Cat Picky(?) With Her Food

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
Cat is driving me nuts.

She presently turns her nose up at everything I am putting down for her to eat. It's the typical sorts of cat food she's always had, together with biscuits designed to help clean up her teeth. I mention her teeth, because she's an old cat and she could probably do with a couple of extractions, which makes me worried they may be the underlying reason for her apparent lack of appetite.

I was concerned enough that I opened a tin of tuna and she went bananas and mopped up the third of a can I gave her. (That, however, is not a solution to suit my budget and the cat's kidneys long term.) Likewise if I put down my plate on which I had a piece of cake, she charges in and mops up the crumbs, before I realise what she is about. She was my mother's cat and learnt that begging for scraps usually paid dividends, so if she catches a whiff of cod and chips, the sod won't give me any peace.

This is a recent change of behaviour, which is what's worrying me. I've booked an appointment for the vet to check her out. She's an old pws, with a heart murmur, so an anaesthetic for dental work might mean she never wakes up.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The vet is a good plan.

Have you tried leaving off the biscuits? I presume the regular food is wet?

Have you tried mushing it with a bit pf water and crumbling a bit of tuna and sprinkling on top?

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
The vet is a good plan.

Have you tried leaving off the biscuits? I presume the regular food is wet?

Have you tried mushing it with a bit pf water and crumbling a bit of tuna and sprinkling on top?

She's not a fan of the bix, but will eat it occasionally. I do want her to eat some, because it's got a dental clean thing.

I'll try your other suggestion. Thanks.

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
Cats are very odd creatures. They have their own agendas.

I said my goodbyes to mine earlier this year - she's only 12 but she was very unwell - she went to her "safe" place for about ten days and didn't eat anything at all. Weirdly she recovered, turned out to be pancreatitis, and the weight that she lost has made her much a much "better" cat. I have switched to a "7+" catfood and she can't get enough of it but hasn't put the weight back on.

How old is your cat?

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
I understand but if she's not eating in general... I'd put that first and worry about the biscuits after you find out from the vet I think.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
Cats are very odd creatures. They have their own agendas.

I said my goodbyes to mine earlier this year - she's only 12 but she was very unwell - she went to her "safe" place for about ten days and didn't eat anything at all. Weirdly she recovered, turned out to be pancreatitis, and the weight that she lost has made her much a much "better" cat. I have switched to a "7+" catfood and she can't get enough of it but hasn't put the weight back on.

How old is your cat?

Pancreatitis? Poor girl.

My cat is 16 or 17 and she's been going strong, apart from her teeth. She has pretty bad dog breath.

I don't know, she may be just bloody-minded and really, really picky. She's just decided to scoff the food I put down for her about half an hour ago.

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
The other thing is what is the weather like where you are?

It's unusually hot in the UK at the moment. Friends who have cats - mother and son, about 15 and 11 - who are usually BIG eaters (very much outdoor cats) were saying recently that the capricious little critters have pretty much stopped eating in the heat.

They generally know what they want.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I vote see a vet. There are dozens of things this could be, some serious some not. Could be something easily treated like a urinary infection.

The fact she'll eat the tuna is a good sign for not as serious.

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
My Jasper has always been picky. When he went on a low protein diet, I worried because he’s so picky & b/c it meant I couldn’t even give him tuna, which was the only people food he was interested in.

Then Royal Canin changed their low protein formula for different flavors. One is aromatic, & he’ll eat that. Also wet food. My theory is that he needs a strong smell to actually want to eat it.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently that's why tuna is magic: It's got a strong scent that even cats whose sense of smell is weakening can identify as FOOD!
Incidentally, for those who want to keep a can on hand for therapeutic reasons, it's possible to get low-salt, water-packed tuna.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
That's actually what I have always used. But it's still high-protein.

I wonder if she has a tooth problem. Might be that the biscuits meant to clean her teeth are too hard for her if she has pain there. Tuna, however, nice and soft.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
There's also cat tuna -- it's tuna with the minerals cats need added, and it's cheap. It's easy to flake onto other food.

Trader Joe's sells one for $.79 a full-size (the like 5-6oz large tuna or cat food can size, not the tall lb. size) can. This is what it looks like, and the ingredients and all.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My Jasper has always been picky. When he went on a low protein diet, I worried because he’s so picky & b/c it meant I couldn’t even give him tuna, which was the only people food he was interested in.

Then Royal Canin changed their low protein formula for different flavors. One is aromatic, & he’ll eat that. Also wet food. My theory is that he needs a strong smell to actually want to eat it.

Just an FYI, when the melamine in cat and dog food from China scandal happened, Royal Canin was on the list of contaminated pet food. I no longer consider that brand as safe as their image implies.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's a prescription food, so...

heza

Registered
Reaction score
We're in the same boat, there. We HATE... LOATHE feeding our dog Royal Canin, but because of her pancreatitis, she has to be on a low-fat prescription food. We have no idea what else we could do.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
My thanks to everybody who pitched in with advice.

Cat's had her visit to the vet. Her teeth are worse now -- surprise, surprise -- but vet was more concerned about the potential state of her kidneys. Recommended putting pws on a prescription renal diet, which I am sure she will love. If her urea levels come down, then maybe a clean up is on the cards for her.

Meanwhile, she's not speaking to me. I don't think she's a fan of her new shave.