Managing anxiety and depression

Soliloquill

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, all

Everyone says to write every day, and I try to do that. But when I have a bad week that's especially run me down, or I'm having anxiety about the quality of my writing, I don't have the cognitive ability to write. The only exception to this is if I happen to have a scene coming up that could feed off of that emotion, then I can get out a good piece. However, writing for me comes from a happy, peaceful place, and when my brain is foggy or distant from a batch of life coming at me, I struggle to focus on what I'm doing, much less the quality or word count. I try to get some words down regardless, but I usually wind up having to stop because I'm frustrated. Does anyone else have this issue?

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Of course. All the time.

You have two choices - either power through and hope that the results might contain a grain or two of something worthwhile, or step back and give yourself some breathing room.

We all go through this. You're not alone.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
+1 to mrsmig's response.

What works for me often depends. Sometimes I must take a break, and the best thing to do is acknowledge it, and forgive myself for not doing the YOU MUST WRITE EVERY DAY thing. Sometimes I can power through, and when I re-read the next day it's not nearly as bad as I thought it was while I was writing it.

You're not alone. Be kind to yourself. The words are there, and it's OK if they're not ready to come out yet.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone else have this issue?

And the issue where you wonder if you're talented enough, or educated enough.

And the issue where you compare yourself with others, and it's paralyzing.

And the issue where it's just not fun, and you wonder why you even want to write in the first place.

All very normal (I think). One foot in front of the other...

Robots

In the future where will I be ?
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I know exactly what you mean. I often felt this way too when I was writing, that I need to be in a certain light, almost carefree mood to be able to write well, unless what I'm writing has indeed got something to do with anger or anxiety etc.
It sometimes helps to do something else in situations like these - something that furthers your WIP (so that you don't feel guilty about not working on it) but isn't actually writing. This could be making outlines, doing factual research, looking up agents/publishers or similar things.

MS KIKI

Banned
Reaction score
The publishing business is not for the faint of heart . It can take a long time of writing and submitting to finally get an offer. For sure it takes talent but it also takes a lot of luck. Right timing and right agent/editor connections. The market changes -- what was once on every house's must have list can one day be passe. What you wrote might be very good but for market reasons "not right for the list". Publishing is a business, and some houses are ruled by the sales dept. They have a strong voice in who/what gets a contract.

So don't be discouraged. Believe in what you write. Write what interests you. Be persistent! Read whatever you can in your genre. Get a feel for what makes a good book. Read reviews. And when you need to take a break, do what Jonny B said -- change your focus by doing factual research and looking up agents/publishers. Stay connected. And did I say -- be persistent!

Last edited:

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I deal more with anxiety than depression, and writing tends to help me with anxiety. It focuses me and gives me an outlet for the feelings. But I think it’s absolutely natural to have days when you don’t want to write, and it’s absolutely okay not to write every day. Some days what you really need to do is take a long walk and be away from the computer, and on that walk, you may start having great ideas for your next chapter.

I tend to write “binge” style, like all day one day and not at all the next. Whatever works for you, works. But if you’re worried about having long-term writer’s block, if you feel like you need to force yourself to write regularly, it can help to break things down into smaller tasks. You might research, as others have mentioned. Or edit one chapter and then stop and go outside. Or (my favorite) write your next chapter in longhand, with none of the pressure of staring at a screen. (Maybe this is just me, but too many consecutive hours of screen time can trigger my anxiety and depression, and I often don’t realize this till it’s too late. When I’m really into the writing, I sometimes forget to move around, breathe deeply, eat on a sensible schedule, and all that good stuff.)

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Writing every day is a nice goal but not always doable. Like others above, I'm more of a binge writer. I have idea days, of just turning ideas over in my head. I have edit days. I have break days (and this is a necessary part of the process). I have kids-ate-all-my-time-days.

Very very rarely do I try to push through because very very rarely is it useful for me to do so; what I produce under those forced circumstances isn't up to scratch, usually.

Soliloquill

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, everyone :). I appreciate all the support and advice. I feel like less of a slacker now, seeing that it's more normal than I realized. It's a great help.

DepressedbutnotDead

Registered
Reaction score
Been dealing with anxiety and depression for a long time as well now as you echoed and in your post. Getting to do anything, let alone something creative, can be a real challenge when you are feeling low. Sometimes, I find writing about myself is the best way to get back in the groove - write about how you are feeling in the moment. On the other side of the coin, when I feel down, I know that if I do manage to push through and get back into my writing, it's a quick way to pick me up again.

If you are having a hard time writing, maybe just some reading, or watch a truly magnificent movie to inspire - those help me too. With depression, there are going to be those days you feel like a waste. I try and put those behind me as quickly as possible. Don't beat yourself up over it and just keeping moving forward. Sorry you are having a hard time right now and its affecting your writing.

Last edited:

rosegold

Registered
Reaction score
I’ve been feeling anxious about my writing lately, probably because this is my first submission. I’ll go for a run, usually with loud music, and once I get all the stress out of my system, I’ll take a long shower, read a book, or watch a movie.

I know it's not for everyone, but in the morning, I’ll feel a thousand times better.

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
What I've found to be quite helpful is setting a daily writing target that's so low it's impossible to miss. Like, sometimes it's been 'write one word'. Other times it's 100, 250, etc. Hitting a low-hanging target gives me a sense of achievement and satisfaction, which can help reverse the mental cycle. The trick is to fully pat yourself on the back if you meet the target, even if it is 'one word' and that one word is complete crap. If you're in a bit of a hole, you need to be really kind to yourself, reward yourself whenever possible, and celebrate every achievement, no matter how small.

You're definitely not a slacker. Managing mental health is something the majority of writers have to face, and it's not easy.

:Hug2:

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
I’ve been feeling anxious about my writing lately, probably because this is my first submission. I’ll go for a run, usually with loud music, and once I get all the stress out of my system, I’ll take a long shower, read a book, or watch a movie.

I know it's not for everyone, but in the morning, I’ll feel a thousand times better.

Yeah I definitely get this. When I used to run, it would give me a sense of accomplishment, which lifted my mood regardless of what my writing was doing. When the writing isn't going so well, I think the trick is to find something to accomplish every day, to cultivate better self-esteem and satisfaction.

Cascada

Registered
Reaction score
I've dipped in and out of depressive periods and anxiety. There tends to be an undercurrent of subtle anxiety which presents itself through OCD symptoms. I'm a trained counsellor and spiritualist, and it's second-nature for me to dig into the toolbox and mentally search for coping techniques for challenging days. I'll use breathing, EFT (tapping), affirmation, meditation, good old spring cleaning....even a lazy day of gaming or TV show bingeing helps.

Don't put pressure on yourself. Take each day as it comes.

Music is also energising. Have a good dance, or use it to relax, or inspire your writing.

NMC70

Registered
Reaction score
Hi - I can totally relate - and some things I have found helpful:
1. To make my writing area and clothes appealing and comfortable - little totems and affirmations, books I like, sometimes I light a candle
2. Reading 10 pages of something lovely (poetry; something sad if I'm sad; something funny if I'm punchy, etc.) before I start writing
3. Following Julia Cameron's Morning Pages routine - letting myself write gibberish of everything that's bothering me, for 3 pages (a kind of brain dump of all that's upsetting me), before I start the real writing, as a warm up
4. Taking the pressure off - letting myself have low "quotas" for the day - "I will just read this page and tinker with it" or "I will just rearrange things that jump out at me" or "I will write 100 new words of prose" - this gets me into the mood to write faster
5. Promising myself rewards: if I write for 45 minutes, I can order a new [insert something here]
6. Posting a list of my writing successes in my writing area, such as positive feedback on my writing and stories published
7. Remembering that whatever draft I"m working on is not the final draft, and I never need to share it with anyone until I feel like it. Until then, it's just something I'm playing with and working on, until I like it enough to show it. Having safety/privacy around my process - "containment" Julia Cameron calls it - helps me get in the mood to write faster
8. Yummy food and drink - coffee, seltzer, snacks
9. A nice journal for scribbling into - sometimes I draw things or make lists - like a wish list "I wish I could experience _______" or a gratitude list "I am grateful this week for ________"
10. Soft music, if that doesn't bother your writing process

Those are just a few. Good luck, we all struggle with this.
Peace.