Amazing August - 500 words per day writing/editing - all genres welcome

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
Because August will be amazing, am I right?

How did you do in July? Make all your goals, or fall short?

What are your goals for August?

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
July was CRAZY. I had several freelance jobs with really tight deadlines, and I wasn't sure I'd be able to finish the copyedits on Fireborn on time for release. Somehow, by the skin of my teeth, I got it all done. Fireborn ended up going live 3 days early. I'd heard rumors that it took awhile for new books to go live, but apparently I got lucky.

For August, here are my goals:

~Finish 2nd round edits on the secret project
~Have SP professionally edited
~Finalize idea for antho
~Oubliette words, maybe?

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
July! Well, I straightened out all the plot problems I had (yeah, right - whack-a-mole has nothing on editing) and this month is about rewriting. I want to get at least 50% through the rewrite if I can.

Best of luck to everyone!

MsDashwood

Getting back to writing...
Registered
Reaction score
Making a new start, and hoping that August will be a productive month.
July got lost in resting after an insanely busy Spring at work, and slowly working my way back to the story.

My goal for August is to write every other day. So, straying a bit from the name of the thread, but I think I'll have a better chance of getting some writing done if I lower the bar a little, at least now in the beginning. Plus, my vacation ends second week of August. :(
So, 500 words (or more) every other day.

I hope to finish chapter 10, and write chapter 11.
Alternatively, some of that time spent on working a bit more on some of the characters, to re-familiarize myself with them.

Good luck, everyone!

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote an almost-1000 word Lovecraft flashfic. In two hours. Unfortunately, I can't find any anthos or mags accepting semi-erotic Lovecraftian flashfics right now. It may just wind up on my website.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
July was weird, and at the end I ran across this short I'd written a few months ago, and now I'm procrastinating on my edits by polishing the short, and I quite like it but I'm afraid of putting it up on SYW.

How is everyone else? :D

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all. How's everyone doing? How's August going? Sounds like July went pretty well for everyone, progress all around :partyguy:

For August, I'm continuing my reading/edit/revision thing from July. I'd say I'm about two-thirds of the way through and hoping to have that wrapped up this month.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Doing okay. Fireborn's release was on time, despite a few hiccups. Now I'm trying to get some things done that I had to put off till after the release. :)

MsDashwood

Registered
Reaction score
Added 642 words to chapter 10, which ended the chapter.

Chapter 11 next.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Lovecraft short became a webfic on my site. Now I'm working on something for the next installment of an anthology series I've appeared in before, with a genderfluid protagonist, their wife-to-be, and a combination of a gorgon and a cockatrice... who's a ghost.

MsDashwood

Registered
Reaction score
No new words added to the story but wrote an outline for chapter 11.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
:waves to everyone:

Doing okay. A bit off kilter b/c of my book release. Trying to get back into the groove. I hope to start editing the secret project again tomorrow.

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Salutations all, how's it going? Sounds pretty good and I hope it so.

MsD and OSG - Way to go! Keep it up.
Cobalt - A gorgon/cockatrice that's a ghost...I'm intrigued.
Saoirse - Wishing you the best.
Liz - Hope you're doing well.

I finished my read through, editing, correction thing and now I'm rereading it just to double check myself. Although I do find that I like to fiddle with things as I go. Anyone else do that? Tell yourself your done and then start changing things while you're trying to wrap it up?

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Been working on a synopsis today, wanting to get the plot straightened out before I do a final rewrite of one section. And I think I've finally hit on a backbone for the story. I don't think any other book has taken me as long as this one.

Life has intervened, unfortunately, but I did get a lot of plotting done today, even if there weren't any actual words.

Wil10thewisp

Registered
Reaction score
Slowly getting back into it since July has been kicking my ass. It's not so much as to writing. it's trying to find the confidence and the audience to show my writing. been searching for places where people post their short stories from time to time.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
A touch over 1,500 words yesterday. Not bad but I still need to up the pace if I'm going to hit my target (I won't, but hey).

ETA: And another 1,600 today. Pretty good.

Keep going, everyone! Half way point.

Last edited:

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
:cheers everyone:

Wil10thewisp, welcome! You'll be fine. It takes time. ;)

Going camping tomorrow through Tuesday. Will be frantically trying to massage an idea into a cohesive short story set in a shared world. Wish me luck. (Usually, fresh air does me and my muse good).

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Salutations everyone :hi:

Already half way through the August. How's everyone's doing?

Hang in there Will10, once you hit 50 posts you'll be sharing up a storm in the SYW section.
Have fun camping Saoirse! (I guess at this point, I should say, Hope you had fun camping.)
OSG, Way to go! I'm jealous :)

Of the two projects I'm investing my time in, the first I'm a little over a quarter way through the rereading and the second I've added about 900 words to this weekend.