Earnings by picture book authors

ktwills79

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!
I'm curious as to how much of an advance debut picture book authors are usually offered? I have a day job and am not expecting to make any serious money if/when I get published, but I am curious as to how much is standard? I just read that less than 10-20% of kidlit authors earn out their advances which, I have to say, is pretty discouraging. Just trying to get more info so I can be better informed. Thanks in advance ; )

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
There is no standard. Here are some factors: print hardcover or print-on-demand or e-book or paperback only. There are many combinations and possibilities for a first book here.
Agented or unagented.
Platform or other built in following. For example, if the author has written for many parenting magazines and has a parenting blog, this may be a debut picture book, but the market is primed.
How commercial is the book? How likely is it to spawn a series or a TV show?
How good is the author at negotiating if there is no agent?
Small independent publishing house or imprint at one of the biggies. (in other words, what can the publisher afford?)

This next one is a guess on my part: Cost of production. A book that needs special features and costs more to produce will be more expensive to sell. A lower advance will make it more likely to earn out.

Advances range from $0.00 to thousands, even for debuts. And keep in mind that the illustrator has to be paid too. Author and illustrator share a pot. So a well-known illustrator who commands more up front but may lead to greater sales could also mean the author earns a smaller advance.

I hope this helps.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Author or artist or both? As for earning out advances, there are a lot of authors who don't. I have one non-fiction book still earning royalties that will, if we stay on track, earn out about 17 years after publication. :)

Jeff

MS KIKI

Banned
Reaction score
A while back advances were about 6K for an author. Hope it's more now! :)