The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
The first section of Fellowship does drag a bit. I think he was trying to look for his story at that point. (My opinion of course.) Once the Hobbits get to Bree and meet Aragorn, the book picks up. You might want to try the BBC audio version if you can't make yourself sit down and read it. Ian Holmes is Frodo in this version. It's pretty consistent with the books, although I think they also leave out Tom Bombadil in it as well.

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I'll get around to reading them one of these days, but I'll probably end up doing a lot of skimming. Especially of big descriptive chunks, which I think I noticed a lot of. I can do without those, and fantasy epics seem to drop them all over the place.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, there are a lot of chunks where you might want to skim. Personally, I find Frodo's and Sam's journey in The Two Towers a bit boring so I generally skim over those. (Even in the movies... lol)

Ingvanye

Somebody moved the goal posts...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
query-blahblahblah.blogspot.com
I love Haldir. His whole part was changed by Peter Jackson, and Galadriel got some of his dialogue, but I forgave Jackson when he brought Haldir to Helms Deep, instead of the trees.
The cinema cheered at the premiere when he walked up the stairs. It was certainly one of "those" moments.
They're awesome books, I love them.

mkeyth

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't have time to read it, so I listen to it whenever I go jogging or riding my bike. It's been four months since I started and I'm on Book 5 at the moment. Whenever I finish a part I watch the extended version of the movie to compare.