Help with a more historical sounding word please - not for kids

Lone Wolf

Registered
Reaction score
I would like suggestions or input please on a fitting term for a woman in a physical but not romantic relationship, just for fun.
What I have so far is "plaything" but I think maybe that would sound too modern for my medieval setting. Do you agree?

She's not forced or paid and they are talking about little more than kissing. She's keen to be making out with him. He wants her but worries it wouldn't be fair on her because he doesn't want a girlfriend or wife.
It didn’t seem right to lead her into a physical relationship. There were two many ways it could go wrong. And when it all went pear-shaped, she – a young woman with nowhere else to go would suffer the most. She had everything to lose and nothing to gain by being his plaything. and “You’re too good to be my plaything..."

"consort" sounds too formal and to me necessitates sex. Any other suggestions please?

Lone Wolf

Registered
Reaction score
Paramour? Doxy? Fancy woman?

"Pear-shaped" also sounds modern to me. It appears to have originated with the RAF in WW2: https://www.theguardian.com/notesandqueries/query/0,5753,-24660,00.html

Thanks! Good note about the "pear-shaped", I can replace that easily enough.
I did think of paramour but I thought it sounds like "lover" - that is, with romantic attachment. Is that just me?
To me "doxy" means the small, annoying fairy-like creature from Harry Potter.

Tocotin

deceives
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, but I'm afraid they don't fit as I'm looking for a term that specifically excludes any inference of attachment.

Hm, but physical attachment is also, well, attachment. It's difficult to imagine a relationship like this without any sympathy or emotional bond. If they are equals and she's not paid or forced, "friend" or "paramour" sound close enough. "Lover" or "mistress" are also pretty general terms and can have a lot of variations...

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Hm. "Plaything" sounds to me as if he's using her maliciously, rather than it being a two-way, for-fun kind of arrangement. That's another reason it doesn't work.

I've been racking my brain and can't come up with a great word for that sentence. My solution? Reword it so you don't need a noun there. Say something like "after the things we have done with each other" or "after the games we'd played" or "after the things we'd explored".

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
Leman? Bedmate? Comfort?
It's hard to think of something that doesn't imply either affection or payment.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Coquette . . . a bit flirtatious, yet ultimately constrained by the veneer of current social mores . . ?

Masel

Registered
Reaction score
Is it a medieval-esque fantasy setting or Medieval Europe because with the later you can never go wrong with Latin. A quick Google translate gets amica for friend who is female.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Pillow-friend. Leman (lover in Middle English)

If you can pick a language/culture that you're using, that helps.

If you want to invent your own pseudo Medieval culture, that gives you a larger canvas.

For instance: Medieval Irish law (Brehon law) has several kinds of contracts between consenting adults that relate to sexual relationships. Temporary, long term/permanent, contracts for a specific time, contracts for progeny, etc.

That said, making out was just as popular in earlier ages as it is now, and they did know that coitus could cause pregnancy.

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

Registered
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks!
It is medieval-esque fantasy setting, loosely based on England about 1200 to 1400.

"Plaything" sounds to me as if he's using her maliciously, rather than it being a two-way, for-fun kind of arrangement. That's another reason it doesn't work.
Actually it captures the nuance of way he is thinking. Not that he wants to use her maliciously or uncaringly but even though she's keen he worries that he is using her and feels a bit guilty. He's telling himself he should not get involved so he would use a term that frames it the worst light. In modern times he would say f*#!-toy or bitch or maybe f*!#-buddy.

I find the expectation of "historical" language is the hardest part of writing a vaguely historical story. Friends and family are quick to pounce on words they think sound too modern. I find it very difficult to replace them because there may not be an equivalent term or the equivalent term has probably fallen into disuse and my reader would not know what it/I meant. And sometimes words that sound modern are actually much older than people think so they jump on you even when it's correct.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Well, plaything is from c. 1670 according to etymonline, so it's at least old-timey if you're not being too scrupulous. The reason I said what I said is that in the sentence you provided, the character himself seems to be labeling her as a plaything, though in reality he doesn't seem to be treating her/thinking of her as such--he only fears that that will be the perception, or even the reality. So I might reword slightly to say something like, "You're too good to be seen as nothing but my plaything," or "You're too good to be just a plaything for someone like me". Sorry, maybe I'm getting a bit off-track here, but I think the sentiment you're trying to convey could be made a little clearer.

I feel like I need a gif right here of Chuck from Supernatural saying, "Writing is hard."

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
The only term that's coming to mind for me isn't a real term and the real term it's based on is decidely modern, but it gave me a giggle so I figured I may as well share.

"Smoochy call."

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Marriage wasn't so much of a thing for non-wealthy/religious folk.

Remember that Chaucer c. 1400 says in the Prologue to his Canterbury Tales that the Wife of Bath

Housbondes at chirche dore she hadde fyve,
461 Withouten oother compaignye in youthe

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks!
It is medieval-esque fantasy setting, loosely based on England about 1200 to 1400.

Actually it captures the nuance of way he is thinking. Not that he wants to use her maliciously or uncaringly but even though she's keen he worries that he is using her and feels a bit guilty. He's telling himself he should not get involved so he would use a term that frames it the worst light. In modern times he would say f*#!-toy or bitch or maybe f*!#-buddy.

"Wench" may be a bit cliche as Ye Olde Bi-otche but it could work.

Lone Wolf

Registered
Reaction score
Marriage wasn't so much of a thing for non-wealthy/religious folk.

Remember that Chaucer c. 1400 says in the Prologue to his Canterbury Tales that the Wife of Bath

I have no idea what Chaucer is saying.

Do you mean non-wealthy folk had relationships like many couples today - committed de-facto without the need have the wedding? Or are you saying they had relationships without any commitment - which would mean lots of single mothers and unsupported kids? That doesn't seem likely?

eldergrantaire

Registered
Reaction score
I recommend the tumblr thetimelinesofslang.tumblr.com. He doesn't have a timeline specifically for this concept, but Because Patriarchy, some of the less graphic words for 'sex worker' on the commercial sex timeline might fit? I'm thinking something like 'doxy' or 'punk'.

Lone Wolf

Registered
Reaction score
I recommend the tumblr thetimelinesofslang.tumblr.com. He doesn't have a timeline specifically for this concept, but Because Patriarchy, some of the less graphic words for 'sex worker' on the commercial sex timeline might fit? I'm thinking something like 'doxy' or 'punk'.

That's a great resource which will be very useful to me! Thanks!

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
How about his handfast

It's something that humanists do as part of the wedding ceremony, but the original meaning was a kind of temporary marriage so that the celebrants could get together with dignity but not worry too much about pension plans...

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
I think paramour would work - this often refers to a clandestine lover rather than a sweetheart. It doesn't have the connotation of a legitimate, sentimental relationship. In fact, by the late 14th century it was pretty much the equivalent term of fuck buddy :greenie