Dead rat

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Next to my landlady's garage in the back yard is a small strip of soil where I grow tomatoes. I don't make use of the entire length of that, and at the far end of it is a bunch of junk such as old tires.

Maybe three days ago, I was watering the tomato plants when I saw a clump of dark brown hair just beyond the furthermost plant. It was a dead rat. With both my skin and my stomach crawling, I got a flowerpot, filled that with soil and dumped the soil over the corpse. At least then I didn't have to look at it.

For two days, all was well. Then I came home today and something had unearthed the corpse and dragged it perhaps eight inches away from the plants. Unfortunately the corpse is now attracting flies and it smells awful.

My question is, would it be a waste of time to cover it up with earth again, much more earth? I just don't know what else to do. I googled "dead rat in the garden", but I can't bring myself to get the thing into a bag. Just thinking about it is starting to make me feel sick. Any thoughts?

csteffoz

Registered
Reaction score
Oh my god I thought this was the beginning of a fantasy short story until about 3 paragraphs in ahahahah

But yeah just burying it deeper might do the trick, if you really can't stand getting it into a bag. Maybe use a long stick.

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I suggest using a rake or a shovel to get it into a garbage bag and into a garbage can. If you can't make yourself do it, offer a neighbor a six pack of beer or something to take care of it.

Last edited:

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe try covering it with something first, like toss an old towel over it. Then you might be able to manage getting it on a shovel to either bury or bag it.

M. R. Kessell

Registered
Reaction score
I think Larry has the right idea, call a neighbor over. You don’t want that thing near your edible garden plants.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's a desiccated dead rat in my shed out back. I left it undisturbed. :tongue

I vote bury it again, maybe put a very large rock over the spot. Trash is my second choice. I don't think it will last long un-biodegraded in a landfill but I suspect it contributes just a bit more to methane in the atmosphere.

carrie_ann

Registered
Reaction score
Not an authority, but I suspect the rat could potentially be carrying diseases which one might not want decomposed in to the soil? Just my best guess.

I suggest using a rake or a shovel to get it into a garbage bag and into a garbage can. If you can't make yourself do it, offer a neighbor a six pack of beer or something to take care of it.

My bold, what he said.

I have this same icky thing phobia. My little cat used to bring me dead furry or feathered things all the time, inside. The cuter it was the harder time I had disposing of it. Gloves, shovels, towels did get the job done, but often after a day of mounting anxiety. And I always laughed at myself after, but that single moment of moving it was just excruciating for no logical reason at all. I'm actually a pretty tough little lady. I've been car jacked, my home has been broken into, I've had my fair share of hardships and typically just chin up and adult. But, I draw the line at furry or feathered dead things and all things snake.

I finally just started asking the neighbor. It's so much easier, if you have the option.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
If you can't bear to handle it, even with gloves, and don't have a neighbour, and you're stuck with covering it up, you can't just drizzle loose soil over it.
Dig a small (but deeper than the rat) hole. Use the shovel to shove the rat in. Fill the hole with dirt, tamp it down, put in more dirt, 'til it's firm and flush with the surrounding ground. Now, take the biggest pot you have, fill it with dirt, and put it directly over the rat-grave. Plant something cheerful in it. Nasturtiums are good.
But you really don't want to start a vermin cemetery. If you don't have a neighbour, try calling Animal Control - they might help you.

The reason you don't want it near edible plants is possibly that they might harbour decaying mammal toxins, or ratfleas, but also so that you don't encourage not-too-fussy vermin to treat your place like a feeding station. There is no such thing as 'a' rat.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not an authority, but I suspect the rat could potentially be carrying diseases which one might not want decomposed in to the soil? Just my best guess. ....
Nice guess but no. Rats have been known to carry fleas that carry the plague, but that's not going to get in any food growing in a garden. It's safe to fertilize your veges with dead rats.

Currently in the US, fleas with endemic plague live on squirrels and jack rabbits in the mid west. Not something the average Jack and Diane need to worry about.

M. R. Kessell

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry everybody, I didn’t mean to cause any alarm, maybe it’s perfectly safe to bury. I should’ve said that I myself wouldn’t want that around. And I wouldn’t want to accidentally dig it up when I’m planting next year’s tomatoes. I’ve had some gross, dead rat experiences here.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I wouldn't bury it near your tomatoes, just because you don't want to encourage digging by enthusiastic scavengers near the root systems of your plants.

It's actually at a little distance from them, perhaps eight inches away from the furthermost plant (which is a runt, and I don't expect fruit from it) and maybe ten to twelve inches from the next tomato plant. They all grow in a line, dead rat is just beyond that line.

What's weird is that I came home and inched my way along the line to see if anything had changed, and I didn't smell anything. The carcass looks odd, too, like it's dry and dessicated. Didn't notice too many flies around.

Maybe the problem is over? *hopeful*

Last edited:

MS KIKI

Banned
Reaction score

Larry, get over there! :hi:

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Does your landlady live on-site? Tell her to deal with it, it's her property! (Speaking as a landlady myself. One of the joys of being in that profession.)

If she lives out of the area, though, that's not appropriate IMO. Get something like a large bag (doubled-up brown paper bag is good) and shovel the rat into it with some dirt if you can't stand looking at it. Scrunch the top over and quickly dispose of it in the trash.