Jean-Luc Picard Return

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
Wondered why Jean-Luc Picard was trending on twitter in the last day or so and then saw reports that Sir Patrick Stewart has apparently agreed to reprise his role as Star Trek's Picard. Like the news of a Buffy reboot, I am not sure what to think about this. I adore Patrick Stewart and was a fan of his work before Trek. Karla? Sejanus, anyone? So I hope he's landed a lucrative contract.

Still, like Buffy, I think all good things should come to an end. I have the horrors that this new series is going to trample all over my happy place.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-...with-patrick-stewarts-jean-luc-picard-706697/

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Considering Nimoy returned as Spock for a two-parter of Star Trek: The Next Generation and the recent Star Trek movies (playing against Zachary Quinto's being an alt-history version of Nimoy's character Spock Prime), from what I can tell Picard's return is probably more of the slipstreaming they'd done instead of a reboot/reimagining of ST: TNG.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
At this time, they don’t seem to know what they’re going to do with Picard, just that they’re setting it ~ 20 years since Nemesis (as we are in real time)

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
If they're moving the TL forward, I'm happy. If they avoid referencing the Abramsverse, I'm ecstatic.

*dusts off Starfleet membership, still a lowly ensign*

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Don't watch if you're afraid it will ruin something for you. But don't try to get the rest of us to avoid it to protect YOU.

I'd give it a chance - except I'd have to subscribe to CBS All Access and I refuse to sign up for yet another streaming service.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
According to the timeline set in the final ST:NG episode, "All Good Things," the series should pick up with Picard running his families vinyard in France, or at least bring him there in short order. Now that would be some inventive science fiction, a show set in the future where an old dude works with grape vines using ancient methods. But, I'm a huge fan of Picard, so I'm in the bag (if it ever comes somewhere I can watch it).

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
As ever, I think this will depend upon the quality of the writing.

Give Stewart decent material to work with and you'll get your money's worth.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
As ever, I think this will depend upon the quality of the writing.

Give Stewart decent material to work with and you'll get your money's worth.

Agreed...make it so! :)

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score

Oh yeah wow I'm so down. Safe to say the Borg are gonna be involved somehow.

ETA- Anyone else feel like the writers were contractually obligated by Stewart to jam in a pitbull somehow? Jean-Luc never struck me as a dog lover, and if he was I'd think he'd get a terrier or possibly a Belgian mal. OF COURSE, SirPatStew's passion for pitts is well documented and I for one am here for it. That guy does a lot of good with his rescue.

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Good trailer breakdown by Screenrant.

Everything looks great. I like the aesthetic, Federation maintains it's utopian/utilitarian look and feels more textured than it ever has. Uniforms haven't changed that much, seem like a step back from the movies towards the TNG outfits. Hope we'll see the Picard Maneuver again.

Looks like there will be Borgs AND Romulians, which I'm excited about because Romulians are my favorites and they always get underused IMHO. Part of the reason I enjoyed Nemesis, despite it being, well...Nemesis. Romulus seems like it's well-and-truly destroyed, so they're still trying to weld the Kelvin Timeline onto the regular one. I'm fine with this, but the Abrams movies are not the reason I joined Starfleet, so I hope there's nothing silly going on like them trying to close down the old continuity so they can move to the new one. Minor concerns.

Dollars-to-donuts Picard is still dealing with the PTSD he's carrying around over being turned into Locutus. I expect his alter-ego might even make a comeback.

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
(We never saw Nemesis because (reasons), but probably should.)

Didn't visit the screen rant analysis but I'm worried the storyline will be *heavy* borg and that gives me unease. I never cared for the borg thread through the story, and the girl in the trailer seems like she must be affiliated with the borg. I wonder if she's the new queen.

Of all the positivity and affirmation of ST, the futility of resisting the borg always felt really, really off to me, tonally, from the heart of the story-universe's intent. Borg--Loss of self determination, loss of free will, nothing but living in a cube as a disgusting robot with bad skin? Assimilation, yuck.

Having overcome the borg in the movies, only to bring them back now... I hope they are radically different--like a species with self determination and having abandoned assimilation.

Stewart would only be involved with the project if the story had real legs, so having voiced my concern, I'll watch and hope to love it. But I was bummed to see Borg in the trailer.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
The Borg were never my favorite. I wonder if part of the overarching storyline will be about reaching détente with them, eventually turning yet another enemy into an ally & broadening the coalition. Since that's such a big part of what Trek is, I think it's possible and would be very interested.

(We never saw Nemesis because (reasons), but probably should.)

It's not awesome, but not Final Frontier either. Definitely cheesy but, I mean, Star Trek. I'd put it behind the even-numbered TOS movies & First Contact but ahead of Generations and Insurrection.

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Well, you mentioned Insurrection, and now I'm wondering if I ever saw Nemesis, because I was picturing Insurrection and I'm realizing that there's more TNG movies than I thought there were. But I couldn't tell you much about Insurrection or Nemesis regardless. (Could quote First Contact, though)

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Strikes me as a nostalgia project doomed to fail. The worst kind of lazy money-grab: “We’re out of ideas, so let’s recycle previous series.” And I say that as someone with huge respect for Patrick Stewart.

Last edited:

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It could be a stale, doomed nostalgia project. But still, Patrick Stewart. Also, it's the first ST project in a while to really push the storyline forward in time, so it's got the potential to do something new, not just fill in the cracks and hit the mark in an established timeframe. Let's hope they don't fall back on same-old retread stuff.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, retreads and reboots of previously done work is superflous at best, but with Patrick Stewart in the credits, I am willing to give it a chance. I have never met a ST franchise I didn't like, and while some movies are better than others, like some above have mentioned, I'd rather have seen all of them as opposed to the opposite.

Being the armchair quarterbacks that we are, easy to curse those who chase the almighty dollar at the expense of treading new waters, but as many in these forums are always keen to note - there's no such thing as an idea that's not been thought of before, it's just how you interpret things in a new way. The same I suspect will hold for the ST franchise here.

Much like Star Wars has done the offshoot for Solo, it seems the more character focused trend is going to continue with Picard. I'm ok with that, and will give it the due consideration it deserves. Plus, if the trailer is any indication, perhaps a rebirth of Data will lend the potential for a character-focused movie on him as well. (Another one I'd be ok with...)

#Giddy_As_A_Schoolboy

Last edited: