• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Book royalties - taxable income?

Forgerd

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I got my book published and I'm now receiving small royalties - I was wondering if I have to declare these as income? I already have a full time PAYE job & pay tax which I've calculated here, and I doubt the kind of money I get is remotely a blip on HMRC's radar, so I'm not concerned as such, just if there is any growth I'd have to suddenly declare income which might seem odd to them. What would be the best way of going about this?

Thanks in advance :)

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
You will need to tell the tax man your earnings. You can do this on a self-assessment form.
Contact the tax people and ask them to send you one
I have found the tax people to be friendly and helpful. The tax office has access to everything and it is a mistake to believe they might not notice you. It is very likely to be true, but if you take the risk, you must also be prepared to take the consequences, if it's not.

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Forgerd. The UK tax folk are extremely helpful. Don't hesitate to contact them.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
ALWAYS declare your income, no matter how small!

I decided to pay quarterly wage tax when I started to bring in money over a decade ago, in order to save paying penalties at Christmas. One check I sent in was for the amount of 38 cents.

I kid you not.

I got a letter back, demanding to see my Schedule C (it's a form freelancers use to declare income). Since we use H&R Block to prepare our taxes every year, it was easy to copy it and send it in to prove that I wasn't making much money - but I'd be damned if I didn't send in what they were owed, even if it came to only 38 cents.

They never asked again.

Cross your T's, Dot your I's and pay your taxes. Nothing worse than being surprised by an audit or having to pay a huge penalty 'cause it'll come at the worst time possible.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
In the UK, even if you earn under the tax threshold, you still have to declare self-employed income (there may be a low threshold below which you don't have to declare it at all but I don't know the details so it's a lot safer to check). You won't have to pay tax on it until the amount is above the threshold. However, as you have a full time job you'll already be above the threshold so you'd have to pay tax on any additional income. I think you can earn a certain amount of self-employed income before you have to pay tax on it (not certain so again it's best to check). I agree with Bufty's advice about contacting HMRC, telling them what you've earned and they will tell you if you have to complete a tax return form or not and if you have to pay any tax or not. And they can tell you how to do the form (you can do them online), pay any tax or whatever. If the amount's that small then you probably don't have to pay any tax on it but best to call them and check.

Note: just clicked on your link - as you're in a high tax band already, if there are any thresholds for additional income before you're liable to pay tax, they'll be lower for you than, say, someone on minimum wage who's only just hit the threshold in their main job. So definitely better to check.

Also note: you don't have to declare your self-employed income yet, most self employed people will report it at the end of the tax year, and there is a deadline for when you have to do this. But best to call HMRC now so that you get the info you need to do everything right.

Also, congrats on getting published :hooray::partyguy:

Last edited:

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Just to clarify the uk tax rules . You need to declare all your income . The tax pople work out what, if anything, you pay . There is no options .

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Don't forget to also send receipts for expenses, such as advertising, book cover design, editing etc. That's a deductible.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Of course, income is money earned, minus expenses. In the UK you don't need to send any receipts. You just need to keep them for seven years, just in case they ask you to bring them in.

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to be naughty and say I get about $500-1000 in writing income per year which I don't bother to declare.

If it was something like $5000 I'd look at some special tax that might be going in your country - ie: I've heard of a provision that will split the income over 3 years due to it being lump sum, like an advance. So instead of $100K for one year, its $33K over three. There should be a local writer's society that can help with that.