RWA2018 and Suzanne Brockmann's Lifetime Achievement Blow-Up

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
A friend on Facebook posted a link to an open post from a woman who just wouldn't STFU about this and with every "but I'm not racist/homophobic!" reply kept digging herself deeper and deeper. (What made it really bad was she complained how the use of Language, in particular the word "fuck", in romance novels only proved the authors' and readers' lack of education, coming ][ this close to saying they're stupid. What made it even worse was she comes ][ this close to telling you some of her best friends are a black/brown/Not White™ [yes, she uses the articles "the" and "a" when talking about black people, as in "the blacks" or "a black"] and only refers to President Obama as "the previous occupant of the White House".)

ETA: In another post, she tries to make her point about discrimination and affirmative action by...talking about her black Lab.

ETAA: In a comment to another post, it's revealed she's making a formal complaint to RWA.

That's the woman I was talking about on FB. Aside from her just being straight racist, the term "blacks" doesn't bother me. I refer to myself as black. I can't stand the term "African-American" for many reasons. One is unless the person came from Africa, it's inaccurate. I mean how can you call ALL blacks African-American when most of us never even set foot there but not call Charlize Theron who was BORN in Africa, African-American? She is African-American but how many times have we heard folks call her that outside making the same point I am about the inaccuracy of calling all blacks the term? I didn't come from Africa and neither did anyone in my family who is living right now. My ancestors centuries ago came from Africa but not me. If I'd been born in Africa and became American, it would be correct to call me that. I am American, that's it. I don't care for attaching "American" on the end of the name for an ethnic group because it's another sample of separation and how minorities aren't regarded as just Americans. We call white people "white" and rarely does anyone use "white American". People can call themselves what they want but I have never agreed with calling myself African-American and I don't. But, speaking of this lady, it doesn't matter what she called us, she is just plain racist and ridiculous either way. Saying "African-Americans" wouldn't have made it any better.

People are saying her writing career is dead but honestly, did she have much of one anyway? ;) Who has heard of her? Folks on her friends list didn't even know her. I wouldn't be shocked if this was her way of getting publicity or attention and it backfired.

Another Roseanne bites the dust.

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know you're being mature and kind by not posting the link, but by god I want to read that thread.
biggrin.png

I'm just afraid that no matter what I do, it's going to get picked up by searchbots and it's going to wind up on my Permanent Record™.

Last edited:

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Each post I read about this makes me cry again. I'm glad people are speaking out, but I'm boggled by the sheer wasted potential that the RWA & the romance publishing industry has ignored. Thrown away. The authors who've simply never entered RWA contests, queried a novel...or shelved their writing as Salcedo did.

That's a lot of great diverse books we never got a chance to read.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Okay, that's a hopeful collection of steps. One of my biggest frustrations is bookseller shelving practices. Sadly, that's driven more of my (all genre) purchases to ebook, either Kindle or Kobo where I have a better chance of finding the diverse books I want.