My first 'no'

Dona St Columb

Registered
Reaction score
So I received my first proper rejection this week. I say 'proper' rejection, because I've obviously been turned-down / passed over for things before but this was my first full-length novel submission to a publishing editor so it feels a bit different.

It was off the back of a pitch contest, so I knew they already liked my idea and that I was guaranteed feedback in a certain time frame. Then twenty four hours after the feedback deadline, when I was just beginning to hope that no news might be good news, the email landed.

To be honest, I'm not as glum about it as I'd imagined. I think partly because I was telling myself 'what are the chances of getting a 'yes' on your very first try?!' and also because the feedback was actually pretty positive, as far as rejections go. They liked my voice, but didn't feel the story stood out enough and wasn't what they were looking for, but they'd like to see future manuscripts from me as they enjoyed my style. So I'm chalking it up as a partial success.

I'm not sure where to go from here with this particular ms though :Shrug: Ironically, I think the story is brilliant and was worried it would be my writing that would let it down :rolleyes: which just shows how much of a clue I have and/or how subjective it all is!

NateCrow

Registered
Reaction score
It's definitely subjective. Even if it's not right for them, it might be perfect some place else. Just keep sending it around and keep writing.

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Get to Query Tracker and learn how to use it, read EVERYTHING about query letters, query agents first, write your new book and ONE FINE DAY it will happen!!

GreenGrape

Registered
Reaction score
As difficult as it is - that is very positive! Just imagine they had washed their hands of you and ripped your MS apart. Onwards and upwards! Just keep thinking that the next one might be THE ONE. Best of luck to you

bahamaswriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
fayknowles.blogspot.com
Wow, Dona! That's a very "good" rejection! That fact that they say they'd like to see future manuscripts from you as they enjoyed your style is very encouraging. You should start work immediately on another book to submit to them!

PSkertich81

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Awesome bean sauce! They liked your voice, style and want future manuscripts? It should scream, "You got talent as a writer!" Great job, and keep up the good work. One step closer towards getting your work accepted and published. :)

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
Wonder if she ever found an agent and resurrecting old threads just confuses people. I thought this was new myself.

Last edited: