How do you publish a sequel with an agent if the first book was self-published?

coffeehunter

Registered
Reaction score
How do you publish a sequel with an agent if the first book was self-published?

The first book:
- Category: MG fantasy
- Was self-published after attempting with agents
- Sells online for coffee money, but had more success in elementary school libraries.
- Story was self-contained and finishes at the end
- Offers small hints for a series. It seems like there's more stories waiting for the MC, but not required.
- Award: Best Book Read in 2016 | category: New Writers

The second book:
- Is halfway done
- Feels like a 6th grade book compared to the previous for 5th grade
- Quite an amazing successor, but I may be biased.
- Depends on the first book
- Is aimed for traditional publishing again

My thought is an agent won't want to look at the second book if the first one was self-published and the new one is not a stand-alone book. So, I placed the book on the shelves and am working on a new title. Please let me know if my thoughts are wrong or if there's some truth to that. Thanks :)

Last edited:

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
Usually they won't consider a second book in a series at all, as they would have to sell the first to have any chance of selling the rights to the second, and you've already self-published the first. If book 1 has done really well via self-publishing and you can prove that then that's not such a huge issue, but you would have to query the first book again. Nobody will want part 2 alone. It sucks but that's business.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
+1 to what Cameron said. Agents will not consider a non-standalone sequel novel, especially where the first book has already been self-pubbed with low sales.

Sorry CoffeeHunter, but with this book you're best off staying committed to the self-publishing path you've already set out on. Continuing the series should be a big hep to the sales of the first book though!

coffeehunter

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I just wanted to confirm what I assumed. It might not be bad self-publishing this one and have my other non-related book focus on traditional publishing then.