• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Which is less controversial and more interesting to write about for historical fiction?

MapleTree889

Registered
Reaction score
The Nicaraguan Revolution involving the Sandinista National Liberation or the Colombian Conflict involving the FARC rebels and paramilitary groups? Which is less controversy and would be more interesting to include in my writings?

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure that the less controversial one would be the more interesting. In fact, I wonder if it would be the reverse.

I remember the Sandinistas from the 80s. Reagan made a big deal out of them, as I recall.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Anything can be controversial. Most anything can be interesting, if viewed the right way.

I'd think less in terms of controversy - people can find controversy in a glass of water if they've a mind to - and more about what you want to write. What story do you want to tell?

Or just write about that glass of water.

MapleTree889

Registered
Reaction score
So writing about either one won't matter? I've never seen anything relating to Colombia, paramilitaries, FARC or female rebels in any fiction so I'm wondering if it's because it's a very touchy topic. Cause I heard there was lots of rape and torture in this conflict for years and has been ongoing.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
So writing about either one won't matter?

Matter to who? Why does that matter to you?

I've never seen anything relating to Colombia, paramilitaries, FARC or female rebels in any fiction so I'm wondering if it's because it's a very touchy topic. Cause I heard there was lots of rape and torture in this conflict for years and has been ongoing.

There's lots of rape and torture in pretty much any conflict you can point to. That's not a sufficient reason to avoid a topic unless you want it to be. It's certainly not a basis to differentiate between the 2 conflicts you propose.

Do your research and write the story you want to write.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Write the story you want to write based on your interests and amount/depth of research you've done, if any. It doesn't matter what our opinions are until you're ready to ask for critique in SYW. Controversy is neither a guarantee nor a deterrent.

Elenitsa

writing as Marina Costa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
caribbeandawn1720.jcink.net
Anything can be controversial. Most anything can be interesting, if viewed the right way.

I'd think less in terms of controversy - people can find controversy in a glass of water if they've a mind to - and more about what you want to write. What story do you want to tell?

This is my opinion too. The fact that it is controversial shouldn't dissuade you from writing. Write the story you want to tell, or the one you can research easier for.

L.C. Blackwell

Keeper of Fort Blanket
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking as someone who writes historical fiction: you probably won't see much about either conflict in the fiction that's published in the United States (if that's what you're thinking of) because these episodes in history aren't controversial anymore. In most cases, they're simply forgotten or ignored.

To be controversial, you'd a) have to write a brilliant novel that would get a lot of attention, and b) frame it in such a way that someone nowadays might feel their political position had been attacked or their toes been stepped on. Rape and torture, I regret to tell you, isn't going to shock anybody unless you happen to be writing for the most conservative part of the Christian fiction market.

I suggest you do your research and get a feel for which potential story interests you. A good, interesting story can be found almost anywhere. Honestly, it's possible to write an interesting dialogue between two stalks of celery sitting on the kitchen cutting board.

Good luck to you, and I hope you find a story you'll enjoy writing. :)

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
An historical setting / event can provide inspiration and fire the enthusiasm to delve into research, but a story starts with an interesting character with an interesting problem.

Until you have that, keep looking. Doesn't sound like you've found your story yet.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I'm probably alone in the belief that an author should NOT avoid controversy. My opinion is that books should be about something - sure, there's definitely a market for shoot 'em up space operas and the like because many people read to escape, but others read to open their mind and provoke thought. However, IMO again, the author has to be careful to not rub the reader's nose in the author's opinion; no one likes that. Be subtle, hint and gently steer the reader to a controversial subject, and then avoid preaching; just show, and let them form their own opinions.

It's also critical that an author does careful research of all sides of a controversial subject before writing about it. A well thought out story about a controversial issue is a good thing - an opinion piece showing a single point of view isn't as good.

Last edited:

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
What interests you about writing about these conflicts? And what does "controversy" mean to you? There are different types of controversy. Some books are controversial because they challenge people to think or they present a viewpoint that has not been shown much before. Some books are controversial because people are uncomfortable with how the subject matter was portrayed and feel that you should have done more research or used more sensitivity.

The former isn't inherently good or bad. There may be times when you want to avoid it or proceed carefully. For example, you may feel that the controversial elements aren't a big enough part of the story to do them justice and that they might distract from the type of story you want to tell. You may feel that your genre isn't a great fit for the subject matter. But this type of controversy isn't always bad, either. A lot of great books throughout history have been controversial.

The latter is hard to avoid completely, but it's something writers should want to do their do diligence to avoid. It's worth doing research and making a sincere effort to handle topics well.

What do you think would make the Sandinstas or the Colombian Conflict controversial in the context of your book? Is it the way you would be writing the subject matter? The way your book would be marketed? I don't think either topic would be inherently controversial on its own.

But I also feel that you have a better chance to doing a topic justice if you write about something that interests you and about which you have a story to tell.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
An historical setting / event can provide inspiration and fire the enthusiasm to delve into research, but a story starts with an interesting character with an interesting problem.

Until you have that, keep looking. Doesn't sound like you've found your story yet.

Agree!