• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Is there a word for that?

nickj47

Registered
Reaction score
I'd probably write it, "his sore legs and feet were done." Lots of different ways to say it.

Mr. Rig

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for making a new thread, but I looked for something similar, and didn't want to go too far back and resurrect a zombie. Maybe this thread can be used for similar questions.

If you are handling something sharp, and accidentally cut yourself, what is that sound you make? Like a hissing sound, but not exactly hissing because you're inhaling. I keep thinking "seethed" but the definition doesn't fit at all.

"She inhaled sharply" sounds awful. Sounding it out ("sssss" she exclaimed) is worse.

"She winced" doesn't quite portray the pain well enough.

There has to be a word!

Maybe resorting to another senses is a better form of depicting this than trying to summarize the sound in a word (in Spanish is called "onomatopeya" but I don know how to say it in English). The smell of the blood, the cold of the metal penetrating the skin and the flesh... and after that, the moan of surprise and pain.

In my mother tongue, especially in my city, if someone accidentally cuts himself, he says "¡ME CAGO EN SU PUTA MADRE!" or something like that, but I prefer not to translate it ;)

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
New one.

His sore legs and feet had had enough.

The ol' "had had" conundrum. Is it okay here? What would be better?

I change had had into 'd had, e.g. "He'd had enough" - that deflects attention away from the repetition of had, because one of them's been squashed to 'd. Though it may not work in that particular sentence, as "feet'd" is awkward (though I'd use feet'd in dialogue if that's how a character said it). So maybe go with a rephrase for this one, but it's a useful way to not have had had anywhere.