New to Freelance Writing - blog and business site? or all on one site?

DifferentlySeen

Registered
Reaction score
I am new to freelance writing and I am in the process of submitting articles I have written to websites that are in my niche.

Having looked around in this section the advice seems to be that the writer should have their own blog. I fully intend to have my own website but this will be the 'business' end of it. This site will introduce me as the star writer that they cannot live without.... (slow hand clap)

But now I am thinking I should have a blog too that centres exactly on my niche. I have no problem in doing this either.

My question is: could I join these two websites together and have blog and business site all on one domain?

Many thanks.

jbeachum

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, you can and should. The biggest reason is for SEO. You won't get any SEO credit by having two sites, in that the blogs you write won't pass any SEO juice to your main website unless the blogs are hosted under the same domain.

Plus, if someone reads your blog, you want to make it as easy as possible for them to get to your main website to learn more about you.

DifferentlySeen

Registered
Reaction score
Many thanks for your reply. The decision has been made and onward I go. Cheers!

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know a few authors who run multiple sites but it's for a specific reason. One does both LGBT adult and YA and uses a different site, and different pen names, for that reason. Another has two pretty good series running and has a site for each series. I have multiple blogs in multiple disciplines as well as separate author site(s), but it's to separate the blogs, not me as an author. But most authors probably just use a single site.

Jeff

DifferentlySeen

Registered
Reaction score
Many thanks Jeff. I have set up a site promoting my services as a content writer with a blog added so people can see examples of the kind of writing I do.