August Challenge - Write Every Day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
Write Every Day has been around for a full year! :hooray::partyguy:

This is a thread open to anyone who wants to start, maintain, or reinforce a writing habit. (It can also be about revision, editing, research -- all writing habits welcome!)

The basic idea is that repeating something daily, even if only for a short time, will build a habit that becomes stronger over time.

It's entirely up to you how much and in what way you participate. Post your goals, if you like, or just check in when you can!

Here are some tips:

• Set achievable goals – I can't stress enough how important this is. To build a habit, doing something is more important than quantity or quality.
  • Keep up the habit as many days in the week as possible – even if it's just a few sentences or a bit of editing. It reinforces the habit and makes it easier to get started.
  • Mix it up – Try different types of goals, different times of the day, different tricks to reward or motivate yourself. A good habit is what works for you, not someone else.
  • Be patient – It takes a long time to build a strong habit and you'll always be facing new challenges. Get used to constantly adapting and you'll be better prepared for whatever problem comes up next.
  • Don't give up because you didn't hit your goal – When you fail to hit your target, your job is figuring out why it happened. That way, you can find ways to get around your roadblocks (and don't be scared of lowering the bar - doing something is better than doing nothing). If you share your stumbles in the thread, others might be able to help out with tips, tricks, and support! And sometimes, it's okay to just take a break for a day or two, or have scheduled days "off". Whatever works for you!

Good luck, and see you on August 1st!

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
I'll be back for August. My goal is to sub at least one of the works I've been writing to a paying market, so this month may be more about editing than writing.

Making writing my first activity of the day paid off with (generally) larger daily word counts, so I'm going to try to establish that as a regular habit.

On behalf of the month of August, :welcome:

rhiannon_writes

✿✿✿
Registered
Reaction score
My goal is to finish this round of edits by the end of the month! That averages to about a chapter a day, which I believe I can manage. Some definitely don't need as much work as others.

Here's to a productive upcoming month :hooray:

WGough

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for starting the thread, Magnus.

I'm struggling with the structure and word count for my WIP Book II. As it stands, it'll top out at around 60K words. Respectable, yes. Book length, sure. But Book I is hovering around 100K, so I'd like to get them closer in length. Have to decide whether to move some from Book I to Book II, or add part of Book III to Book II. Gah! Hopefully, I'll have it worked out by the 1st.

Goals:
1) figure out Book II
2) Draft Book III

Drafting word count goals: weekdays 2,000 words, weekends 5,000 words

See you all in August!

Last edited:

KayMitch

Registered
Reaction score
I'm hopefully back in for the count this month! I'm going to set my goal low though. All I want to do is write 200 words a day. If I can do that I will be happy. Hopefully that will help me get back into the swing of writing and I'll be able to finish my almost done WIP and maybe start a project I've been thinking about for quite awhile and think I'm finally ready to start.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, thank you Magnus, and Happy Birthday, thread!!!

My goals will be as usual - write *and* take care of life with a three-point (three is the magic #) check list:

1 - write something
2 - take at least one action of responsibility or self-care
3 - take at least one action to increase my earning power

& to do this 6 days a week

thereeness

Registered
Reaction score
Magnus, you're awesome! *Thumbs up* And happy birthday to this thread :D What a milestone.

I'm...trying to get back for August. I don't know how well it'll go. I'm hoping better. But we'll see. Right now my goals are:

1. Write something. ANYTHING.
2. Get perfect attendance at work.

The second one's not really writing, but it's definitely something I wanna shoot for, since it'll boost my PTO hours by 20 and net me a 50 dollar bonus next month. But July was really damn rough, so here's hoping August is better, in all ways.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
My goals remain the same:

1. Keep editing the novel.
2. Keep writing shorts.
3. Read Smith's book on shorts
4. Sell shorts (hopefully)

Today I wrote two and a half new pages on a new story after realizing I had made a false start. I was trying to write a store in third-person limited, but then realized it was too personal and wouldn't work unless I switched to first-person.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Of course I'm in. My goals:

1) come up with a coherent plot.
2) write the darn thing.

swim swim swim

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Didn’t make the progress I wanted. Only a page and a half. I’ve never written about psychics and the speculative element isn’t anything grandiose like in Carrie.​ Hoping for better things tomorrow.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I missed the last few days of last month, but am going to put in a much bigger effort for August.

Here we go!

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
August goals would be to write at least 250 words a day and to spend at least a couple of days during the week to edit. I've been working on this manuscript for way too damn long now, ha! I want to be ready for the next pitch contest...hopefully.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
My goals:

1. Keep on writing and editing.
2. Bring my auto up to my early teens, at least
3. Scan the first sections of the historical.
4. Read more.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Day 1 - roughly a page and a half of longhand, mostly narrative. That should be about 500 words. Even better, I figured out more of the plot this morning. The story's actually going somewhere! Always helpful. I'm going to see if I can fit in some editing on the other ms. later.

The market I'm aiming the story for has an August 24 deadline, so I'd better pick up the pace. Though the publisher also has a short story line with the same word count limit as the anthology, so if I miss the deadline I can always sub it there. Always have a Plan B.

csteffoz

Registered
Reaction score
My big goal for August is to complete my outline into a coherent story!

And my smaller goal is, let's say, 200 words/day.

And Layla - I like your system. Can you give examples/tips for #3? I'm such a newbie to this, I'd love to one day to actually have some earning power but I don't really know how/where to begin

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I never really thought of trying this, but I'd like to give it a go. Self-confidence came into question (for me), and I think something like this may help. I'm getting close to starting my first-ever novel. I will attempt a series, but book one will be a standalone. For August, my BIG objectives:

1. Complete organization (into spell categories and alphabetize) of 700+ spells/potions (about 215 left @ 50/day).
2. Begin finalizing cast (of characters created) for book one. Flesh them out better, and begin thinking how to use them to drive the plot and series.
3. Scrutinize book one's of major, comparable series to my own.

If time permits....

4. Finalize an outline for book one (including all settings, spells used, subplots, and so forth).
5. Start writing book one.

I have at least two days off planned this month (one for my b-day), and two half-days as well. Else, I will do my best to work every day. Once I start writing, I plan not to participate in the August Challenge (or further challenges). It's my first book, and I don't want to rush that experience.

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Hello August and faces old and new. Good luck with your goals, folks! My goal is to simply show up.

Pterofan: I’m so jealous your story is going somewhere! Nice work.

My hand’s still goosed so I had to stick to typing today. Managed around 1500 words spread over two very rough, skeletal scenes, and developed a couple of characters. This book has still to really ignite my excitement, which is a bit worrying. I’m wondering if I need to try writing out of order. You know, find one amazing scene, write it, then find the next – regardless of where they come in the story. Hm. Might give it a bash.

Day 1: Decent bit; 7.5 miles; what I’d give for wine and sushi (or a story that gets the juices going)

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
Day 1
I intend to face the blank page every morning this month. I started today. It wasn't much, but it was something. Time to build the bloody habit I came here to build a year ago.

GLOVES OFF! >:|

WGough

Registered
Reaction score
Day 1
Well, I'd planned on fixing Book II but drafted 2,738 words of Book III. Mulling will be the theme of August, I reckon.

Magnus: Yes! Build, build, build.

April: You're my hero. I have scenes all over the timeline of my series that just begged to be written. Keeps me motivated.

Enlightened: Good to see you here. And good luck with your planning. You have me wishing I was more of a plotter.

csteffoz: Coherence alludes me, so I'm wishing you all the best.

Pterofan: Congrats on your story going somewhere! So hard to do for me.

Great goals everybody.

Heatherless

Registered
Reaction score
Since care giving is still taking up most of my time, my goal is the same this month: spend at least 20 minutes per day on my writing.

Off to a decent start today by editing a sample for my portfolio.

Good luck everyone!

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Ptero - congrats on finding that story-path :)

cst - some days I barely make it with that one, but if I can do *something* I count it. & I'm all over the map, hoping that something eventually sticks - but - I have been thinking of doing some transcribing so if I do typing drills that's something I might report. But with some of the stuff I'm a little opaque about what I report because I'm afraid to jinx myself… BUT - I do a 12-step program called Underearners Anonymous. It's a 12-step program so there's the god talk, but they also say 'take what you want and leave the rest'. I've gotten a lot of help from it. I recommend it if you're 'feeling challenged in that area'. (I also sublet rooms in my apartment, and I forget that that is income, too)

April - 1500 words! Nice!!

Magnus - "something" == Winning

Whoa Gough - 2738 words. Fantastic!

Day 1
WIP - 1/2 page
R/SC - walk in the woods. Dip in the lake
$$ - Got check. Signed contract, He'll be staying for 1 month, so I'll still be looking. No rest for the weary.

xenylic

Advancing to the Castle Age
Registered
Reaction score
All right, since this is the last month of my summer, I want to make it count!

I want to:
-Hit 100k words for Book 2 (which is 17k away currently).
-Write at least one, maybe two blog posts if I'm feeling ambitious
-Finish my query letter for good.

As for today, I got 700 words in, I'm tired, and in a pretty sticky spot in the story. I did not do very much else at all today, but I want to just reset, come back tomorrow refreshed, and pick up then and there. I had a similar bump in July where easing off a bit paid off, so fingers crossed it will work again!

On the plus side my school stuff is sitting pretty. I met my roommate via emails and texts recently and he seems cool. Also, I cleared away all the notes and reminders that were amassing in my phone, which is always a satisfying feeling!

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Enlightened: Good to see you here. And good luck with your planning. You have me wishing I was more of a plotter.

Thank You! I can't be on the pantser end. I'd flip out. :D

I usually start working at 10 or 11 AM and not stop working till 1-2 AM the next day. I'm in the U.S., so my previous work day ends when others' new work day starts (or around there).

Day 1

I just finished my 50 spells quota.
Chose which divination methods I will have my characters use in my series.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
My first short story was stalled, but I was able to switch gears and begin a new one. Two whole pages done this morning!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.