August Goals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jjanejayne

Registered
Reaction score
OK two big goals for August.

I got seriously distracted from my querying in July. I was minding my own business when a ghost story popped on my brain one night . It literally wrote itself while I was just trying to get to sleep. I decided to take a break from querying and get it down on paper. I should be through with the first draft on that by the end of next week. And then...…….

A writer friend of mine who is a published writer told me to make a list of 30 agents to query, rank them from 1-30 on the basis of who I would like to work with and send out 5 query letters a week for six weeks beginning with the ones at the bottom of the list ...…...so goals for August are. FINISH the ghost story, and maybe go through a first edit. (It's only 54 pages long so that is not an impossible task in one month) and then I'm going to start composing my list of agents, and writing the query letters.

I'm planning on doing Twitter Pitchfest on September 8 and starting the querying the next day unless I get a taker at Pitchfest.

Also, about the ghost story...….It's 54 pages long. That's too long to sell to a magazine for a short story and too short to market as a novel so I am thinking about going indie with it on KDP/Amazon. I've been wanting to try the indie thing anyway and it seems like this may be a good place to start. With Halloween coming up, I'd like to have it on Amazon by around the 10th of October.

Would love to hear some other's goals for the month and also any input you might have on mine. PLUS, say a prayer for me. I love to write. I do not like to query. When I get a new idea for a story it's hard to ignore it to do something I don't enjoy at all. It's easy to get distracted. But I need to do this so I need to stay focused.

Last edited:

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I want to get back into a regular writing schedule in time for my school year. I got so much done creatively last year and I'm looking for even more-- keeping in mind that I'm going to try keeping partying to a minimum and finally, this summer, quit the smoking habit.

Full sails ahead!

WitchyMama

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with your goals! Both of you!

As for myself, my only goal is to write. Every. Day. I have a complete outline and know exactly where my story is going. I just need to get the words on the pap- uh, the screen. I hope to have at least a third (ideally half) of the first draft done by the end of the month. This is a huge goal for me because I'm a habitual re-reader and I *always* find something to edit, which distracts me from adding content.

rosegold

Registered
Reaction score
Researching agents is taking more time than I expected, so I think my main goal is to keep writing. I'd like to make decent progress on my sequel, but I don't know if that's stupid because I don't know if the first one will even be published. I have a second draft of another book to work on, but I'm not quite as enthusiastic about that project right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.