Is "in-law" (meaning related by marriage) a modern usage?

autumnleaf

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
A language usage nitpick that's been bothering me. In 16th/17th century documents, I've seen the word "sister" refer to a spouse's sister or a brother's wife, what we would now call a "sister-in-law". I've also seen "son-in-law" used to mean a stepson. Does anyone know when the modern meaning of "in-law" became standardized? Would it seem anachronistic to use "sister-in-law" in the 17th century? Should I just say "sister" or "husband's sister"? Am I overthinking this?

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know the history of the usage, but I'm thinking that 'sister', alone, would be confusing modern audiences. To my mind, 'My brother's wife' sounds better, if 'in-law' wasn't in casual use.

If 'in-law' is just coming into use for anything but legal documents, it sounds distancing - as though 'I wouldn't consider her as family if the law didn't make me.'

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Best thing to do in situations like this is to look up the etymology of the word! That'll generally tell you when the first known usage is.

First use of brother-in-law dates from the 13c. First known use of sister-in-law is from the 15c. In-law by itself come from 1894.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/in-law?ref=etymonline_crossreference

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
A language usage nitpick that's been bothering me. In 16th/17th century documents, I've seen the word "sister" refer to a spouse's sister or a brother's wife, what we would now call a "sister-in-law". I've also seen "son-in-law" used to mean a stepson. Does anyone know when the modern meaning of "in-law" became standardized? Would it seem anachronistic to use "sister-in-law" in the 17th century? Should I just say "sister" or "husband's sister"? Am I overthinking this?

Sister-in-law is used in Middle English. And the fact that it's used in the 1611 "King James" bible (Ruth 1:15) pretty much means it was fairly standard. It wasn't always hyphenated (usually not until eighteenth century; hyphenation would have been a decision made by the typesetter/printer).

Last edited:

autumnleaf

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. Looks like "sister in law" is fine for my time period, but "in-laws" isn't. My two SILs are also good friends, so they might refer to each other affectionately as "sisters" once their actual relationship has been established to the reader.

I also found "good sister" as a Scots term (https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/good-sister). I can't use it because my novel is set in Ireland/England, but someone else might find that useful.

It also looks like "X in law" could have meant any relationship by marriage, including what we would call step-X. Although "stepbrother" and "stepsister" existed in the 15th century and "stepmother" goes back to at least the 1300s. (https://www.etymonline.com/word/step-) Possibly the two formations lived alongside each other until the modern distinctions emerged. I'll stick with the modern usage so as not to confuse readers by referring to a young child as a "son in law"!

I have bookmarked the etymology.com link for future reference. Thanks amergina!

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Excerpt from the Gazette Of The United States, August 25, 1790
Earliest reference found in the new USA

[snip]
//
The Prince of Conde brother, had opposite views, and took very different resolutions. His fortune was not commensurate with his courage, nor with the extent of his designs. Excited by the mediocrity of his circumstances, by the hatred which he bore to the Guises, and incessantly stimulated by his mother-in-law and his wife, one the Sister, the other the niece of the Constable, both devoured by ambition,.....//