Enemies of the United States presenting

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
Think humans will ever learn?

No. I have visions of aliens visiting Earth in the future and discovering the archaeological remains of our species and civilisations and saying things like "well, it looks like they evolved to be clever enough to make some pretty advanced technology, but were incapable of properly governing themselves and they failed to look after the very ecosystem that sustained them - seems that's what caused their extinction. The species lived fast and died young. But get this... we've managed to translate some of their writings. Do you know what they called themselves? Homo sapiens sapiens. It means wise, wise man."

As for Trump, I think he deserves his own species name. Homo Australopithecus Ascaris stultus.

neandermagnon

Registered
Reaction score
This president seems to be going the complete opposite of what the GOP stands for - i.e. free trade, open markets and so on and yet the "conservative" congress does nothing.

I also find that weird. And that there's not as much objection to Trump being so pally-pally with Putin (nighttimer's description of it is the best) as I would've thought from the conservatives. It's weird because I'm sure if a democrat had done the same thing there'd be a horrendous uproar about it, probably would already be making moves to get him or her impeached.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I also find that weird. And that there's not as much objection to Trump being so pally-pally with Putin (nighttimer's description of it is the best) as I would've thought from the conservatives. It's weird because I'm sure if a democrat had done the same thing there'd be a horrendous uproar about it, probably would already be making moves to get him or her impeached.

I can't actually remember a time when the conservative party actually stood for what it told people it stood for. Small government, for example, hasn't been part of their practice for at least 38 years.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I can't actually remember a time when the conservative party actually stood for what it told people it stood for. Small government, for example, hasn't been part of their practice for at least 38 years.

I see small gov't get trotted out as a talking point, usually around 'smart' male libertarians online, and appended to arguments about how civil rights should be a states issue. But, for all its hollowness, that dog *will* hunt.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
What he told her was to sue the EU!

Yeah, but my point was how much this reveals about how Spurs thinks. Which is, he gives people orders, expects obedience, and if he doesn't get it, he retaliates. And that's about it. He has no idea how May can deal with the EU under the Brexit cloud, the practicalities that will involve, etc. And doesn't care to learn anything about it. She does what I say, or she's the enemy; that's the depth of his thinking.

caw

porlock

Registered
Reaction score
There are a lot of people today that would fit right in to the governments in "1984." The author did mess up on the date, but I'm not doubting it could happen someday.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, but my point was how much this reveals about how Spurs thinks. Which is, he gives people orders, expects obedience, and if he doesn't get it, he retaliates. And that's about it. He has no idea how May can deal with the EU under the Brexit cloud, the practicalities that will involve, etc. And doesn't care to learn anything about it. She does what I say, or she's the enemy; that's the depth of his thinking.

caw

The irony being May is on "his side," the anti-EU side, the Putin-supported side. But as soon as she didn't take his orders like a 50's secretary, he turned on her. (And it's not coincidental that of all the European leaders, he seems to hate May and Merkel the most. Doubt he could name most of the others save for Macron, who he has a bit of a mancrush on, even if it's not reciprocated.)

neandermagnon

Registered
Reaction score
The irony being May is on "his side," the anti-EU side, the Putin-supported side. But as soon as she didn't take his orders like a 50's secretary, he turned on her. (And it's not coincidental that of all the European leaders, he seems to hate May and Merkel the most. Doubt he could name most of the others save for Macron, who he has a bit of a mancrush on, even if it's not reciprocated.)

I've noticed that, and also that he's shown a lot of antagonism towards Mayor of London Sadiq Khan and I suspect it has a lot to do with him being a brown-skinned Muslim. I was going to say "because he's British-Pakistani" but I can't be certain that Trump's heard of Pakistan.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
I've noticed that, and also that he's shown a lot of antagonism towards Mayor of London Sadiq Khan and I suspect it has a lot to do with him being a brown-skinned Muslim. I was going to say "because he's British-Pakistani" but I can't be certain that Trump's heard of Pakistan.

I'm going to bet that Trump's heard of Pakistan, at least vaguely, because that country was dragged up occasionally by birthers, who Trump has heard of and loves. See, young Obama once went to Pakistan with his college roommate, and this proves (by some sleight of hand) that he's a dirty commie Mooselim and not a natural born citizen.

Could Trump find it on a map? Don't be silly. He couldn't find the US on a map.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Or that map on a wall. If it doesn't have his picture on it, it's just coloured paper.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
45 is being driven by his own internal demon toward more and more extreme ideas and actions. He is addicted to attention, and gets it by doing things that outrage a lot of people. He cannot stand any form of frustration, and becomes irrational when it happens (which it increasingly will do). It will only get worse, and that will happen with accelerating rapidity. His obsession with trying to intimidate the press, for example. I really anticipate that he will try something truly extreme, like having reporters arrested on vague charges like "sedition" in response to critical press coverage. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that he might try to provoke such social unrest that he can try to suspend the coming election, or civil rights or something. It isn't beyond the realm of possibility that he might suspend diplomatic relations with Germany, France, the U.K. or the E.U. in general. Or withdraw from NATO. The tariffs are only a beginning.

He may well try his famous distraction strategy, create a new controversy to stir up more dissension in the U.S., and take attention away from this current focus. How about he pardon's Dylann Roof? That oughtta do it.

We in the U.S. have always thought that our Constitution and electoral system protected us from such an unstable, malevolent fool obtaining the highest office. We have now been shown the naïveté of that view. I hope it hasn't been taught to us too late.

But I still think we will get through this morass. Unfortunately, even when we do, it will take a long long time to undo the damage.

caw

As a trans woman, I don't have civil rights anymore. They're gone. I can legally be denied housing, employment, and medical care simply for being trans. The first rights they came for were trans people... but most people aren't trans so they did nothing to stop it. Heck, they didn't even notice it was happening. More and more marginalized people will slowly but surely lose their rights too. And the privileged will do nothing. The Republican Party is the Enemy of the United States at his point.