Did Russian Hackers Alter Votes?

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Because this deals with Russia I'm putting it here (and also I hate starting new threads)

But I'm feeling more and more that we are living in an alternate universe - or a movie. Or perhaps there is an April Fools Day in August and no one mentioned it, I just don't really know anymore.

So apparently Steven Seagal (yes that one - the puffy, has-been action hero) is now a Russian citizen and a close friend of Vlad's. He's just been appointed The Russian Ministry's Special Representative, to promote US-Russian relations.

Seriously, there is so much unbelievable stuff going on that my "give a crap" meter is permanently broken but this has me agape. It's like "The Onion" has teamed up with Alice in Wonderland to write world politics. What the everloving hell??

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/04/politics/steven-seagal-russia-special-representative/index.html

I need a drink. And not vodka.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Because this deals with Russia I'm putting it here (and also I hate starting new threads)

But I'm feeling more and more that we are living in an alternate universe - or a movie. Or perhaps there is an April Fools Day in August and no one mentioned it, I just don't really know anymore.

So apparently Steven Seagal (yes that one - the puffy, has-been action hero) is now a Russian citizen and a close friend of Vlad's. He's just been appointed The Russian Ministry's Special Representative, to promote US-Russian relations.

Seriously, there is so much unbelievable stuff going on that my "give a crap" meter is permanently broken but this has me agape. It's like "The Onion" has teamed up with Alice in Wonderland to write world politics. What the everloving hell??

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/04/politics/steven-seagal-russia-special-representative/index.html

I need a drink. And not vodka.

Truly, these are insane days. *passes gin*

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Truly, these are insane days. *passes gin*

Thanks for saying so. It seems to me that nuts is the new normal.

*takes gin and adds some tonic and lime takes a big swig - and then another!* :e2drunk:

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
That joke about CERN messing with our reality--have you heard it? I haven't every laughed. The reality I grew up with was horrible but didn't feel as if it was written by a group of money-crazed, people-hating novelists.

As for what we can do in response to foreign attacks on our voting system? Jeesh, I don't know. I know less the more I think about how screwed the nation has become.

Where did that gin go?

Fingers

My cat Toby
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in the woods around Portland Oregon
Steven Seagal? Now I know these guys are on some good drugs. Either that or dumpf has some kind of stupidity virus and now he has managed to pass it on to Putin. I am unable to fathom the thinking process that came up with that idea and thought it was a good one. Steven Seagal, really? (walks away quietly muttering to myself)

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
I have the bottle. Gilbey's--not the top of the line but it will do. I am toasting Giuliani for the bang up job he is by doing defending Trump. A little tonic, a squeeze of lime and you have the drink that fueled the British Empire. Also the best drink for a 101* Kansas Sunday afternoon. I will pass the bottle on as soon as I have a second gin and tonic. It was good old marijuana that got me through Watergate but now, I no longer smoke dope--hard on the resp system and a little embarrassing to be busted at my age. --s6

PS-- Gin Buck is good too--gin and gingerale.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I have the bottle. Gilbey's--not the top of the line but it will do. I am toasting Giuliani for the bang up job he is by doing defending Trump. A little tonic, a squeeze of lime and you have the drink that fueled the British Empire. Also the best drink for a 101* Kansas Sunday afternoon. I will pass the bottle on as soon as I have a second gin and tonic. It was good old marijuana that got me through Watergate but now, I no longer smoke dope--hard on the resp system and a little embarrassing to be busted at my age. --s6

PS-- Gin Buck is good too--gin and gingerale.

Opening a second bottle to pass around. Tanqueray work for everyone?

PPS--Gin & Lemonade with a couple of muddled mint leaves, try it. :)

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll take a glass of that.

Russians Are Targeting Private Election Companies, Too — And States Aren’t Doing Much About It
Hackers probed 21 state systems during the lead-up to the 2016 election and gained access to one. But the federal government and states don’t appear to have made great strides to ensure that this doesn’t happen again. To do so, they’d need to deal with not only their own cybersecurity deficits but also those of the private companies that help states administer elections.

Voting machine manufacturers and the makers of election software and electronic poll books (which are lists of eligible voters) are crucially intertwined with state election systems. All states, to some extent or another, rely on these private companies for election products. But despite the central role these companies play, state regulations of them are relatively lax. That’s a problem, especially at a time when these companies are, along with state governments, targets of foreign agents of chaos.

The recent indictment of Russian military intelligence officers as part of special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation aligned with previous reports that VR Systems, a company that provides electronic poll books and voter registration management systems to eight states, had been hacked via a phishing scheme aimed at compromising employee login credentials. The compromise of VR Systems allowed the hackers to create convincing emails for phishing attacks, this time on state election officials who used the company’s products. Many state officials appeared not to learn of the compromise until news reports about it last summer. Emails obtained by The Intercept reveal that state officials who use VR Systems responded to the breach by seeking guidance from the Department of Homeland Security.
In other words, guidance from the group that benefitted from the Russian hacking.

Then there's this guy: He Worked for a Russian Bank—Now He’s Trump’s Man at Justice
It’s Brian Benczkowski, confirmed last week to a pivotal position as assistant attorney general. He has almost no relevant experience for the job, unless you count passing the bar.

What he does have, as former staffer and close friend of Attorney General Jeff Sessions, is the president’s ear from his prior spot on his transition team as well as ties to Russia’s Alfa Bank at a time when Russia’s assumed Most Favored Nation status in the White House.

It was his representation of Alfa Bank that made his nomination one of the most hard fought of the administration. In early 2017, with the transition over, Benczkowski returned to his private law practice. He said yes to representing Alfa Bank as it fought charges that it had suspicious contact with a Trump Organization server. He also sued BuzzFeed on Alfa’s behalf for printing the Steele Dossier.

In June 2017, Trump nominated Benczkowski to headJustice’s Criminal Division. Rather than disclose his work for Alfa, Benczkowski kept it secret. When Democrats on Judiciary discovered that Alfa was a client in an FBI confidential file and confronted him. Benczkowski said he wasn’t being secretive but had been abiding by a clause in his contract which the client subsequently waived.
Supposedly he's recused himself from certain relevant cases.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Remember the little meeting at Trump Tower, so that Donnie Jr. could address his grave concerns about international adoption rules?

Remember how Trump said that was what it was about?

Remember how Donnie Jr. testified that was what it was about?

Ooops.

@realDonaldTrump

Fake News reporting, a complete fabrication, that I am concerned about the meeting my wonderful son, Donald, had in Trump Tower. This was a meeting to get information on an opponent, totally legal and done all the time in politics - and it went nowhere. I did not know about it!

As my friend put it:

"There was no collusion"

"There might have been collusion"

"There was collusion but it wasn't me"

"There was collusion and I did it but collusion is not illegal" <- You are here.

"There was collusion and I did it and it was illegal but it's not my fault"

Likely finishing off with

"There was collusion and I did it and it was illegal and it was my fault but you can't prosecute me because I'm the president and I'm pardoning myself"

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
He flails around any harder, he'll throw his own grandmother under the bus...

And anyone notice how they couldn't rent an air-conditioned venue for last night's 'rally'? And that white men had to hold up the Women-and-Blacks signs?

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Don't know if there's a better thread, but as regards voting, hacking, altering, and just plain screwiness in the voting process:
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/poli...ias-primary/ar-BBLQ5IY?li=AAggNb9&OCID=FIRPLC

670 ballots in a 276 voter precinct in Georgia?
And, numerous other failures, confusion etc. Whether it's hacking, substandard equipment, or general political shenanigans, something is very wrong. Oh, and apparently there's little chance of getting it fixed before the midterms.

Heckuva case for paper ballots. Or, possibly, photographing the screen before you press the button?

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it took a couple of 11-year-olds < 15 minutes to change results on a Fla. voting website at a kids' hacking event, so.... I'm sure Russians won't do anything.

Or, you know, the opposite of that.

An 11-year-old boy on Friday was able to hack into a replica of the Florida state election website and change voting results found there in under 10 minutes during the world’s largest yearly hacking convention, DEFCON 26, organizers of the event said.

Thousands of adult hackers attend the convention annually, while this year a group of children attempted to hack 13 imitation websites linked to voting in presidential battleground states.

The boy, who was identified by DEFCON officials as Emmett Brewer, accessed a replica of the Florida secretary of state’s website. He was one of about 50 children between the ages of 8 and 16 who were taking part in the so-called “DEFCON Voting Machine Hacking Village,” a portion of which allowed kids the chance to manipulate party names, candidate names and vote count totals....

an 11-year-old girl also managed to make changes to the same Florida replica website in about 15 minutes, tripling the number of votes found there.

Sell said more than 30 children hacked a variety of other similar state replica websites in under a half hour.

“These are very accurate replicas of all of the sites,” Sell told the PBS NewsHour on Sunday. “These things should not be easy enough for an 8-year-old kid to hack within 30 minutes, it’s negligent for us as a society.”

Don't talk crazy; it's fiiiiiine.