Greetings From Chicago

BlindAsylum

Registered
Reaction score
Hey folks.

I'm ashamed to admit that I've spent the last 18-19 years writing in fantasy wrestling - a text-based roleplaying game involving fictional characters. I have many fond memories from the game, but it hasn't gotten me any closer to pursuing that dream writing career. I like to think my specialty is writing dialogue as I spent 15 of those years writing in script-form; though I'll admit that my prose needs a lot of work. Those days are at long last behind me now though, and it's time to focus on the dream. My main interests seem to be in writing realistic modern dystopian fiction with a good amount of action mixed in. Though I have spent a considerable amount of time with a friend planning out a sci-fi story as well as some other ideas.

I have an idea that's been rattling around in my brain for over a year now. It's a story that I really want to write, and a lead character that I'm really passionate about. I've got a bunch of ideas swimming around for how to make the story together, but putting it all together is the hard part. In the past, I'd just spend a couple hours pacing around before an idea came to me. Then I'd sit down for 3-4 hours putting it down on paper, figuratively speaking. Now though, that doesn't work. I've gone for 3+ mile walks trying to figure out how to make everything fit together, arguing with myself why some ideas are good or bad, settling on one thing and then changing it three weeks later, etc. All of this before actually sitting down and starting to write. I've spent so much time trying to figure out all the little details, and part of me thinks I should just be focusing on the writing and figuring out the small stuff later. Then another part wonders how much prep work I should actually put in before I get to the writing. It's a vicious cycle with no apparent end in sight. And the thing is, I know that once I actually start writing, learning to do the prose will come to me fairly quickly.

As of this moment, my three favorite authors are Mark Goodwin, Dalton Fury, and Duncan M. Hamilton. I enjoy a lot of post-apocalyptic, authentic military action, and fantasy - which fits right into those three favorite authors mentioned above. I would like to read more sci-fi as well, but most of what I've found centers around space warfare - whereas I tend to prefer a lot more ground-based action mixed in. Naturally Star Wars fits that mould, but I've also really enjoyed the Red Rising series.

Beta reading might be both interesting and fun, except I'm a terribly slow reader and mostly listen to audiobooks. So I probably wouldn't be the right person for that gig.

Outside of writing, I enjoy going for brisk walks (good exercise), listening to podcasts and audiobooks, going to Meetups, etc. I'm a Christian who loves to go to church and fellowship with my church family, an introvert still trying to figure out the ins and outs of what all that entails, and legally blind with 20/800 vision in my good eye.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: - BA - Does anybody really know what time it is?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry for your loss of sight and consider you brave, indeed. I can't hear, but not being able to see would devastate me.

Some gifted with all five senses bandy the term "selective hearing." I guess their suggestion is I should "listen harder." I sincerely hope the same types don't suggest you should "look harder."

Welcome to Absolute Write, BlindAsylum. Good luck with your story.

BlindAsylum

Registered
Reaction score
@Chase: Blessings come in unexpected packages. Some people have less vision than I. Plus I was born with my impairment, so I'm used to it now. I can't imagine someone with 20/20 vision or good hearing in your case losing that at some point in their lives. That adjustment would be much more difficult for them than if they were born with the impairment.

Nobody's told me to "look harder," though I suspect most folks - be they gifted with their full senses or impaired in some way - are labeled with "selective hearing" at one point or another.

Alas, thank you kindly for the welcome. My hope is that AbsoluteWrite will help me improve my writing skills.

Soliloquill

Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: Thank you for sharing. It's good to hear that you're pursuing your dream, despite whatever obstacles you may have. Great job on that. I wish you the best :)

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to AW

A.graye

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, welcome.

Walks are excellent ways to clear the mind!

I'm sorry that people told you to listen harder, Chase.

Even when they mean well, sometimes people can be insensitive. I hope we all become more conscious of the way we treat people and make people feel.