Categorizing Questions

AmericanaPrime

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm writing my first fiction book, and I'm kind of having some trouble with the categorization. A little background first. I am 41, and when I was a kid, I'm not even sure YA was even a category, or if it was, it certainly was not as vast as it is now, with multitudes of sub-genres. As a 16 year old boy, I read a lot of "Men's Adventure" series that featured heavily idealized adults (almost superheroes) getting into lots of fights and kicking ass. (Endworld by David Robbins) I didnt want to read about someone "like me" I wanted to read about people who were better than I was, that I wanted to be like, which of course is part of the reason comic books (which I also loved) are so popular.

So now, I'm writing a fantasy novel. I have the plot, the characters, magic system, world, relationships, pretty much everything, The characters of all genders are ridiculously over the top badasses, in an insanely vicious world. I'm just not too sure what category to put it in. The characters are adults, and there is violence, but no cursing, likely no sex (yet), and I dont antcipate it being more than 100K words or so. The themes revolve around family, legacy, sibling rivalry, sacrifice, and evolving to become a better person. In other words, it is about adults doing adult stuff, but I believe a 15-18 year old could easily handle it. On top of that, my writing style is not overly verbose, so it won't be over their head.

I'd appreciate any advice on how to categorize this, and I can fill in any additional needed details.

Thanks for the assistance!

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
If your characters are adults, it's an adult novel. YA is specifically about teenage protagonists usually going through some kind of coming of age. If your novel is good for teens, then teens will find it no matter where it is in the library/bookstore, but if the MC isn't a teen, then it's not YA. Simple as that. :)

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm writing my first fiction book, and I'm kind of having some trouble with the categorization. A little background first. I am 41, and when I was a kid, I'm not even sure YA was even a category, or if it was, it certainly was not as vast as it is now, with multitudes of sub-genres. As a 16 year old boy, I read a lot of "Men's Adventure" series that featured heavily idealized adults (almost superheroes) getting into lots of fights and kicking ass. (Endworld by David Robbins) I didnt want to read about someone "like me" I wanted to read about people who were better than I was, that I wanted to be like, which of course is part of the reason comic books (which I also loved) are so popular.

So now, I'm writing a fantasy novel. I have the plot, the characters, magic system, world, relationships, pretty much everything, The characters of all genders are ridiculously over the top badasses, in an insanely vicious world. I'm just not too sure what category to put it in. The characters are adults, and there is violence, but no cursing, likely no sex (yet), and I dont antcipate it being more than 100K words or so. The themes revolve around family, legacy, sibling rivalry, sacrifice, and evolving to become a better person. In other words, it is about adults doing adult stuff, but I believe a 15-18 year old could easily handle it. On top of that, my writing style is not overly verbose, so it won't be over their head.

I'd appreciate any advice on how to categorize this, and I can fill in any additional needed details.

Thanks for the assistance!

If it's just about adults, I don't know why it'd be YA. Stuff goes the other way -- there are books with child protagonists that are categorized as adult fiction -- but I don't recall having seen it with a YA book that just has an adult cast.

AmericanaPrime

Registered
Reaction score
If it's just about adults, I don't know why it'd be YA. Stuff goes the other way -- there are books with child protagonists that are categorized as adult fiction -- but I don't recall having seen it with a YA book that just has an adult cast.

I know what you mean,and it totally makes sense. I just wasn’t sure if writing style and complexity had more to do with it. Thanks for the help, I wasn’t aware that the main character basically determined it.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I know what you mean,and it totally makes sense. I just wasn’t sure if writing style and complexity had more to do with it. Thanks for the help, I wasn’t aware that the main character basically determined it.
YA is exclusively about teenagers. It has a vast range of genres and subjects, but, always, the focus is on teenagers.
I am a little older than you, but I also remember the days when there was one shelf in the library labelled 'Teen Fiction'. Either boys trying to get on sports teams, girls trying to get boyfriends, or either trying to get jobs.
So I switched over to adult books at about age 13. Mysteries, science fiction, some stuff I either didn't understand, or probably best that I didn't.
Like you, I didn't want to read about people 'like me'.
I wanted to read about people doing interesting things, having lives unlike my own.
Write the book.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

They do the other way -- like if you have a 14-yr-old protag in, I dunno, something like Cloud Atlas, that might be more an adult novel, but not 'this adult novel is written kind of simply, thus for teenagers (or MG audiences or whatever).' Teens don't need less complexity than adults.