• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

My book is a mess, help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

flowerburgers

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
So...I've been fumbling around with the same characters for about three years now, and I've wound up with a handful of short stories, one novella, and a near-complete (but short!) first draft of a novel involving them. Originally, the short stories and novella were in a collection with other unrelated stories, a book I'm really proud of, but the novel has felt lacking for a while, and I got the idea to merge all the material into one book and expand things--something that my mentor has really pushed for, an idea I've resisted until now because I love the flow of the short story collection. However, I've had a two-month dry spell thanks to a very overwhelming full-time teaching gig, and I started rethinking both books in part just because I need a way back in. I think, with some work, the merged stories could make for a really fun and cohesive book, but I'm completely overwhelmed by the amount of material I have, adjusting the timelines to make things fit together, adding new material, etc. I think part of the problem is that I don't have complete faith that this is the best route to take, and part of the problem is that I see myself as a writer of short fiction who suddenly has a chaotic 75,000 word manuscript, which feels like way too much to handle. I have confidence that it could work as a longer book with multiple points-of-view, but I'm stuck with where to begin, it's just so huge to me.

Also: an agent whose representation I'm seeking loved the short story collection and asked me to write a novel to pair with it, which is how the original novel emerged. I asked her how she'd feel about me dismantling the story collection to expand the novel, but I haven't heard back yet. Though I don't want to be swayed by industry expectations, I want to ask, what do you think is more marketable? A short story collection and a short novel (perhaps 55k) or one novel in the 80-90k range? All literary fiction. What should I do? I almost finished the novel but hit a dead end with it, and adding in the other POV character invigorated me a little bit...but I still can't really write forward, and I think it's because I'm overwhelmed and lack confidence. I don't know how to get back on track. Would really appreciate advice!

Last edited:

unthoughtknown

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jennifersando.com
Based on what you what you wrote, it sounds like you know what you want to do.

It's possible that the short story collection is best off as a novel, but going by your feelings (the overwhelm), perhaps you aren't ready to write it/transform it yet. Or, perhaps not ready to let go and trust its evolution.

I would leave it until you are sure and in the meantime begin work on a new novel to compliment the existing short story collection -- like the agent suggested.

If I'm wrong on the reasons behind the overwhelming feeling, do you use Scrivener? If not, get your hands on that, it's an amazing program and will help you organise your material.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I can't speak to what you've got specifically, obviously, but in general a straight novel is going to be more marketable.

As to how to put it together, have you considered just trying to organize from scratch?

Write up a basic beat sheet type deal for the novel, major plot points, etc., on a couple pages. then inventory what you've got and pick what fits in to that. Or, start over with something new and come back to this later.

NateCrow

Registered
Reaction score
That sounds like a tough one.

First of all, I’m no marketing expert, but I’m pretty sure that a 80-90K novel would be more marketable than a 50K novella/short collection. That doesn’t necessarily mean that it would be better, or that it’s what you should do, but there you have it.

If you did want to turn it into a novel, I’d say that you might end up having to re-write a lot of it if you want it to be coherent and flow nicely. I would probably start with an outline and come up with a “new” plot that you can use to pull in different aspects of your existing stories. Personally I’m a plotter, so this is always my first step, some prefer to “pants” it, but in your case, you already have an outline (your existing work) but it’s not organized properly for a novel and I think that’s the first thing you should do. Use brain-storming, flow-charts, index cards, whatever might work best for you.

You will probably be able to recycle some material, but I know—if it was me—I’d probably end up writing the majority of it from scratch. So—if it was me—I would probably prefer to just come up with a good idea for a new, related novel and keep the short story/novella collection separate and intact. The alternative that you're suggesting sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

I hope some of that helps.

flowerburgers

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you guys for these responses. The novel-in-progress, before I merged it with the other stuff, was about 50k and almost done, so maybe I should just keep it separate and think about how to expand it? I'm really stuck with everything and have been for a while--not sure how to finish it, not sure where else I could expand. The agent wants the novel to be at least 60k, but I'm just not very comfortable writing long stories. Novella-length is my favorite.

NateCrow

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you guys for these responses. The novel-in-progress, before I merged it with the other stuff, was about 50k and almost done, so maybe I should just keep it separate and think about how to expand it? I'm really stuck with everything and have been for a while--not sure how to finish it, not sure where else I could expand. The agent wants the novel to be at least 60k, but I'm just not very comfortable writing long stories. Novella-length is my favorite.

Without seeing what you've got to work with, it's hard to say, but you don't sound like you're very satisfied with your novel at this time. Do you feel like it's missing something? Maybe a sub-plot (or two) could be added to round it out a bit.

I also started with short stories and I've noticed that I tend to write a little lean on my first draft. I often need to go back and flesh things out after the fact. Is there any chance that might be true in your case?

flowerburgers

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it's a bad novel--I'm just stuck with it and I can't for the life of me figure out how to make it longer. I'm also stuck with the ending, but my gut sense is that it doesn't need more than 5,000 words to reach its conclusion because most of the plot points have been resolved. It was on pace to be novella-length until the agent told me that she needed at least 60k, so even reaching 50k was huge, but writing long works just doesn't come naturally to me. I'm endlessly frustrated by these industry expectations! I wonder if I should add other POV characters? It's the only thing I can think to do to expand it.

NateCrow

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think it's a bad novel--I'm just stuck with it...

OK, sorry. I may have misunderstood your comments.

I know the feeling of tackling a novel after being used to much shorter works. Before this year, the longest thing I wrote was maybe 5K and now I'm almost 80K deep in a story that will probably end up at about 85K. I agree that it's a very different experience, but I'm enjoying it.

If you don't think it's under-written at all, the only other thing I can think of is a sub-plot. It may be useful to help show another side of your characters and may also include other POV characters. If you're not sure how to finish the story, maybe this new plot thread could help you get to your conclusion somehow.

Last edited:

flowerburgers

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that could work! I just have to brainstorm possibilities and keep an open mind. Thank you all for these responses, they were helpful and comforting :)

flowerburgers

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I think I may have solved my problem...I have two stories about the protagonist, situated before the main events of the novel, and I think they work well as a kind of prologue. They were, at one point, included in this book, and weaving them back in brings the unfinished draft to 56,000 words. I'll have to write a few new stories to replace them in the collection, but I figure the novel would be the book to get published first anyway (KNOCK ON WOOD). God, I hate this word count thing! I'm so grateful that the agent is willing to consider a 60K book since I know that it'd be impossible for me to make it to the standard 80K! And the nice thing about this is that I can leave my novella intact, which my gut was telling me to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.