How to politely decline a publishing house?

SaraMay

Registered
Reaction score
First off, apologies if this is in the wrong forum. Long story short, a small publishing house asked for a full on my MS. Got feedback from one of the editors saying they read and liked it and have passed it onto the other editors to make a final decision. After doing some more research on this house, I’ve decided that we wouldn’t be a good fit for each other. How do I go about sending an email explaining this? I would rather tell them now and not waste their time.
Would “I am glad to hear that you enjoyed my work. Unfortunately, the title is no longer available. I would like
it to be removed for consideration. Thank you for your time, MY NAME” suffice as a message? I’m not good at sending business emails and I can’t find anything on google that can help me.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I won't respond, because I am new to this field. It may help others answer if they now you have an agent or not.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I'd change "I would like it to be removed from consideration" to something like "I'm afraid I must remove it from consideration." You're not asking permission; you're informing them the MS is no longer available.

But in general, it sounds perfectly professional.

MS KIKI

Banned
Reaction score
First off, apologies if this is in the wrong forum. Long story short, a small publishing house asked for a full on my MS. Got feedback from one of the editors saying they read and liked it and have passed it onto the other editors to make a final decision. After doing some more research on this house, I’ve decided that we wouldn’t be a good fit for each other. How do I go about sending an email explaining this? I would rather tell them now and not waste their time.
Would “I am glad to hear that you enjoyed my work. Unfortunately, the title is no longer available. I would like
it to be removed for consideration. Thank you for your time, MY NAME” suffice as a message? I’m not good at sending business emails and I can’t find anything on google that can help me.

If you have an agent, let the agent handle this.

What in particular didn't you like about this house? Publishing record? Something else?
Did the editor give you any feedback? Maybe you could use that excuse. You might say after considering the revision requests, you wouldn't be a good fit.

However, he might come back to you saying OK we'll do it your way! :banana: And then ...

Last edited:

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I'd change "I would like it to be removed from consideration" to something like "I'm afraid I must remove it from consideration." You're not asking permission; you're informing them the MS is no longer available.

Welcome to AW, SaraMay.

I agree with Liz; with that one change, you have a crisp, professional business communication.

Best of luck finding the right home for your manuscript.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score

Yep. This.

SaraMay

Registered
Reaction score
Oh wow - thanks for all the responses everyone. No, I do not have an agent, I just don't think this publishing house is for me.

Thank you :) I will change it to that.

A had a few reasons for not wanting to go with this publishing house. Ever since I sent off my MS, I've had a bad gut feeling. I did more in-depth research on them (which is my bad, should have been more thorough in my research earlier on.) The big things that tipped me off were iffy contracts and a weird publishing record. Also, I just don't feel like my books is a good fit with the other titles they published and they'll want to do some major edits to it (see iffy contract.)

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
Just send a polite note saying you appreciate them taking the time to consider your work but you are withdrawing the manuscript.

You don't have to say anything further or give a reason why. It's not their business. Just let them know you're withdrawing your submission and keep it moving.

Davin

Registered
Reaction score
I just did this and didn't give a reason. As Cool Pop says, it's none of their business. The publisher responded saying they were sorry to hear that and they'd be glad to publish my novel in the future if I decided to return to them.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Anything short and polite is not something they will dwell on. I think I used "Thank you for you offer but I am not going to pursue publishing TITLE with you at this time".