• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Bribing yourself

kindratiah

Registered
Reaction score
How (if at all) do you reward yourself for meeting your writing goals?

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
The more creativity I have, the more creativity I find. It's almost like it'll never max out. Creativity inspires more creativity.

When I'm done writing a story I get super inspired and I almost immediately begin songwriting. It's not an intentional reward, it just sort of happens that way. Feels really nice to have a second product at the end of it all.

kindratiah

Registered
Reaction score
The more creativity I have, the more creativity I find. It's almost like it'll never max out. Creativity inspires more creativity.

When I'm done writing a story I get super inspired and I almost immediately begin songwriting. It's not an intentional reward, it just sort of happens that way. Feels really nice to have a second product at the end of it all.

I can relate! My writing feeds and motivates my visual art, and vice versa.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Bribe is a bad thing; rewards are good.

It's rare, but I've been known to take a half day of work off and sacrifice quantity if the quality is really good. I may just go to the cinema, walk around the city somewhere, or just relax at home at do something stupid like watch a ball game.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I had a gin and tonic for the first short story published, and I bought (cheap) champagne after signing with agent.

Writing has long periods of nothing, no (apparent) progress or success so celebrate and enjoy what you can.

Last edited:

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I had a gin and tonic for the first short story published, and I bought (cheap) champagne after signing with agent.

Writing has long periods of nothing, no (apparent) progress or success so celebrate and enjoy what you can.

What might a Gin & tonic and champagne cocktail celebration entail?

Hehe

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
No celebration, I'm afraid! Or, well, not much of one. Just one drink on each occasion.

But it is important to mark small victories. For one thing, you never know when the next one will be--writing is a gig job and literally every gig might be your last. For another, it's very easy to lose perspective and underplay your wins.

Last edited:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Rewards (or bribes, it doesn't really matter what you call them) are frequently a part of the creative process. Whether it's a treat (food, going to a movie, watching a favorite show, taking a nap) or doing something you've been putting off (special outing, buying a special outfit, reading that next book in your favorite series).

If you set goals there needs to be a reward. Since writing is frequently an intangible thing, you have to make up physical rewards. (And, yes, finishing a thing is satisfying. But a pizza after turning in a project provides reinforcement for the next project.)

RolandWrites

SFF Author, Neurodiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Every time I've had something published, I've ended up having a drink with my husband or going out somewhere nice to eat or treating ourselves to a movie we've been wanting to see. Rewarding myself for managing to hit my word goals when I've been struggling with them usually just entails me telling my writing group or my husband and cheering myself before taking a break to watch something on Netflix.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I even set up contracts with the idea of rewards for milestones.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
How (if at all) do you reward yourself for meeting your writing goals?

Stickers. The more new words I write per day (this is the gross total, not the net total), the fancier the sticker.

I was surprised when this actually worked (I was desperate, though). Or at least, it works much of the time.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score

I completely agree. Might be interesting to see what reward may be worthy of combining the two (writing exercise or something).

kindratiah

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently trying to think of a suitable reward for myself for when I finish my first draft of my first novel.

Oddly enough, the reward I have in mind is kinda just...more work. But in a different environment. I kinda have this weird thing for fancy hotel lobbies, especially in hotels that have both a bar/lounge area and a cafe. It's a chill, comfortable environment in which you have access to food, caffeine, booze -and- prime people-watching. I found a local hotel that's kind of a long bike ride away, but it's beautiful and has everything I look for in a hotel-lobby haunt. So, when I finish my first draft, I think I'm gonna go spend a day there and get started on editing :p

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Got that one planned :tongue If either me or any of my CPs sell to a publisher we're meeting up for a night out. At The Alchemist, or North Bar, or both.

@Beth, with an appropriate sticker chart?_?

A notebook, actually. I have a friend who uses a wall calendar, though.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
For the most part creation is it's own reward for me. I may be in a different situation than many though because I'm retired and am not relying on my writing for income.

My wife and I go out to a nice dinner when I finish a novel. Other than that, if I have a good productive day I feel good and that's enough.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
When I'm done writing for the day but I get an idea, I write it on a 3x5 card. When I finally implement that idea, my reward is that I get to toss that card Into the recycling bin.

Woo hoo!

I have LOTS of loose notepad papers with things like these.... Ideas just dump out of me at the strangest places. I bring notepads with me everywhere. Bad thing, I have to transcribe them all!

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
if I have a good productive day I feel good and that's enough.

Yep, it's one contented, happy feeling. But my particular issue needed something more tangible to get me through the dry times.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Ages ago, I read a blog post from an author who suggested making a list of 15 things:

- 5 immediate, achievable goals (eg finishing a novel, finding betas)
- 5 'best case scenario' goals (eg landing an agent)
- 5 wildest dream goals (eg earn enough to live on from writing:roll:)

...and then check them off when/if they were achieved. Just as a reminder because it's so easy to normalise success.

thereeness

Registered
Reaction score
Sadly, for me, bribes don't work XD Neither do rewards. Cause my brain is like, "Why wait for this thing when I can have it now?"

Yeah, I have issues with long-term thinking. I'm working on it >.>

But when I actually *do* the thing and *do* treat myself, it's usually a nice dinner out. Because I like food.