Can I post JPG images of my book chapters or book pages in the body of my email?

Kid_filmmaker

Registered
Reaction score
Can I post JPG images of my book chapters or book pages in the body of my email?

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For submissions? No. They're either copied and pasted directly into the body of the email or sent as a Word .DOC or, on occasion, .RTF attachments. Follow the submission guidelines as outlined by the agent or editor you're submitting to.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Well . . . you can do that, sure. Nobody will arrest you for doing so.

But just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do it. This is a spherically absurd idea, stupid no matter how you look at it. No editor or agent in the Milky Way galaxy wants to receive jpg graphic images of pages. None. As in ZERO.

Do some research about how publishing and publication submission works. This method definitely ain't it.

caw

Kid_filmmaker

Registered
Reaction score
For submissions? No. They're either copied and pasted directly into the body of the email or sent as a Word .DOC or, on occasion, .RTF attachments. Follow the submission guidelines as outlined by the agent or editor you're submitting to.

Ben, thank you for your answer, I appreciate you giving it straight-out without you insulting the question I asked. I'm a first time writer, so I had no idea, so I thought I'd ask. I do have another question though, what if I copy and paste it into the body of my email and the formatting is off?

Will the agent hold that against me or will they understand because it's copy and pasted? And is there a way to keep the formatting in place when I copy and paste it into the body of my email?

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
This isn't a question about writing; it's a question about submitting, thus a question about publishing.

I'm moving this to the publishing forum, where it's a better fit and more likely to garner responses.

That said, if you're querying agents, don't send them your book cover. You're querying agents because you're interested in being published by a trade publisher, rather than self-publishing.

The publisher will design and create your book's cover. You might find it helpful to spend sometime reading about querying agents (and publishers) in Query Letter Hell.

Last edited:

Kid_filmmaker

Registered
Reaction score
Yes I know now to send them my book cover, my question was how do I paste my chapters into the body of an email to them.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ben, thank you for your answer, I appreciate you giving it straight-out without you insulting the question I asked. I'm a first time writer, so I had no idea, so I thought I'd ask. I do have another question though, what if I copy and paste it into the body of my email and the formatting is off?

Will the agent hold that against me or will they understand because it's copy and pasted? And is there a way to keep the formatting in place when I copy and paste it into the body of my email?

I checked in the email function provided by my ISP and Apple's Mail; Mail is the only one that has a "paste and copy format" feature. If your email doesn't have it, then you'll need to go through the body of your submission and correct any formatting errors. Simply leaving anything that's out of alignment or has too many spaces between words and lines will make you look like a rank amateur and a prospective agent will think you don't care how you're presenting yourself, no matter how good your writing might be. You owe it to yourself so take that extra time to make it work.

Yes I know now to send them my book cover, my question was how do I paste my chapters into the body of an email to them.

As AW Admin stated above, you won't submit the book cover. They have artists on staff for that further down the line if/when your work is accepted for publication.

Last edited:

DrDLN

Banned
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
You can insert whatever info you think is important in your email. But my question is: Can you insert images of multiple books in your signature???

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
DrDLN, that’s completely unrelated to the question this thread is about. It’s not cool to hijack a thread to serve your own purposes—which is why I won’t answer here but urge us all to return to the question at hand and for DrDLN to ask at the appropriate board and to use observation to answer the question.

Maryn, not this board’s moderator

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If you are instructed to submit a chapter in the body of an email I suggest first saving it as .txt to ensure it looks how you want. Then pasteing from a .txt file