Should I open with an introduction?

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
I'm turning to traditional publishing after a while of trying to make self-publishing work. I've send several queries over the past month, and have yet to receive a reply.

The way I've structured my emails so far is to start with a short introduction along the lines of:

Dear Mr/Ms. X. My name is Eli Freysson, and I am an Icelandic SFF author. I've self-published two series on Amazon, but have come to accept that I have no talent for marketing. So I'm turning to traditional publishing. I'm hoping to interest you in the latest in my new trilogy.

I then follow with the blurb text, and then an excerpt or synopsis if requested in the agent's guidelines.

Should I just open with "Dear Mr/Ms X" and then jump straight to the blurb? Does a typical agent blow through query emails fast enough that I need to shave these kinds of pleasantries away?

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I'm turning to traditional publishing after a while of trying to make self-publishing work. I've send several queries over the past month, and have yet to receive a reply.

The way I've structured my emails so far is to start with a short introduction along the lines of:

I then follow with the blurb text, and then an excerpt or synopsis if requested in the agent's guidelines.

Are you querying in the US/UK? AFAIK this format isn't standard for either market.

Does a typical agent blow through query emails fast enough that I need to shave these kinds of pleasantries away?

You bet they do.

Query Letter Hell is the forum you want. They'll get you into shape.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score

Should I just open with "Dear Mr/Ms X" and then jump straight to the blurb? Does a typical agent blow through query emails fast enough that I need to shave these kinds of pleasantries away?

I queried with just "Dear Mr/Ms X" and the blurb/summary, followed by a tight housekeeping paragraph ("I'm seeking representation for "The Wonders of Cheese" a Magical Realism novel complete at 90k words." + Publishing credits + Thank you for your time and consideration I look forward to hearing from you.)

Some folks do put the housekeeping paragraph at the top, but that's up to you. I would, whatever you decide to do, cut out the self-deprecation of your current opening paragraph. It's a fine like between being over-confident and pitching your work well, but you do not want to suggest that you are unsuccessful and that "I've tried X but that didn't work out so now I'm trying Y" is problematic. (And yes you want to be honest about past history, but there's no reason to downplay your effort or make it seem like seeking an agent and a trade publisher is your second choice.)

Best of luck.

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
Are you querying in the US/UK? AFAIK this format isn't standard for either market.

I'm not targeting either market in particular.

And I follow the guidelines set by each agent. All of them ask for a query letter, and some ask for a synopsis and/or sample.

You bet they do.

... I guess I can forget about those six emails.

I queried with just "Dear Mr/Ms X" and the blurb/summary, followed by a tight housekeeping paragraph

Housekeeping paragraph? I guess I just learned a new phrase.

Some folks do put the housekeeping paragraph at the top, but that's up to you. I would, whatever you decide to do, cut out the self-deprecation of your current opening paragraph. It's a fine like between being over-confident and pitching your work well, but you do not want to suggest that you are unsuccessful and that "I've tried X but that didn't work out so now I'm trying Y" is problematic. (And yes you want to be honest about past history, but there's no reason to downplay your effort or make it seem like seeking an agent and a trade publisher is your second choice.)

I do feel it's worth mentioning that I'm demonstrably capable of turning out books at a good pace, but obviously if I were a solo success I would still be doing that.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Never ever tell an agent you're no good at marketing.

You can start by saying why you've picked that agent to query. Some prefer that, although some don't like it. You can start by saying you've got a completed x words book with series potential. Or you can start with the blurb. Many prefer the blurb. A few prefer the "housekeeping" paragraph to start.

Put the bit that you're Icelandic in the paragraph about you.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I do feel it's worth mentioning that I'm demonstrably capable of turning out books at a good pace, but obviously if I were a solo success I would still be doing that.

Actually, I wouldn't bother with this. The agent is either going to fall for the pitch, or not. How fast you can produce isn't of interest to them at this stage - and what you consider "finished" may not be what they consider "finished."

Pitch the book.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
Word of advice - this

"I've self-published two series on Amazon, but have come to accept that I have no talent for marketing. So I'm turning to traditional publishing. I'm hoping to interest you in the latest in my new trilogy."

says three things to an agent:

1) You don't know that the correct term is "trade publishing" not "traditional publishing". That's not a good start.
2) You see trade publishing, i.e. the agent's business, as your second-best option.
3) Your previous series didn't sell.

They're just going to bin it at this point, to be perfectly honest with you. I would suggest a serious re-think.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
Everything Pete said. +1

+2

And also this:

You still have to market your work even if you're traditionally published. Telling an agent up front that you are unable or unwilling to do marketing is a straight line to the trash for your query.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Marketing is the publisher's job. If we're actually talking about promotion then, yes, most publishers appreciate authors who pitch in. But beware any publisher which requires promotional efforts (or calls it marketing. Or genuinely expects authors to market, e.g. shill their books to stores).

Unless, of course, they're willing to pay you the going rate for a publicist/marketer.

Hbooks

Registered
Reaction score
Dear Mr/Ms. X. My name is Eli Freysson, and I am an Icelandic SFF author. I'm hoping to interest you in the latest in my new trilogy.

This isn't standard formatting for a query (QLH is awesome!) but all I would include are these two things, formatted differently. Like the part about Iceland could come in when you mention your degree. Your name will be in the signature. It will be obvious you are a SFF author and that you want them interested in your new trilogy because that's what you're querying, so no need to say that again.

I would not mention the previous self-pubbed works if they did not do well. They will come up eventually, but the query is about getting the agent to read your pages. Right now your query is highlighting all the negatives (marketing isn't your thing, previous books haven't sold well), rather than encouraging the agent to give the pages a chance.

Last edited:

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
It's very disheartening that I often feel like the Sideshow Bob of struggling authors: I can't seem to move in any direction without stepping on a rake.

Please don't take this to mean that I don't appreciate replies. I'm mad at myself.

but all I would include are these two things, formatted differently

Like how?

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
It's very disheartening that I often feel like the Sideshow Bob of struggling authors: I can't seem to move in any direction without stepping on a rake.

And then one day, something clicks and you're like the Kool-Aid man breaking through the wall and letting out a triumphant 'OH YEAH!' I would say you've already broken through many of the barriers that most of us are still struggling with, so crazier things have happened.

Hbooks

Registered
Reaction score
Efreysson, if you go to SYW and the Query Letter Hell forum there are tons of stickies that detail exactly how to format a query much better than I could ever explain.

Once you've got a draft going, including the short bio at the bottom, which can be something like: "I have a degree from XX in XX. NIGHT OF THE ATTACK-KITTENS is complete at 90,000 words." or whatever, the QLH people will help youmake it even better than that.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Now that you know the rakes are there, you'll be better able to sidestep them.

And yes, take a look at the stickies in Query Letter Hell. Password is vista.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Rain777

Registered
Reaction score
The first line of a query should always be positive, succinct and attention grabbing.

The point of a query is to keep an agent reading, wanting more, and thinking that just maybe your writing is marketable and they they can make money if they partner up with you. So brutal honesty, like what your failures are or that getting an agent at all is your second choice to publishing, should never be in any part of a query.

First line, after a proper salutation, should be the reason you picked this agent and a way to connect (only if you have an honest and believable connection to highlight, like they represented an author with a very similar style to yours). Then you need a hook, a one liner that sums up and sells your book to them. The query should focus solely on your writing, not you - until you get to the bio at the end.

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
The first line of a query should always be positive, succinct and attention grabbing.
First line, after a proper salutation, should be the reason you picked this agent and a way to connect (only if you have an honest and believable connection to highlight, like they represented an author with a very similar style to yours). Then you need a hook, a one liner that sums up and sells your book to them. The query should focus solely on your writing, not you - until you get to the bio at the end.

This is one way to format a query, but not the only way. (And some agents specifically ask for no "hook" or "log line", they want the 2-3 paragraph summary of the book.)

Mileage varies greatly in trying to "connect" with the agent by expressing why you picked them. (Unless you are querying with a referral this is usually useless info, quite frankly.) With certain MSs it makes more sense to put the housekeeping paragraph first. (For instance a book in which the speculative element is more subtle, or a romance that bends tropes in usual ways.) For others, the summary/pitch should go immediately after the "Dear <Insert Fabulous Agent Name Here>".

Be careful about offering advice as an absolute. (I have a preferred way to write a pitch/cover/query letter when necessary, but I also make sure when I talk to folks about it that it's a way that works for me, but may not work for them and they should try out different styles to see what works best.)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
This is one way to format a query, but not the only way. (And some agents specifically ask for no "hook" or "log line", they want the 2-3 paragraph summary of the book.)

I've actually only seen one agent explicitly ask for the query NOT to start with the pitch, although I haven't done extensive research in a while.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score

1. I've uniformly heard that bio goes at the end.

2. I've heard to jump into the pitch BUT ALSO HEARD the opposite, to NOT jump straight into the pitch.

3. I've heard to start with why you think the agent might be interested in the book you wrote, and book stats:

Dear Agent (first name only, I believe)

At 97,000 words, my (age/genre book TITLE) may appeal to you because you have an interest in (researched item, MSWL,other.) It is similar to (comps).

Pitch

Bio (incl websites, pubs, etc)

Thank you,
Me (First name only, I believe)
Contact info (email, phone, etc)

--> For this third option, I've not seen anyone except Query Shark (and I'm not sure about that) advise 100% against it. Here, we've created this sort-of meme that the pitch goes first, but on Twitter, I've seen a couple agents annoyed if there's no introductory 'book metrics + why the agent is right' up front.

No one wants what you did, which is starting with Bio, as far as I can tell. They want to know metrics of the book you wrote so they have framing for the pitch, and why they are right for it. If they agree, they read the pitch. Then the bio can help.

-my current understanding.

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I queried with just "Dear Mr/Ms X" and the blurb/summary, followed by a tight housekeeping paragraph ("I'm seeking representation for "The Wonders of Cheese" a Magical Realism novel complete at 90k words." + Publishing credits + Thank you for your time and consideration I look forward to hearing from you.) .

And, I was shocked on Twitter to see an agent incensed that the wrong form of address was used. The gender identification of the agent did not match what the writer assumed.

Because there aren't enough things for us to fret over.

I feel like using 'Dear first name' is rude. How I was raised. Evidently some feel that formal address is offensive.

It's a maze.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I've actually only seen one agent explicitly ask for the query NOT to start with the pitch, although I haven't done extensive research in a while.

I've seen two so far, at least, in the last few months and none that say they don't want it. Small sample size, but when they say they want the nice thing first, they say it in a way that makes me wonder how there can be so many disconnects in this business. Like, "It's called a letter for a reason. Do these writers not know how to write a decent letter?"

Which tells me some agents are not aware that there is a thwack of advice online to jump straight into the pitch.

Rakes indeed. OP, you are not alone.

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
Agents who already have a full client list *may* ask for something specific to help them discern who is actually researching them and who is just sending out a bunch of queries. (Querying a bunch of folks is not an issue, but if you are sending out stuff more or less blindly you run the risk of querying an agent who has absolutely no interest in your project no matter how well written.) It's similar to magazines that ask for an email header with a specific format.

And, if an agent reps a fairly small genre-set they may want to know what genre before they read the pitch. (Again, because some folks don't research well or thoroughly.) That said, these preferences are usually not hidden so even though it feels like some sort of secret game, it's not.

Just... do your research. (Read the agency website, the agent bio. Check their blog if they have one. Google "<agent name> interview" to see if they mention preferences for querying, etc.)

mpack

Swooping is bad.
Registered
Reaction score
Then you need a hook, a one liner that sums up and sells your book to them.

Current advice weighs against this sort of logline. I've seen only one or two agents request them, in which case include it. Otherwise, I would omit.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Patty, I use Dear Full Name to get around the title offense thing.

For the rest, I follow Jessica Faust's advice and don't stress over it. Someone who rejects because of finicky nitpicks is probably a petty minded grump anyway, and not someone you'd necessarily want to work with.