Mueller indicts 12 more Russians/Indictment refers to an unnamed American co-conspirator

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
(Does the summit have its own thread yet?)

I think I always expected the summit to turn into...whatever that was. You think there would be *some* pretense of a concession on Putin's part, or attempt to make it seem like Trump came away with a win. But all this seems to be is Trump's public debut as Putin's stooge.

The GOP is going to twist itself into knots over this, but we expect them to do nothing, and that's what they're going to do. I have a feeling their wall of protection around Trump is going to break some day, but not now.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I am happy to do whatever I can to put pressure on that wall. Even if we think/know the GOP won't act, I will damn sure keep calling them out, and calling on my own Democratic reps to do more (and thank them for what they do when they fight). I know a lot of us will. I'm a realist, but if I don't do everything I can, I won't be able to live with myself.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Even Fux seems to be flabbergasted. I wonder what Trump will say when he sets foot on US soil? I can only predict that it will be beyond stooopid. This is only getting better. --s6

Teinz

Back at it again.
Registered
Reaction score
Even Fux seems to be flabbergasted. I wonder what Trump will say when he sets foot on US soil? I can only predict that it will be beyond stooopid. This is only getting better. --s6

He can say whatever he wants. His bodylanguage and composure, and those of Putin, told the truth. He's utterly and totally in the bag. And I think people saw that and that it spoke louder than words.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm unsure if this is the right place to post this, but I came across an interesting article that warned Americans of Trump's resemblance to Slodoban Milosevic, and mentioned that the conditions that plunged Yugoslavia into a chaotic, terrible war mirrored modern America's.

Nevertheless, many average Serbs were angry by the mid-1980s, watching their economic security disappear as they faced demographic decline. This came to a head over Kosovo, an autonomous province of Serbia that between the 1950s and the 1980s went from being two-thirds Albanian and a quarter Serbian to 80 percent Albanian and barely 10 percent Serbian. Since much of Serbia’s history was tied up with Kosovo, this demographic decline was met with horror in Belgrade, where many Serbs portrayed it as an Albanian conspiracy to drive them out.
source

And this was written before the mass separation of hispanic families and the explosion of racist incidents.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Never mind. Everything is okay now. Bone Spurs says that Putin has "strongly denied" any meddling in the 2016 U.S. election. That should be good enough, and Robert Mueller can quit now.

caw

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. Is that on the air? I hate to give them a click, but I had to check. It looks like they're still spinning the summit as positive for Trump, but maybe not as ridiculously as usual. Hard to tell. They're definitely not saying what most of the rest of the world is. There's an anti-Hillary story a little lower on the main page, but fish gotta swim.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Some pundits on Fox are trying very hard: this is Trump's clever negotiating, we just have to have faith. He's a genius.

CNN and MSNBC have funeral music playing.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I'm unsure if this is the right place to post this, but I came across an interesting article that warned Americans of Trump's resemblance to Slodoban Milosevic, and mentioned that the conditions that plunged Yugoslavia into a chaotic, terrible war mirrored modern America's.

Shortly after the election there was a very credible journalist from Venezuela who warned how similar Trump's rise was to the rise of Maduro, and how Venezuela was probably a better roadmap for what was likeliest to happen here than Nazi Germany. He went detail by detail and left me very worried. I *knew* at the time I should have bookmarked that thread, but I was so overwhelmed with "what just happened??" I failed to mark it.

But the world is full of examples, I suppose. As with everything, America ain't exceptional (even though our lore wants everyone to think we are.)

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I'm having flashbacks to Bush Jr. staring into Putin's soul and declaring him a good man. What is it about that man that makes him so damn trustworthy?

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But the world is full of examples, I suppose. ...
Indeed there is.

The New Yorker: What Happens When a Bad-Tempered, Distractible Doofus Runs an Empire?
One of the few things that Kaiser Wilhelm II, who ruled Germany from 1888 to 1918, had a talent for was causing outrage. A particular specialty was insulting other monarchs. He called the diminutive King Victor Emmanuel III of Italy “the dwarf” in front of the king’s own entourage. He called Prince (later Tsar) Ferdinand, of Bulgaria, “Fernando naso,” on account of his beaky nose, and spread rumors that he was a hermaphrodite. ...

... One of the many things that Wilhelm was convinced he was brilliant at, despite all evidence to the contrary, was “personal diplomacy,” fixing foreign policy through one-on-one meetings with other European monarchs and statesmen. In fact, Wilhelm could do neither the personal nor the diplomacy, and these meetings rarely went well. ...

... a compulsive liar, and seemed to have a limited understanding of cause and effect....

Wilhelm was a compulsive speechmaker who constantly strayed off script. Even his staff couldn’t stop him, though it tried, distributing copies of speeches to the German press before he’d actually given them. Unfortunately, the Austrian press printed the speeches as they were delivered, and the gaffes and insults soon circulated around Europe. ...

... He reads very little apart from newspaper cuttings, hardly writes anything himself apart from marginalia on reports and considers those talks best which are quickly over and done with.” The Kaiser’s entourage compiled press cuttings for him, mostly about himself, which he read as obsessively as Trump watches television. A critical story would send him into paroxysms of fury....

...During Wilhelm’s reign, the upper echelons of the German government began to unravel into a free-for-all, with officials wrangling against one another....To add to the confusion, Wilhelm changed his position every five minutes. He was deeply suggestible and would defer to the last person he’d spoken to or cutting he’d read—at least until he’d spoken to the next person....

“In order to get him to accept an idea you must act as if the idea were his,” the Kaiser’s closest friend, Philipp zu Eulenburg, advised his colleagues, adding, “Don’t forget the sugar.” (In “Fire and Fury,” Michael Wolff writes that to get Trump to take an action his White House staff has to persuade him that “he had thought of it himself.”)...

More sinisterly, Wilhelm’s patronage of the aggressive, nationalistic right left him surrounded by ministers who held a collective conviction that a European war was inevitable and even desirable.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Jeez. Picturing Trump's face, I can see the moustache and the pointy thing on the helmet. That pointy thing would fit so well under a KKK hood. What is it with bullies and pointy head wear? Oh, wait. I see --s6

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, if that little performance today didn't convince the last of the die hard Trump supports who that man serves, and where his loyalties lie, nothing will.

I'm having flashbacks to Bush Jr. staring into Putin's soul and declaring him a good man. What is it about that man that makes him so damn trustworthy?

Money.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Probably one of the few true things the Russia State Media has reported

Russia’s state-run media channel Russia 24 wants everyone to know that President Donald Trump belongs to Moscow.

Responding to reports that Trump told world leaders at the G-7 meeting in Canada last week that Ukraine’s Crimean Peninsula is Russian because everyone there speaks Russian, the hosts of the Russian version of 60 Minutes victoriously declared that “Crimea is ours, Trump is ours.”

Link-Newsweek

be warned the page is very slow to load

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't want to get too optimistic, but I kept the Fox News page up and refreshed. They have a label across their summit coverage "Bipartisan Backlash." And there is an opinion piece critical of Trump entitled, "Putin Eats Trump's Lunch." This is the pull quote:
For a sitting U.S. president to say publicly that he believes a foreign leader over his own intelligence team is shocking and admonishable. At a time when our democracy faces grave threats, it is deeply troubling that the president would side with the very country who attacked us.

Overall, it's still gentler and more positive to Trump that it should be, but this is Fox! I rechecked the url to make sure I wasn't at a parody site.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
WOW! This is the name that a Canadian friend gave me--Maria Butina-- this winter. My friend told me to watch for news on this name under a front called Guns For Russia--which is insane. No gun possession for private citizens in Russia allowed so that name is crazy. My friend had the NRA ties down, accused this Butina of funneling money from Russia to the Trump campaign through the NRA. I've said this before but at the time I thought my friend was a little nuts but now ….? Also she said that Butina was really a change of Putin and claimed she is Putins daughter. Crazy as it sounds it might be true, too! The Indictment on Butina did mention a gun organization! --s6

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
WOW! This is the name that a Canadian friend gave me--Maria Butina-- this winter. My friend told me to watch for news on this name under a front called Guns For Russia--which is insane. No gun possession for private citizens in Russia allowed so that name is crazy. My friend had the NRA ties down, accused this Butina of funneling money from Russia to the Trump campaign through the NRA. I've said this before but at the time I thought my friend was a little nuts but now ….? Also she said that Butina was really a change of Putin and claimed she is Putins daughter. Crazy as it sounds it might be true, too! The Indictment on Butina did mention a gun organization! --s6

When did your friend bring it up? Butina's been in the news before the charges.

Daily Kos, May 2018: How Maria Butina Young Gun Advocate From Siberia Helped Russia Penetrate the NRA and Elect Trump

Picture caption: "Maria Butina at the NRA Annual Meeting in Nashville, April 2015"

The Senate Judiciary Committee said Wednesday that the Russian government apparently used the National Rifle Association to help Donald Trump’s presidential campaign in 2016. “The committee has obtained a number of documents that suggest the Kremlin used the National Rifle Association as a means of accessing and assisting Mr. Trump and his campaign,” according to a report on the panel’s preliminary findings on Russia and the presidential campaign. The NRA may have been used to “secretly fund Mr. Trump’s campaign,” the report states. While the report didn’t discuss the documents, it said two Russian nationals—Alexander Torshin and Maria Butina—were “involved in this effort.” Torshin, a member of Russia’s central bank, hosted an NRA delegation in Moscow in 2013. Butina, founder of a pro-gun group in Russia, boasted at a Washington, D.C. party following the election that she was “part of the Trump campaign’s communications with Russia,” The Daily Beast reported last year....

At 23 years old in 2011, this dynamic young woman was named the founding Chairman of “The Right to Bear Arms,” a fledgling Russian version of the NRA. The organization had been created by in 2010 as one of the last wishes of Torshin’s good friend Gen. Mikhail Kalashnikov, the inventor of the AK-47. The Right To Bear Arm’s honorary members included Torshin and an impressive list of other members of the Russian Parliament including top brass from the right-wing nationalist LDPR and Rodina parties.

In 2011 Torshin also began his relationship with the NRA. Torshin had cultivated a friendship with a conservative gun loving Nashville lawyer G. Kline Preston IV. The two had met in 2009 when Preston, who specialized in Russian legal work, had briefed Russian legislators in Russia on implementation of immunity agreements, also known as ‘plea deals’. Preston then served as an international election observer in the 2011 legislative elections in Russia, “which sparked mass street protests in Moscow charging electoral irregularities, but Preston said he concluded that the elections were free and fair. By contrast, Preston brought Torshin to the US to observe the 2012 US election and said he and Torshin saw violations of U.S. law — pro-Obama signs posted too close to a polling place.” In 2011 Preston introduced Torshin to David Keen, then the NRA President.

It's one of those people you pay attention to when the news comes out Russia is laundering political donations through the NRA, but that you don't remember the name until something like criminal charges are made.

*She's not Putin's daughter.

Last edited:

Technophobe

Registered
Reaction score
I saw someone on Twitter say that Trump is like the abusive step-father that tells you it's your sister's fault he hit her, because she didn't do what he wanted. I agree. And the GOP has internalized it.

Also. The Republicans that don't see anything wrong with this whole Russia situation: aren't these the same people that screamed and raged about ACORN until it was defunded?