Suddenly getting umpteen FB friend requests

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I accepted a friend request this morning from some XXX. I always check the FB page before accepting, and there was nothing about this one that would raise a flag. But since then, I've received a couple dozen more friend requests, most of which say "XXX is a mutual friend." Should I be suspicious? Or is this just part of the weirdness that is FB?

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be wary. I have a couple people on my flist that have reported being inundated with friend requests on a daily basis.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be suspicious. If you don't see some obvious commonality, just say no.

And absolutely have Dennis the person separate from Dennis the Writer.

I had some harassment and related issues, don't much like Facebook, so went from over a 1000 people to somewhere around 30, and am reducing that, slowly, in an effort to move off Facebook.

gimli

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.newperspectivestudio.co.za
Have you been inactive for a long time or not made new friends, facebook will suggest you as a friend to more people ie your face shows up more on their profile as a suggestion to get you a new friend and get you back onto facebook.
Im sure you have seen the attention engineers video on facebook your time and data is what makes them money. A new friend request is ( for most people ) exciting. Who is it? a ex lover? A business partner ? A possible new love interest.... or its just Joe from down the block who finally figured out how to use Facebook.

Be weary you can look at the current profile history if its really new, uploaded a bunch of photos at once or in a short period of time, made a ton of new friends recently then its almost certainly a fake.

paddismac

Parasite free since '09
Registered
Reaction score
I don't do Facebook, but Twitter seems to have had an influx of bot followers lately. Could it be a similar issue? (not sure if bot accounts can get through Facebook's sign-up process as easily as Twitter's)

Status
Not open for further replies.