Copy/paste issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
Every time I copy something I've written down in a Word file and paste it here on this forum quite a lot of the spaces get deleted, and so I have to pick through the text and manually separate words.

Why does this happen and is there a way around it?

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Are you using WORD 10? It's a known problem with that version. Try using the Paste Special function; it would be text only, though, and wouldn't work with images, for instance. (Of course, you couldn't post images on AW via WORD, anyway, which I'm sure you know.)

Last edited:

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it should be helpful, Enlightened. Thank you. Whatever the version, the issue is going to be formatting related, so that's a handy-dandy little table to get started on sussing-out the formatting issue.

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
I don't use Word 10, but probably will be forced to do so sometime, so: If you save your file as an earlier version of MS-Word, say Word 2003, or as an RTF file, would that alleviate the problem?

caw

Short answer: I don't know, blac.

Like you, I've managed to avoid later MS-Word versions for the most part and still use 2003 for my serious writing; but, also like you, I can see the day coming. I know that conversions, especially conversions back-and-forth, can introduce their own problems, particularly wrt formatting. They're all fixable, but can be time-consuming at times. So.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Every time I copy something I've written down in a Word file and paste it here on this forum quite a lot of the spaces get deleted, and so I have to pick through the text and manually separate words.

Why does this happen and is there a way around it?

Yes. Try copying and pasting the text from MS Word into Note pad. See the suggestions about formatting and copying text in Share Your Work in the Tips announcement.

Some users find copying and pasting into a blank Email first helps; it's going to depend on your local setup.

It's a good idea to not use the vBulletin WYIWYG editor; see this FAQ on Setting your AW Post Editor.

Some users have found this piece of Windows software helpful; I can't say, and would be cautious about using anything I'm wasn't familiar with on my computer, personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.