Russell, a brilliant comic book artist) and Michael T. Gilbert.

vr, Jason Tudor

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Yeah, wow, these books influenced me a bit, I was a Corum/Hawkmoon/Elric fangeek. The Bright Empire of Melniboné and the Dark Empire of Granbretan were fun places to be. Doomed Elric, hating himself for being weak, hating himself even more for relying upon the strength his soul-stealing sword gives him, an addiction he found impossible to kick. Moorcock's a damn genius.

-Derek
My Web Page - naked women, bestial sex, and whopping big lies.
Stop reading this and get some writing done instead.