Recommendations for an Audiobook (or two)

Justobuddies

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Registered
Reaction score
Through a trial at Audiobooks.com that I forgot about, and have been paying for (for reasons I won't go into) I now have some credit for books that I can get. But really have no idea what titles to take a listen to. I generally like epic fantasies (Sanderson, Rothfuss, Martin, Jordan, etc.), and have enjoyed a few of the shorter noir urban fantasies I've picked up recently (Dresden Files, Burned Man) but am open to the idea of something different. So here I am looking for a good audio book or two to put in my ear-holes.

Thanks in advance,

your friendly neighborhood Outer God

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Have you read Steven Brust? Based on your list I think you might like him if you haven't. There are very good audiobooks of his Jhereg novels -- start with the first one, Jhereg.

Justobuddies

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Registered
Reaction score
Nasty cough you've got there. ;)

Unfortunately audiobooks.com really has a poor selection (meaning most of my fellow AW'ers audio books can't be found).

Singcali

Registered
Reaction score
Sanderson's Stormlight Archives is a must and I love Michael Krammer's narrating.
He also did The wheel of Time. Another good one.

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with your book, Aggy B. I thought book promotion is not allowed?????

Shhhh, if none of us complain than the mods won't notice.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
There's a big difference between mentioning your own book in a thread asking for books like it, and posting solely to promote your book.

Last edited:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with your book, Aggy B. I thought book promotion is not allowed?????

If someone asks for a recommendation you can say "Hey, I have a thing like that." If I were popping into every thread on every subforum to say "Hey, that's a great recipe for lentils. Did you know I have a book out?" that would be a different matter.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
This Room Mod Sez: You can recommend your own book in "I need a recommendation" threads, as long as it fits what the OP is looking for.

What Aggy did was fine.

But don't recommend your non-fic book on building furniture from peanut shells in SFF, for instance.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do they have any older options in audiobooks.com? One of my favorite audio books: Battlefield Earth by L Ron Hubbard.

I know, I know, you've heard bad things, but trust me, before he went over the deep end with Scientology, Hubbard used to crank out sci-fi books by the dozens. And he wrote at least one jewel, Battlefield Earth. Oh, and ignore the fact John Travolta tried to turn the novel into a movie. He failed spectacularly.

It actually is a very good book.

Jinnambex

Silence is deafening
Registered
Reaction score
If you like Patrick Rothfuss's Kingkiller Chronicles (or if you haven't tried his two books, try them!), I would recommend Dawn of Wonder, by Jonathan Renshaw. It is the first of a self-published series, but this book does not seem self-published. It's a story that focuses heavily on relationships of the young protags, but it has beautiful cadence and prose IMO and will be a series I will definitely invest in.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Noir urban fantasies? Check out the work of CT Phipps.

Conrad Adamson

Registered
Reaction score
Michael J. Sullivan's Riyria series is pretty solid epic fantasy, but be warned that the first book in the series, Theft of Swords, is not to the level of the rest of the series. The characters are great, the plot is tight and every loose thread is tied up at the end, even ones you forgot about by the end of the series. I think he lacks somewhat in raw writing ability but the overall end product is pleasing. It helps that he has Tim Gerard Reynolds narrating, who is my favorite audiobook narrator.

Justobuddies

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone. Turns out Audiobooks.com has really slim pickings on what's available in the fantasy department.

I did eventually go with Michael J. Sullivan's The Legends of the First Empire series.