Genre question

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
My story takes place outside of the universe (not in another dimension but just outside of the universe) . The universe is considered an evil place run by a cruel figure. Outside of the universe there is a planet similar to Earth, but the technology is more advanced and there is magic. The MC in the first story is an inventor, so I thought it would be sci-fi but then I remembered the shift shapers and the magic ruler of the evil universe. So I ask you, what genre is it? I know there is such a thing as science fantasy, is that what this is?

tom.gtm

Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like a combination SF and fantasy, but that's OK. don't let the classification get in the way of telling the story. just write what you need write.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Offhand, I'd probably call it science fantasy or straight-up fantasy (though that's just me; the "fantasy" part usually trumps the "science" part in my mind, because once you get into fantasy, you get the Impossible Thing that simply cannot and will not fit with known or speculative science in any way), though I agree it's not something you need to obsess about until you at least have a solid draft and are looking to refine for a market. Even then, there's pretty heavy bleedover in SF and F, so it's not like you have widely disparate genres you need to reconcile to find a niche market.

If it's a dark and evil world where dark and evil things are happening, it could also be horror, which sometimes seem to trump both SF and F as its own thing.

Princess Of Needles

wants to poke all the shiny things
Registered
Reaction score
You could just call it "speculative." Some might call it "science fantasy" but I don't know how widely-accepted that term is.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
How much of the inventing is speculative?

Can the shapeshifters and the "magical ruler" be explained by science or only by magic?

I don't know how it affects querying, but I know that when I run the Beta Project, I've gotten a lot of sci-fantasy/speculative entries the past few years (mostly in adult). OTOH, at least in YA, I don't see much in the way of speculative/sci-fantasy on the shelves. Could be I just haven't run across it, though.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
No, the magical ruler can't be explained by science, but that's because no one is braver enough to try. (hey! that gives me an idea for that story) But the shift shapers can. Something with DNA (haven't gotten that far yet.)

Dreamer3702

a real life cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
The first thing that popped into my mind is the comic book series Saga, which is billed as a Space Opera Fantasy. Is your novel along those lines perhaps?

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
The first thing that popped into my mind is the comic book series Saga, which is billed as a Space Opera Fantasy. Is your novel along those lines perhaps?

Well, the characters never go into space until the MC finally perfects his invention to get them into the evil universe, which is near the end... I think. This story is still waiting its turn to be written or even planned. Anyways, it probably wouldn't be a space opera and there are hardly any elements of high fantasy. My MC isn't skilled in magic or combat (He's a human inventor) nor is this world like Lord of the Rings. The world is more like Si-fi. But thanks for your input. (I never really knew that there was anything that mixed genres, like mine does, so thanks again)