I may want to move, but I don’t know where.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GPatten

Dang...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
forum.m1911.org
I’m tired of the constant migration of criminals from the big cities in the north, the glut of traffic slipping into my small town, the Love Bugs smeared all over my car twice a year, the constant fires looming in the distance threatening my life and home, and running for cover from the hurricanes only to avoid the Mid Atlantic, tropical storms now starting to build on the planes and roll off the coast of Africa.

The hard part of life is creeping up on me; I want the simple life, the piece and tranquility, and the giggles and friendly laughter of the country folk. I want to run away to the wilderness, the hills and valleys in the southeast.

I want to look out the window and watch a wave of gentle rain push down a mountaintop and sweep across my backyard. I want to buy, or rent a small cabin, a one or two bedroom manufactured home; hell, I’d even go for a cot in the kitchen of a small travel trailer that’s parked on the side of a mountain, I’d fire up the grill or a two burner stove and have coffee, pancakes, and sausage for breakfast.

I want to sit by the window with my coffee and listen to the morning birds conversing with peeps and chirps. Pull out my laptop and ditty doodle a melody, a verse. I don’t want no TV, no Internet, no sound of neighbors at all, but where?

Columbus Georgia?
Spartanburg South Carolina?
Cherokee territory?
Greensboro North Carolina?
Somewhere in South Carolina?

I’m tired of palms; I want to smell the evergreens, the White Dogwood, the Red Maple, and poplar.

Give me the sounds of a Banjo, don’t want no Rap music. I want to hear and touch a countrywoman.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dear GP

You sound like me a couple of months ago. I even blogged about it. (Let me outta here! LOL)

Seriously though, I'm staying put for now, but when I move it will be to a place similar to what you describe. It was rather like that here but then ALL THE DURN PEOPLE SHOWED UP! (Thanks for visiting, now GO HOME)

Columbus Georgia?
Spartanburg South Carolina?
Cherokee territory?
Greensboro North Carolina?
Somewhere in South Carolina?

Of your choices, I'd pick Cherokee territory. I might pick Georgia, but not Columbus. I'd skip SC altogether. (For a lot of reasons - the coastal areas would be similar to FL, for one thing)
Greensboro area has experienced a lot of growth the last 10 years. PM me if you'd like more particulars.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I took your quiz, ma'am. My choices kept me firmly in the Southeast. (Most of them in NC!)

The only exceptions were 2 in TX, 1 each in MS, AL, TN, and KY. Not bad for an online quiz.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Mine wanted to send me to Kentucky or Tennessee.

GPatten

Dang...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
forum.m1911.org
Well, I received some strange places out of the territory I had picked. The choices I received were:

Paris, Tennessee
Maryville, Tennessee
Guntersville, Alabama
Hopkinsville, Kentucky
Clayton, Georgia
Dillon, Montana
San Marcos, Texas
Sandpoint, Idaho
Alexander City, Alabama
Clarksdale, Mississippi
Kerrville, Texas
Sheridan, Wyoming
Kalispell, Montana
Gainesville, Georgia
Marble Falls, Texas
Hancock-Houghton, Michigan
Helena, Montana
Oxford, Mississippi
Fredericksburg, Texas
Glens Falls, New York
Littleton, New Hampshire
Berea, Kentucky
Lewiston, Maine
Lewisburg, Pennsylvania

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
I'm moving at the end of the summer, but we're staying in the same place. :) (moving out the small house, moving in a bigger one and adding a foundation) I'm not looking forward to the transitional period at all.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Clayton, Georgia
I'd check that one. I've looked at it online before. realtor.com and such. Take a vacation and check it out.

(Unless you love snow, I'd skip Montana)

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
aadams73 said:
Here ya go:

http://www.findyourspot.com/

You can imput all your criteria and it will tell you which places meet your wants and needs.

I bombed out on the first question, which asks what sized-community you want to live in, but doesn't list wilderness areas...

I'll go back and choose something else, though. Is it only for the U.S.?

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Yeshanu said:
I'll go back and choose something else, though. Is it only for the U.S.?

I believe so.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
GPatten said:
Well, I received some strange places out of the territory I had picked. The choices I received were:

San Marcos, Texas

That's one I wouldn't recommend to you based on your "wants". San Marco is home to a growing college community and also-growing outlet malls. Heaps 'o bugs, regular threats of wildfires, and not all that much rain to quelch it. On the plus side, not too far down the road is Rudy's BBQ--the best darn BBQ on earth.

GPatten said:
Fredericksburg, Texas

Fredericksburg is gorgeous, especially in spring time.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Dang! It's only for the US...

It was kind of fun. I wish there was one for Canada, though. It suggested Hartford, Connecticut as my top spot.

GPatten

Dang...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
forum.m1911.org
Yeshanu said:
Dang! It's only for the US...

It was kind of fun. I wish there was one for Canada, though. It suggested Hartford, Connecticut as my top spot.

Well, you’ve got some darn nice territory in Cannada I would like if it weren’t so cold, or hard for me to change my country; this would be hard for you to change too.

GPatten

Dang...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
forum.m1911.org
Unique said:
Clayton, Georgia
I'd check that one. I've looked at it online before. realtor.com and such. Take a vacation and check it out.

(Unless you love snow, I'd skip Montana)

Yah, I'm looking at that one too. I going to need to so some things now, and I need to go soon. thank you all.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
GPatten said:
Well, you’ve got some darn nice territory in Cannada I would like if it weren’t so cold, or hard for me to change my country; this would be hard for you to change too.

It's only cold in winter, contrary to the beliefs of a few Americans who come up here in the summer with skis on the top of their cars. :D

Actually, the cities they gave me were all in the northeast, because one of my requirements was snow in the winter. I love summer, but I also love spring and fall and winter. I could never live in Florida or California year round, even if they were in Canada.

And yeah, I'd never consider moving out of Canada. I'm Canadian, and I'll be that way until I die, God willing.

And I accept that Americans would feel the same way about being American.

Jerry, wherever you end up, I hope it's perfect for you.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
I'd pick Greensboro, but that's ca'se some of my family's from there originally.

Check out the McConnell Road area...used to be a lot of pecan trees along there.....

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
GPatton, I'd have put you in Kentucky, Tennessee, or West Virginia.

Places get lots of flack from avowed cityfolk like me (someday, I'll be able to afford Seattle, Boston, or NYC!) but one cannot deny the gorgeous beauty of the land.

Ever heard of Lookout Mountain, TN? Sure you have. That's where Rock City happens to be.

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Jaycinth said:
I'd pick Greensboro, but that's ca'se some of my family's from there originally.

Check out the McConnell Road area...used to be a lot of pecan trees along there.....

There still are, I think. This area is great. A few hours drive will get you to the mountains or the beach, and if you like to play golf, forget about it. This place is sick with golf courses. And pssst! (you can still buy a very nice house with property for 150k, but don't tell anybody, okay?)

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
SC Harrison said:
There still are, I think. This area is great. A few hours drive will get you to the mountains or the beach, and if you like to play golf, forget about it. This place is sick with golf courses. And pssst! (you can still buy a very nice house with property for 150k, but don't tell anybody, okay?)

Dam*, SC! Don't let the cat out of the bag. There's too many people moving here as it is; there won't be room left for me!:rant:

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
The area around Cherokee, NC is beautiful and one of my favorite vacation spots.

I border on KY and there are plenty of beautiful places there. If you really want quiet, I live in what's basically a retirement town. There are no mountains, but there are lots of tree and critters. It's beautiful to live in town and feel close to living in the country.

GPatten

Dang...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
forum.m1911.org
I'm confused.

Jaycinth said:

I'm confused. What state is Greensboro in?

Status
Not open for further replies.