Research in the 1920s

Belle_91

With her nose stuck in a book
Registered
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I have a question about how someone might conduct research in the 1920s. My MC is a journalist in Boston in 1926. She wants to investigate alcohol poisonings both in Boston and in other cities like New York. How would she find recent articles from other papers, especially those printed out of state? Would a trip to NYC be involved or could she go to the Boston Public Library and see if they had archived the New York Times? Do they archive things even if they are recent?

Much appreciated. Thanks.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, libraries kept newspapers, and sure Boston would have the NYT. There's probably also other things, like the papers themselves, or like the NY Historical Society, which has physical papers even today you can access.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

The library for sure. If she needed ongoing information, she might even get a subscription.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

snafu1056

Registered
Reaction score
Actually she might not even need to bother with newspapers. Crime statistics were already being compiled and catalogued by that period. I've seen catalogues of stats from even earlier than the 20s so they definitely existed and were probably available at libraries.