The importance of precise use of commas

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
We've had other threads on this issue before, but this article is worth a read:

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20180723-the-commas-that-cost-companies-millions

Punctuation matters.

caw

And specifically, based on the first example, this is why the Oxford (or serial) comma is so important.

And then there's this--

“Sometimes there are genuinely different understandings,” she explains. “That little comma was put in a place that you would put in a place for a breath if you’re reading it out loud.”

--which illustrates why commas and breathing have naught to do with each other.

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
Well, given the subject of this thread, that wasn't obvious.

I have come to believe that the only legitimate reason for not using the Oxford comma is if you schooled at Cambridge.

caw

I strive not to be obvious :)

My comment expressed my relief that I am unlikely to be sued due to a comma placement choice in one of my novels. And fortunately the comma police do not have arrest powers.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That took me back in time. I haven't heard the term 'drongo' for a couple of decades.

Far from drongo are the Aussie firefighters in Oregon this morning battling the blaze up our Columbia River Gorge.

:ty: and :applause: to them and to our neighbours across the Pacific.*

*This post was performed without forcing or harming any commas. :greenie

Last edited:

screenscope

Registered
Reaction score
Far from drongo are the Aussie firefighters in Oregon this morning battling the blaze up our Columbia River Gorge.

:ty: and :applause: to them and to our neighbours across the Pacific.*

*This post was performed without forcing or harming any commas. :greenie

It's great to see this kind of cooperation. US firefighters have been coming over here, too, when we suffer major bushfires. I also remember the annual visit of the giant American water bombing aircraft, 'Elvis,' for our bushfire season.