The Trial Runs of Fascism

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
To grasp what is going on in the world right now, we need to reflect on two things. One is that we are in a phase of trial runs. The other is that what is being trialled is fascism – a word that should be used carefully but not shirked when it is so clearly on the horizon. Forget “post-fascist” – what we are living with is pre-fascism"

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/f...flow-1.3543375

I posted this in passing in another thread, but it's worth repeating. This is everywhere. Fascism appears to be a necessary component of late stage Capitalism. As tinier groups of people control and commodify resources, and destroy the environment, to gather wealth into more and more concentrated hands, it is required (by those groups) that public resistance to such a system, be quickly and efficiently obliterated. The best system of such methods is fascism. Hence its ugly rise once more in the Post-Industrial West.

We must all take a stand, while there is a chance of fighting this growing threat to freedom, decency, and human survival on this planet. Though, with gerrymandering efforts, Russian propaganda, and digital vote tampering, it does not seem the voting has the power it once did. Nevertheless, vote. Protest. Support activist causes. Write diatribes against the gathering darkness. Public ridicule and shunning of fascists and their enablers. Contact your elected representatives, and let them know how you feel. There is still hope that these growing fascist movements can be stopped in their tracks.

Remember that fascists do not argue in good faith and therefore it is no use debating fascists. The fascists gain power and control through the support of white supremacist, anti-LBGT, xenophobic agendas. Hence, the Muslim ban regarding immigration, the removal of trans rights, and children in cages are clear signs of fascist agenda exploding in clear view in American. Brexit with it's clear xenophobia in Britain. The list is endless, as fascists have infiltrated conservative parties worldwide and threaten to push humanity into annihilation to preserve a system of profit for the elite minority that is unsustainable.

I urge you to vote, to resist, to protest, to speak out, to hold your public officials accountable.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I am afraid you are right, Diana, and I also fear that attempts to communicate these fears to elected officials will result in them dismissing many of us as paranoid or conspiracy minded.

The thing I don't know is whether or not the changes we are seeing in many western societies right now is a result of conscious, deliberate planning by the Right, or whether it's an emergent property of the system of capitalism we have in place.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I am afraid you are right, Diana, and I also fear that attempts to communicate these fears to elected officials will result in them dismissing many of us as paranoid or conspiracy minded.

The thing I don't know is whether or not the changes we are seeing in many western societies right now is a result of conscious, deliberate planning by the Right, or whether it's an emergent property of the system of capitalism we have in place.
I don't think it's possible to understate the impact of climate change. As the world becomes more difficult to inhabit and populations need to migrate to survive, there will be more and more wars over resources, and more and more governments proactively pushing the "this stuff is OURS everybody else eff off" agenda.

Humanity does itself no favors by dividing into factions, but it seems to be an enduring trait of ours, self-destruction be damned.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Extra brave, because for the first time in my life, I'm unemployed and looking for work, and a quick google search reveals that I'm a prominent trans woman, occultist, and has-been fantasy novelist coming off a failed attempt to found a trans asylum colony in France. Now, we add anti-Capitalist and anti-fascist, and I'm pretty much doomed. But, I can't be silent, not with the forces of corporate inhumanity striving to place that boot on our throats, forever. But, thank you.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Oh, conservative and evangelical think tanks have spent years figuring this stuff out, add in Russian intelligence, who have never stopping plotting the downfall of the West. But, it also appears to be, as you say, and emergent property of capitalism. So, both, in my opinion.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Today's parallels with pre-Fascist Europe in the post-WWI years are really really disturbing. The xenophobia, racism, and quick willingness to blame "the other" for problems are precisely the seeds for the cancer than grew into WWII.

caw

Reactions: MaeZe

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for bumping. I find this a realistic hypothesis:
Fascism appears to be a necessary component of late stage Capitalism. As tinier groups of people control and commodify resources, and destroy the environment, to gather wealth into more and more concentrated hands, it is required (by those groups) that public resistance to such a system, be quickly and efficiently obliterated.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
One article I just found discusses the fact that even though those who follow or research extreme far-right groups and culture in this country knew damned well they were threatening violence, most simply assumed it was more of the far-right's bluster and hyperbole.

https://www.npr.org/sections/congre...1XxiJSHirnGyzMazyVtOaPRo-qHvNZq_FAD4WdSi4y9vk

One problem is these guys have been so vitriolic for so many years now, that it's become sort of "normal" for them to say they're going to shoot someone in the face, harass and threaten people and institutions, and even to issue bomb threats. Remember the gamer gaters* bomb threat that no one in authority took seriously except the person at whom it was directed (she cancelled the talk)? It's become so common to dismiss them as hyperbolic assholes without real teeth, never mind that one of them does go around the bend from time to time and shoots people. But we shrug off mass shootings by lone gunmen in this country as background noise now.

So the argument is how can they sift through all the shit that's out there and know what constitutes a genuine threat, because taking every single threat of violence seriously would mean being on constant red alert for terrorism.

But what's changed is that it's not just a group of like-minded idiots on the internet egging saying they want to hang Pence and shoot Pelosi, it's the POTUS of the United States encouraging their violence (and setting up widespread mistrust in the electoral process months before the election).

In light of that, I still think the various agencies involved should have been taking the right wing threats of violence surrounding this election much more seriously, and the GOP establishment certainly should have realized where this was going. But no, they repeated the lies, encouraged and enabled their POTUS and his worst followers at every turn.

*While there is no comparison between raging about changes in the video game industry and trying to overturn an election, I am betting that gamer gate was a gateway to radicalization for at least a few of these guys, and I am guessing there is some co-morbidity with the whole rabid puppy group in the SF and F community too. The "I am a victim of a world that is changing so people like me are no longer universally regarded as being at its center" thing seems very integral to right wing thinking, and it can start with relatively small things.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
I worry that we are looking at a future where the thugs who tried to destroy our government in Jan 6, 2021 will be lauded as heroes and martyrs.

I cannot find a source, but I'm sure I've seen several hints that they are planning something for today. I hope it's just their usual bluffing.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Reactions: Introversion

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It‘s definitely culty. Jesus wept.

Only white supremacy can possibly explain why conservative evangelicals support this man. He’s the most flawed man ever to attain the presidency. His life is one long litany of anti-Ten-Commandments behaviors. But he sure does hate the same non-whites they hate. 🤷‍♂️

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net

Students Say They Were ‘Duped’ Into Attending Twisted Religious Event

The East Baton Rouge school system in Louisiana has been accused of tricking hundreds of high school seniors into attending a religious event this week disguised as a college and career fair.

After students arrived at the venue—a church called the Living Faith Christian Center—they say they found something much different than a career fair called the “Day of Hope.” While several colleges did have a presence at the event, students said the emphasis appeared to be on something else entirely.

The pupils were reportedly separated into two groups by gender, forced to register to vote in order to obtain the promoted free food, and listen to speakers share disturbing stories of rape, suicide, and abstinence. One teacher claimed in a Facebook post that some transgender students were bullied by their peers at the event.

Now, a group called “Day of Nope” is seeking to file a lawsuit over the episode and asking attendees to share their experiences via a new website. “This was supposed to be a college fair, but the girls were talked to about abstinence, bullying, and death. And the guys played games,” one student told ABC affiliate WBRZ, which reported on the latest backlash to the event.

“Boys were encouraged to perform macho acts while girls were advised to forgive men who rape and assault them,” says a GoFundMe for this litigation effort, which had raised $75 as of Saturday. “Speakers subjected students to graphic tales and reenactment of suicide, which left some students with past loss due to suicide disturbed and upset with no emotional support to help them. Students were found in the bathroom weeping.”

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
If only Jesus were coming back.

Matthew 7 21-23

21‘Not every one who is saying to me Lord, lord, shall come into the reign of the heavens; but he who is doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens. 22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, lord, have we not in thy name prophesied? and in thy name cast out demons? and in thy name done many mighty things? 23and then I will acknowledge to them, that — I never knew you, depart from me ye who are working lawlessness.

• Love
Reactions: CWatts and frimble3

Brigid Barry

Under Consideration and Revising
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What Introversion said with a 😲 for good measure.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
If only Jesus were coming back.

Matthew 7 21-23
When Jesus comes back he's going to treat all those people who used his name to harass and abuse others as they deserve.
It's going to make what he did to the merchants and the moneylenders at the temple seem like a walk in the park.

Reactions: CWatts

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When Jesus comes back he's going to treat all those people who used his name to harass and abuse others as they deserve.
It's going to make what he did to the merchants and the moneylenders at the temple seem like a walk in the park.
Ask him to get a wriggle on, would you - for Pity's sake if nothing else.

• Haha
Reactions: frimble3