SFWA Career Mentorship Program sign ups

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
I'm kicking the dust off this because I think it's the most recent recent thread on the SFWA Mentoring Initiative.

I pushed myself into applying for this the other night. (It's open again, BTW, for those who are interested. Closes July 7. https://www.sfwa.org/other-resources/for-authors/mentoring-initiative/ )

Right afterward I started reading some of the craziest things on twitter about how some "established" SFF folks treat "lesser" folks. I'm not trying to rehash any of that here, I merely include it for context to the next bit.

Even though the chances that I will get selected are slim (I wrote my application on my phone because it was 2 a.m. and I was in bed, so I'm sure that combination made for a stellar application) I'd love it if anyone who actually went through this as a mentee wants to tell me (here or privately) about their experience with the program. I am honestly not even sure what I want out of it, but I'm trying to be more about "it can't hurt to try" when I see opportunities that literally cost nothing to try. I feel like I learned A LOT going through the finishing/querying process with my first book, and I don't think I have enough of my second book done to know where I need help yet. Like, I don't even know what I don't know, right now. But it'd be dumb to turn down a chance, to learn something, right? Anyhow, if you have anything related, I'm all ears.

PyriteFool

Registered
Reaction score
I’m in a similar boat! Applied, although I knew about all the horrible crap people have been pulling while making my decision. Mostly decided to apply out of spite really. It is a weighted lottery, so I don’t know how much the substance of your application matters, so long as it is somewhat coherent. That said, I’d love to hear about anyone’s experience.

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
I’m in a similar boat! Applied, although I knew about all the horrible crap people have been pulling while making my decision. Mostly decided to apply out of spite really. It is a weighted lottery, so I don’t know how much the substance of your application matters, so long as it is somewhat coherent. That said, I’d love to hear about anyone’s experience.

I love that you said you did it out of spite. I swear to god, one reason I've been trying to "ask" the universe more is because I saw how ENTITLED some folks were that I used to work with, asking for promotions and positions they were in no way qualified for, taking advantage of every angle they didn't need, etc. But they had learned they were unlikely to be told no, I guess? I suppose I should point out that I'm a woman and these were all men. So, anyhow, after witnessing one particularly egregious example of entitlement, I decided to act more entitled, take more chances professionally (ask for a raise, apply for that job, tell that other person "no"), and try for more opportunities (I applied for a free/cheap writing retreat spot, got it. I applied for an art grant to go to a big con, got it.) no matter how much I thought I might not be qualified enough, talented enough, or connected enough. PURELY out of spite. I highly recommend it. It beats the pants off of listening to any Imposter Syndrome whispers, not doing things and assuming you'd fail if you tried.

Also, I hadn't thought about the lottery thing, though I suppose that limits my chances even further, if there was anything redeemable in my application, LOL. That's fine. I can always try again another year.

ETA: Good luck! I tried for 15 minutes to say that in a rep point, but it refuses to work.

Last edited:

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't specifically done the SFWA mentorship/mentee program, but by and large the vast majority of the SFF writer community is genuinely helpful and deeply vested in paying it forward. Yes, there are always exceptions [INSERT DEEP, WEARY SIGH HERE] but I think if by some ill luck you fell afoul of someone behaving badly, SFWA would want to know and rectify it.

Good luck to you both (-:

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the link.

Just applied. We'll see what happens next. :)

PyriteFool

Registered
Reaction score
I love that you said you did it out of spite. I swear to god, one reason I've been trying to "ask" the universe more is because I saw how ENTITLED some folks were that I used to work with, asking for promotions and positions they were in no way qualified for, taking advantage of every angle they didn't need, etc. But they had learned they were unlikely to be told no, I guess? I suppose I should point out that I'm a woman and these were all men. So, anyhow, after witnessing one particularly egregious example of entitlement, I decided to act more entitled, take more chances professionally (ask for a raise, apply for that job, tell that other person "no"), and try for more opportunities (I applied for a free/cheap writing retreat spot, got it. I applied for an art grant to go to a big con, got it.) no matter how much I thought I might not be qualified enough, talented enough, or connected enough. PURELY out of spite. I highly recommend it. It beats the pants off of listening to any Imposter Syndrome whispers, not doing things and assuming you'd fail if you tried.

Also, I hadn't thought about the lottery thing, though I suppose that limits my chances even further, if there was anything redeemable in my application, LOL. That's fine. I can always try again another year.

ETA: Good luck! I tried for 15 minutes to say that in a rep point, but it refuses to work.

Damn straight! Take that seat at the table!! I'm also a woman and I have definitely been socialized to shrink myself, not make waves, not make too much noise, etc. Harassment is just another way to silence people who don't fit into the status quo. We'll see what happens, but I hope we both have the opportunity to take a spot.

Stytch

Registered
Reaction score
Updates? Anyone hear anything? The SFWA twitter said this on July 31:

"The SFWA Career Mentor program is starting to send out matches for our next round that begins in August. We expect to notify everyone who applied within the next week, whether mentor or mentee, matched or unmatched. Want more info? Head here: https://sfwa.org/other-resources/for-authors/mentoring-initiative/"

It's only halfway through the week, for those (like me) still holding out hope of hearing something. Between this, job applications, short story submissions, and other stuff, I'm just constantly refreshing emails. As one does.

Continued good luck to all!